• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2024 at 7:52 PM, LordRahl said:

Dupecake being involved wouldn't surprise me. I'm pretty sure he sold out of a Kew Gardens address back in the day and I know one of his shills at one point had an Arizona address. Which are 2 of the current addresses in question. And we know he used shills to sell his material as well. 

Didn’t he post a how to about cracking and resealing slabs back in the day?

On 1/3/2024 at 7:48 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Similarly.... If he faked the sign,  does that mean there are several now qualified and ruined AF 15 out there just so he could pull this scam off. How many times did he actually think a 6.5ss Stan Lee would get through idk

It could actually be legit it’s just was lumped in with his other re holder submission 

On 1/3/2024 at 5:47 PM, agamoto said:

New announcement... Excellent... Except ZERO mention of contacting the FBI. What's up with that, CGC? This is MASSIVE interstate wire fraud.

Why would they mention that here?

Also, that has to be proven.

On 1/3/2024 at 10:48 AM, CJ Design said:

Just a reference to what I said about 200 pages ago...concerning pin-ups...I noticed in "Comic Selects" sold page he had a nice 7.5 FF 4 for $5500. That issue has a Mr Fantastic Pin-up. As I stated (because I'm a Missing Pin-up Freak) many High Value Keys had Marvel Masterwork Pin-ups. This avenue would have been a pricey in, but a nice reward. Just spit balling about another area of deceit for these bums. IE: FF 2,3,4 ASM 3,20,21,23 DD 5, 7 etc

Absolutely, it's not just Mark Jewelers inserts or Marvel Value Stamps.  Missing pin-ups, missing centerfolds - pretty common in GA and SA, interior stains - I have a valuable GA book in a 4.5 holder that has an interior spaghetti stain and that book could easily pass as a 6.0 or better, light back cover stains, restored books, the list of potential books to swap out is endless.

On 1/3/2024 at 4:56 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Didn’t he post a how to about cracking and resealing slabs back in the day?

I'd love to find and read that thread.  Btw, I believe he also had incredible knowledge and expertise with signature forgeries?  I'm pretty sure that's one of the charges he went to jail for...

On 1/3/2024 at 6:52 PM, LordRahl said:

Dupecake being involved wouldn't surprise me. I'm pretty sure he sold out of a Kew Gardens address back in the day and I know one of his shills at one point had an Arizona address. Which are 2 of the current addresses in question. And we know he used shills to sell his material as well. 

Maybe he has Dylan and his System also...:shiftyeyes:

On 1/3/2024 at 8:12 PM, mosconi said:

I'd love to find and read that thread.  Btw, I believe he also had incredible knowledge and expertise with signature forgeries?  I'm pretty sure that's one of the charges he went to jail for...

Pretty sure the thread was quickly removed 

On 1/3/2024 at 5:13 PM, Buzzetta said:

Anyone else go through the list and cross check it with their registry books or am I the only one? 

All good for now here. 

I checked it with my Spidey books as soon as it came out and was able to breath a deep sigh of relief, for the time being... 

On 1/3/2024 at 5:22 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Pretty sure the thread was quickly removed 

I'm pretty sure you are correct that he had a thread like that but I also think it was way back when. 1st gen slabs, pretty much common knowledge those are easy to crack.

On 1/3/2024 at 7:13 PM, Buzzetta said:

Anyone else go through the list and cross check it with their registry books or am I the only one? 

All good for now here. 

I did as well. My asm 300 is safe, along with hulk 181, and all others lol

Thank God, as I had got those 2 from reputable people, but I hope by and large that the " public is satisfied with the list", and somehow it isn't found incomplete or otherwise. :ohnoez:

I'd preferred to wait for the "full list", as I thought there was a caveat that it could be updated with additions later? Maybe I'm wrong about that and will have to recheck

On 1/3/2024 at 8:36 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

Holy &#!. I have a book on the list. FF #2 7.5.  I bought this in 2020 from my local comic book store in California.

It looks exactly like a 7.5, nice with a small stain. Zero red flags.

This makes no sense to me.

FF0002-75A.jpg

FF0002-75B.jpg

Maybe the Thing pin-up is missing

On 1/3/2024 at 3:36 PM, LordRahl said:

There are 57 9.8 ASM 194 in that list. That is like 11% of the total population of 9.8 copies. 

Yup, but that doesnt meant every single book they sold was tampered with.  I mean of course I hope all the people that own books on this list will get the clean bill of health from CGC after they send them in.  Some of these books I would assume were not at all tampered with, I of course could be wrong, but I am hoping a good majority are tamper free. :wishluck:

Edited by NewWorldOrder