• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 12/29/2023 at 7:22 PM, comeaux said:

Not defending CGC? That’s all you’ve done since you popped into this thread lol

You do the same thing in threads where collectors complain about CGC quality control. 

CGC has been incompetent for over 20 years. Nobody ever said that all fraud can be prevented but at least the CGC slab should not be able to be compromised without detection. They’ve had over 20 years to get this current slab right and it’s still a joke but I understand you have slabs to sell (thumbsu

I’m sure everyone feels better since you’ve assured this will be better in a month, in the meantime you may want to remove the Matt Nelson poster from the ceiling above your bed lol

No I really dont think I have defended anyone, more so saying Ewert situation was way worse in the grand scheme of things.  If the Jason Ewert scandal happened today the page count on this thread would be more than double.

Even "Is pressing restoration," threads were way worse.  Many people from those countless threads said the hobby was over.

Everyone wants a perfect tamper proof case which can never happen, but the case they have now is a heck of lot harder to tamper with then ones from previous generations of the case. Everyone wants an instant fix, guess what they cant re-design the holder in a week with new case supplies from their manufacturer.  So expect books to get graded with the currents cases while they work on a solution/fix. 

The problem I have is so many people such as yourself complain and whine, and say they have all the answers to CGC problems.  Yet I have not seen them open up their own grading company and show me how it is done. Everyone who submits to CGC on a regular basis will have problems at some point each calendar year with some of the books that come back. It's not my job to fix any of the QC problems they have.

On 12/30/2023 at 7:27 AM, Dr. Love said:

Just so.  Red pill yourself, this thing we think of as a book, once slabbed, is just an image and then became  just a number.  Like the idea of money itself, a dream within a dream!

The only point of money is so people dont have to kill each other to get something to eat.

Just trying to keep up with this and thinking...... does anything ever happen to these scammers? Looking back people like DD or "insect color pet" just keep doing what they're doing. Maybe something different. Maybe a little bit less to calm the waters. Pretty discouraging seeing all the detective work over the years but no justice ever becomes of it.

On 12/30/2023 at 8:10 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Prediction: CGC goes bankrupt in 2024 (from a combination of being sued, losing 99% of their business and having to do thousands of free regrades) and a new, competent company takes over, learning from CGC's many, many mistakes.

My Predictions: 

1) CGC will not need to design a new slab to restore confidence in new submissions going forward.  There are easier ways to give a buyer an opportunity to verify that the correct book is in the slab.

2) CGC will offer a discounted fixed price to re-grade high-dollar books sent in with the CGC label.  Will not have to be in the slab.  Allowing owners to crack them out and inspect them before selling or re-grading them. 

3) CGC will work with law enforcement to make an example of this submitter as a cautionary tale to would-be scammers.    

On 12/30/2023 at 11:00 AM, Nick Furious said:

My Predictions: 

1) CGC will not need to design a new slab to restore confidence in new submissions going forward.  There are easier ways to give a buyer an opportunity to verify that the correct book is in the slab.

2) CGC will offer a discounted fixed price to re-grade high-dollar books sent in with the CGC label.  Will not have to be in the slab.  Allowing owners to crack them out and inspect them before selling or re-grading them. 

3) CGC will work with law enforcement to make an example of this submitter as a cautionary tale to would-be scammers.    

I think it would be nice if they offered to crack, inspect, and reseal books for cheap/free at cons, maybe offering 100 such slots per show. Maybe limit it to MVS and page count checks.  It would be a good PR move in my mind.

Edited by Heronext

On 12/30/2023 at 7:38 AM, sledgehammer said:

It took some time, but I finally spotted what is in my mind, an absolute connection between a major submitter and the two names that I believe are involved with the various ebay seller IDs.

Another boardie and I have been bouncing things back and forth for many days.  @Heronext

I've made a video and took photos, of the wife of this submitter's facebook page. Just in case it is made private later.

That facebook page shows a comment from someone named Bree.

The search that I made much earlier for that name, shows someone that has lived in 3 cities, all relevant to this, including Kew Gardens NY

That search shows one of the people connected to that name, as having a name that contains the letters ZANE, which is part of the ebay ID Zaneglor..

An online search of that man, shows a woman in his family, with a name that contains GLOR.  In AZ. He also lived in Kew Gardens.

An online google search of his name, shows at one point, a comment made on facebook by his name, and right next to it, shows a comment by that same BREE name.

On the submitter's wife's facebook page, a friend of hers and her submitter husband, that BREE name, says "thanks for inviting us!"

I'm not going to call out that major submitter here, and ask for a response. It's completely feasible that he is not involved

I don't know if this info would be helpful to CGC, or not. I think it would be appropriate to ask for clarification on this, from the submitter.

@CGC Mike

I’ve seen the same name as you floated around, I’ve not seen the connection to a major submitter though. That’s potentially quite alarming, and my larger fear that there is a larger network involved. Hopefully whoever this submitter is was not aware or involved. 

On 12/30/2023 at 10:03 AM, Heronext said:

I think it would be nice if they offered to crack, inspect, and reseal books for cheap/free at cons, maybe offering 100 such slots per show. Maybe limit it to MVS and page count checks.  It would be a good PR move in my mind.

I think that would be a good move as well.  As for the label-only thing, I've seen books for sale that had the CGC label but were no longer in a slab.  I think we could see more of this as fallout from this situation.  It gives buyers an opportunity to inspect the interior of the book while purchasing.  I think CGC should support this with an offer to regrade those books if they are sent in with the label, say at $50, regardless of value.  No guarantee on the grade of course but an opportunity to get a $3,000 Hulk 181 back into a slab for $50.

On 12/30/2023 at 11:00 AM, Nick Furious said:

2) CGC will offer a discounted fixed price to re-grade high-dollar books sent in with the CGC label.  Will not have to be in the slab.  Allowing owners to crack them out and inspect them before selling or re-grading them

Why would anyone do this? Seems very risky. 

On 12/31/2023 at 3:00 AM, Nick Furious said:

My Predictions: 

My concern is that CGC will go broke from making some very expensive amends and from the loss of trust that is snowballing right now. There's just too much heavy baggage to move forward.

On 12/30/2023 at 8:21 AM, Steven Valdez said:

My concern is that CGC will go broke from making some very expensive amends and from the loss of trust that is snowballing right now. There's just too much heavy baggage to move forward.

How much do you think this will cost them?

On 12/30/2023 at 8:25 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Thousands of free re-grades and reholders? Quite a lot. I can't give you an exact figure just yet, however.

image.png.5968e50022f798537d2508d4c11b88f7.png

On 12/30/2023 at 7:27 AM, Dr. Love said:

Like the idea of money itself, a dream within a dream!

I don't know what you're talking about. I have been assured by the government that all of my money is represented in gold in the Federal Treasury. If I wanted to, I could just go pick up my gold at any time!