• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2023 at 10:36 AM, paqart said:

I think the CGC response is appropriate. That said, it just occurred to me that CGC's liability for damages only goes as far as the buyer's cost. Meaning, they won't be compensated for the lost opportunity of a resale for a higher price. There may not be a way to do that. However, if I was a comic book investor, and all the comics targeted by the fraudster are "investment" comics, I wouldn't be interested in buying the comic and tying up my money if I knew I would only get the same amount back. That is a loss also, though one that cannot be precisely calculated, so buyers are likely out of luck on that point.

I’d imagine some will be resold to another unexpected buyer. I’m obviously not advocating that, but some (not all) of those that bought as an investment unhappy with whatever compensation they may receive from CGC will undoubtedly try to sell the problem to someone else without disclosing it and will keep attempting until they find someone who doesn’t research the cert number. 

On 12/29/2023 at 3:43 AM, wiparker824 said:

I’d imagine some will be resold to another unexpected buyer. I’m obviously not advocating that, but some (not all) of those that bought as an investment unhappy with whatever compensation they may receive from CGC will undoubtedly try to sell the problem to someone else without disclosing it and will keep attempting until they find someone who doesn’t research the cert number. 

That's what happened with the ToyToni Star Wars figures. A lot of people tried to palm them off rather than be stuck with worthless figures. It was surprising how many folk didn't keep up with the news back then. Would the same hold true now? It'll be interesting to see. 

On 12/28/2023 at 12:45 PM, Cat said:

That's what happened with the ToyToni Star Wars figures. A lot of people tried to palm them off rather than be stuck with worthless figures. It was surprising how many folk didn't keep up with the news back then. Would the same hold true now? It'll be interesting to see. 

What a debacle that was. 

On 12/28/2023 at 12:23 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

No one should use the card market as an exemplar of confidence, safety and lack of fraud. Sheesh... there are counterfeit Chinese PSA slabs on the market with counterfeit cards... trimmed and doctored cards are rampant... it goes on and on and makes this issue look like small potatoes in comparison. :facepalm:

My exact quote to @delekkerste regarding this current CGC Comics situation. "I was looking at buying some comics but will probably just stick to trimmed sports cards for now."

While about 5 years ago I sat out of vintage graded cards despite by growing interest due to the number of trimming along with some bleaching scandals.

With a lot of collectibles you either need to get out or  Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Fraud.

On 12/28/2023 at 12:45 PM, Cat said:

Speaking for myself, I've lost all interest in 9.8's.

On 12/28/2023 at 12:51 PM, paqart said:

Speaking for myself, I've lost all interest in 9.8's.

You shouldn't.  From what I know, you are not pursuing the high value rare variant 9.8's from 40 years ago.  No one is targeting next month's 1:25 retailer variant Batman comic in a 9.8 to run a scam with. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 12/28/2023 at 10:53 AM, Buzzetta said:

You shouldn't.  From what I know, you are not pursuing the high value rare variant 9.8's from 40 years ago.

Why is it that CGC’s current problems are coming from these “variant” things going on? Mark Jewelers variants, Acetate variants…

On 12/28/2023 at 11:42 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I'd like to retract my previous statement of 'liking' the RFID scenario. lol

You do realize everyone in this forum has multiple RFID cards in their pocket right now. Every credit card has one.  Cell phones are also a wonderful tracking devices. RFID needs to be scanned in order to be trackable, it has not power source of its own, and only puts our a short range signal when hit with a reader at the correct frequency.  

So yes they can track you, but it needs to be scanned in oder to do so.

On 12/28/2023 at 10:55 AM, Mdesimone said:

My books were graded and shipped yesterday 

Time to jump on Amazon and get that heat gun shipped Prime!

On 12/28/2023 at 10:57 AM, drotto said:

You do realize everyone in this forum has multiple RFID cards in their pocket right now. Every credit card has one.  Cell phones are also a wonderful tracking devices. RFID needs to be scanned in order to be trackable, it has not power source of its own, and only puts our a short range signal when hit with a reader at the correct frequency.  

C’mon, I was trying to be part of the conspiracy cadre!

On 12/28/2023 at 12:37 PM, wiparker824 said:

They’ve been out of office for holiday. I believe 22nd and 25th.

I had a magazine order arrive a few days ago and another one ship today. It was in Grading/QC for an abnormally long time after being charged (pre-screen), I kind of figured this might have something to do with it. 

On 12/28/2023 at 12:57 PM, drotto said:

I know.  That's why my one credit card that I have with me is in a sleeve.  

I directly know of someone who took his son on vacation to the Dominican Republic.  He had his son walk up to tourists with a reader and get their credit cards.   The kid took a hell of a cut and was spending money online with Fortnite like crazy.  Last I saw, the son is not living with the father anymore and let's leave it at that.