• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2023 at 6:50 PM, badback83 said:

Thank you!  I must've missed that.  

No worries! 163 pages is unwieldy (:

I changed the link to take you directly to the summary, which is probably more helpful than a YouTube video. If you're looking for anything else, please don't hesitate to ask 

On 12/27/2023 at 6:39 PM, Bill1 said:

That's me. I am in no way associated with CGC other than using them like any of us do. Pretty much our only rule is no CBCS and be nice. Many of us simply can't seem to do that, so I gladly help them move on. And no one was banned for talking about this, but their post was removed, and the first 10 or so were given the reason why. After that, if I removed one and the person kept re-posting, I removed them. When CGC finally has an official post, we will gladly post it. But going off of some you-tubers with a bunch of allegations, and then allowing the more enthusiastic members to try convince the majority of us that the sky is falling is not what we are there for. Lots of work has gone into this problem by several of the members here, and I am sure we all thank you for that. Lots of accusations and theories have come from others, and we don't thank you for that. Enjoy this great hobby, and don't let this kind of problem ruin your month. Remember, at least in my group, 80% of the members don't and likely won't ever have a Hulk 181, and no one is counterfeiting the latest Venom variant.

Agree to disagree!

On 12/27/2023 at 6:51 PM, boreds said:

So this 9.8 Mark Jewellers Secret Wars 8 is at $3,349 and ends in less than two hours. I believe it was a member of the boards who posted this book, as was mentioned earlier in the thread. It looks like a legit 9.8, coming from a trustworthy source.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285600398199?hash=item427f1c3b77:g:Th8AAOSwTGRldTw6&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0Dj2Y3tWA6wo0gzpW81ETKPk7HQFcwc5pAndirD%2FbJ77Y9s3lhxgIfQ%2BlKIRAgGDYqt%2BHOc%2B4fZ7fbV4F%2BbpBKC2Q5XJj1vZLKcwEpNhc9KQI4Bkw6ZzxBwfUUL7%2FsYVWPC0QD0ZLr1%2B8YT1iSSwlfv1%2FsKtOjD6s8BnPP80iane%2FoNZFSnpMW9uMtQ%2FcQDEoUII5N4X%2FqYHZFzsHEnQztjLloXUVfhVlv4zHDMKu3AzmYvx0w%2FbgI46M9uf4FFNz%2B2qdvqeympWOFhGje9g4wQ%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR9qql96VYw

Meanwhile our friend Briva's book "sold" for over 21k a few weeks ago. I doubt this was an actual sale, as he ended it early and was obviously shill bidded to the moon... Yet still I feel real bad for the trustworthy seller who is going to take a massive hit because of scumbag Briva. 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/235352700169?mkevt=1&mkpid=2&emsid=e90001.m43.l1123&plmtId=700008&mesgId=3016&mkcid=8&ch=osgood&bu=43473349826&trkId=b9ade879-3043-4bd1-bc5d-bf16a474ebcd&cnvId=700003&recoId=235352700169&recoPos=1

Let's hope the scammer doesn't wind up winning this book and have it reholdered as the Leonardo Da Vinci Variant.

On 12/27/2023 at 8:53 PM, WestcoastDAVEngers said:

I mentioned it on the live stream, mostly because of the press release wording and timing of them announcing the scans - 

"Imaging all comics and magazines after encapsulation and making them available online is the latest way that CGC is adding value, safety and transparency to the pop culture collectibles market. Now, when collectors enter a collectible’s CGC certification number to confirm its description and grade in the CGC database, they will also be able to reference an image of the collectible. This will help collectors verify that their CGC holder is genuine and has not been tampered with."

This could mean that the scammer only used the reholder process to update scans since last summer… could have (maybe) been tampering with the holders and swapping inner wells and resealing (per that youtube video earlier today) long before that.  The scans may have been a step in the right direction to prevent him/this scam but it seems the guy may have outmaneuvered the half a billion dollar company yet again!

They really need to keep all historical scans of the book with the cert # in the census.

This is all such a bummer!

Spoiler

IMG_3572.gif.aed2f8395e90b136d2561218d3d755ca.gif

Edited by Iconic1s

On 12/27/2023 at 5:32 PM, Prince Namor said:

When I used to sell raw comics... no WAY in hell was that ever a 'possible' 9.8. 

If that's a 9.8, CGC is missing a LOT of potential 9.9's and 10's they have out there graded as 9.8

The inconsistency is just grotesque.

I looked at the scans and the book looks like a 9.6/9.8 candidate for me. Please note that the white line along the spine is due to the CGC scan. I see that stupid line on all my CGC graded book scans, but it does not exist in reality. 

On 12/27/2023 at 4:38 PM, BrashL said:

Newsstand 9.9 knows who the original scammer is and said he has seen him selling on Instagram and at shows. Even if this was just one guy (and it’s not) it’s not limited to eBay

just FYI. It hasn't even been 24 hours since the guy that does the videos with him, came on here, and said that that is not true.

He is not certain who the original scammer is, and he has not seen him selling at shows.

On 12/27/2023 at 9:23 PM, sledgehammer said:

just FYI. It hasn't even been 24 hours since the guy that does the videos with him, came on here, and said that that is not true.

He is not certain who the original scammer is, and he has not seen him selling at shows.

I think Dave said he hasn't taken pictures of him at shows. I originally made that statement, but was incorrect.

On 12/27/2023 at 7:21 PM, Sigur Ros said:
On 12/27/2023 at 4:30 PM, VintageComics said:

On a side note, I asked and got word back from Comiclink regarding that ASM #129 CGC 9.0 from the exchange that was discussed earlier, and that specific book has been checked and is not considered to be a part of this problem

So the seller of the book says "this one is fine".

Whew.. good to know.

No. I'll put in crayon for the kindergarten students. 

CGC looked into the book and said it was fine. 

I know you think you're doing all the heavy lifting with your one-liners but there are a LOT of people co-operating behind the scenes. They're just not making YouTube videos or posting here to announce it. 

On 12/24/2023 at 9:27 PM, VintageComics said:

The information I have received, which I have shared with a boardie in this thread who is on top of the discussion, is a very different name.

What I suspect, and this is just a guess, is that when the seller allegedly found this way of gaming the system they possibly started using a pseudonym. 

The name from the information I received is linked to an older eBay account and not the newer accounts, and they may have changed the registered name on eBay at some point at roughly the same time the alleged gaming began. 

That's just a spitball guess at this point. 

That's interesting. Someone came on the thread, a boardie from Canada, that doesn't post often (actually, he really never does), and proved that the ebay seller shipped his purchase from a USPS location in Kew Gardens, NY.

He bought an IH 340 from him/her/it..

Can you at least say that YOUR suspect is in the Brooklyn area?

What are his initials?