• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 12/29/2023 at 3:24 PM, comeaux said:

Did you show up with your CGC tshirt & pom poms? lol

I am assuming then you must be young and under 30 and not understanding how much worse the Ewert scandal was. 

This isnt the first and wont be the last scam in our hobby. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 12/29/2023 at 5:30 PM, Mikey C said:

But the punch bowl is tainted and we’ll never actually know how many people have, are currently or will have tried similar scams with CGC’s $5 plastic case

You gotta love snarky comments like this.  How many of you drank the Koolaid and bought into the idea that your comics were slabbed, sealed and impervious to age for all eternity, only to freak out when your own unrealistic expectations have proven unfounded?  

The golden rule of "buy the book, not the grade" is there for a reason, but it seems many of you forgot that.

On 12/29/2023 at 5:30 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I am assuming then you must young and under 30 and not understanding how much worse the Ewert scandal was. 

This isnt the first and wont be the last scam in our hobby.

He was able to read the first post in the thread, and comprehend it, so you have to at least give him that much.

On 12/29/2023 at 5:30 PM, LordRahl said:

This is something that is likely to have a "fix". I don't know what that is, but it will be fixed. I bet if you put a properly micro-trimmed book in front of CGC today, they wouldn't be able to tell at least 50% of the time.

But a "fix" that doesn't undo the millions of slabs already graded? I find it hard if not impossible to believe. A correction will occur, but fallout hasn't been determined imo

On 12/29/2023 at 3:30 PM, LordRahl said:

This is something that is likely to have a "fix". I don't know what that is, but it will be fixed. I bet if you put a properly micro-trimmed book in front of CGC today, they wouldn't be able to tell at least 50% of the time.

Very very difficult.   

I wish I could go back to not only 2006, but my proper way of trolling people from the early 2000's.  The fact I cant say the meanest spoon anymore breaks my heart more than this scandal ever could lol

On 12/29/2023 at 6:16 PM, sledgehammer said:

This thing is going to blow the Ewert scandal away.

If it does, it's only because this one comes on the heels of a singulary pronounced era of greed and laziness in this hobby.  And it's part of a perfect storm of the MCU imploding and creators fighting with each other over how comics are written.  If you've got money to spend on comic books, the next few years are going to be a good time.

On 12/29/2023 at 3:34 PM, RonS2112 said:

If it does, it's only because this one comes on the heels of a singulary pronounced era of greed and laziness in this hobby.  And it's part of a perfect storm of the MCU imploding and creators fighting with each other over how comics are written.  If you've got money to spend on comic books, the next few years are going to be a good time.

Just so I am clear you saying cause the hobby is heading downward starting in 2024?

On 12/29/2023 at 5:33 PM, LordRahl said:

Truth. The Ewert scandal hit at a sore spot in the hobby... undetectable restoration. This is just a scammer finding a loophole. Doesn't punch in the gut the same way. Not to mention that Ewert was doing this with books that would today sell for 100's of thousands of dollars. Whereas this shmuck is going after low hanging fruit because the real high dollar stuff gets too much attention. Which is the gut punch of Ewert... with all of the attention he still got away with a lot of it.

Ewert scandal was one guy? We have yet to determine how many people were doing this "scandal" (shrug)

On 12/29/2023 at 5:34 PM, RonS2112 said:

I'm pretty sure that this doesn't turn out to be just two small goofs with connected Ebay seller IDs.

Big.

I guess ewert was more than one guy, but still to have it named after him lol

I feel a breeze scandal coming in lol

But this is what two weeks old? And some are already calling it? One can only hope

On 12/29/2023 at 3:33 PM, LordRahl said:

Truth. The Ewert scandal hit at a sore spot in the hobby... undetectable restoration. This is just a scammer finding a loophole. Doesn't punch in the gut the same way. Not to mention that Ewert was doing this with books that would today sell for 100's of thousands of dollars. Whereas this shmuck is going after low hanging fruit because the real high dollar stuff gets too much attention. Which is the gut punch of Ewert... with all of the attention he still got away with a lot of it.

Yup.

This loophole while obviously not good is going to be closed (we hope).

Ewert was the 9/11 of the hobby.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 12/29/2023 at 6:32 PM, comeaux said:

Tell me you didn’t read the thread without telling me you didn’t read the thread

I've read all 201 pages so far.  Anyone looking at the ASM 252 that started all this -- including the CGC worker who did the re-slabbing -- should/could have taken one look at the book attached to that 9.8 and realized something was up.  And the vast majority did not notice anything until it was pointed out to them.  To the tune of "hundreds of books."  But now, EVERYONE is pro, and has some slam to make on the quality of the slabs......85 million units later.

On 12/29/2023 at 3:34 PM, RonS2112 said:

Oh how I wish that were true. If it did I’d say….

IMG_9344.gif.e225252a746faa36aa214a76b78aa4b0.gifIMG_9345.gif.6bc682036feabcab28b6573a766bdc6e.gif

On 12/29/2023 at 6:31 PM, RonS2112 said:

You gotta love snarky comments like this.  How many of you drank the Koolaid and bought into the idea that your comics were slabbed, sealed and impervious to age for all eternity, only to freak out when your own unrealistic expectations have proven unfounded?  

The golden rule of "buy the book, not the grade" is there for a reason, but it seems many of you forgot that.

Thankfully investment isn't a part of my collecting. I just love comic books and only buy the book and don't need a number printed above it of a random stranger's opinion. They're cheap paper products. Why would I need them encased for my PC if resale / investment wasn't important to me? I like to smell my books. Anyways, back on topic....

On 12/29/2023 at 3:35 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ewert scandal was one guy? We have yet to determine how many people were doing this "scandal" (shrug)

Not as important as what Jason Ewert proved to us.

IMO the biggest watershed moment in CGC history.

This is but a warmup to that.