• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2024 at 12:30 PM, sledgehammer said:

Looks like 1/8th of an inch is missing from the top of the raw book, compared to the slab.

I don't think it is.

But the book is being offered raw currently, so it’s quite likely it was cracked out of the 7.5 blue holder and manipulated. 

On 1/6/2024 at 1:32 PM, PopKulture said:

But the book is being offered raw currently, so it’s quite likely it was cracked out of the 7.5 blue holder and manipulated. 

Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear.  That's what I'm implying.  Briva3 either sold it to or is working with kellysuperheroes.  Given everything going on, they cracked the case, trimmed and color touched it, and are selling it under kellysuperheroes account.

On 1/6/2024 at 7:25 AM, agamoto said:

hire some outside analytics professionals to analyze submission data and search for patterns to determine if there are other submitters pulling the same tricks

+1 

I do like this suggestion.  It would definitely be beneficial to both CGC and the customers. 

On 1/6/2024 at 8:13 AM, pdags said:

It's uncanny...   The only notable difference is the back, top staple.  Assuming he colored touched it, a few discrepancies may be real.

In addition to selling undisclosed restoration, Dupcak manipulated the photos he used for eBay auctions. This was proven by Red Hook back in the day. RH was well versed in Photoshop (taught graphics creation using PS, IIRC) and identified the below book as being Dupcak’s work.

DD-Avengers-16_comparison_1x1.gif.58ce44df4dfd0c2d0dc0980ab5638fc2.gifDD-Avengers-16_comparison_1x2.gif.f44555e0c355f4b104665570d458ed8a.gif

Edited by MasterChief
image work

On 1/6/2024 at 12:34 PM, pdags said:

Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear.  That's what I'm implying.  Briva3 either sold it to or is working with kellysuperheroes.  Given everything going on, they cracked the case, trimmed and color touched it, and are selling it under kellysuperheroes account.

Unless it’s just a major coincidence that two scammers cross paths inadvertently… hm

On 1/6/2024 at 9:03 AM, shadroch said:

stuff getting mailed from there doesn't mean much

Completely agree. Although mailing addresses can be used somewhat, with all of the 3 party, drop ship, etc mailing companies as well as burner shipping addresses used in scams/ illicit activities these days the addresses themselves may also be a decoy.  Similar to using VPN on IP addresses.  

On 1/6/2024 at 1:37 PM, PopKulture said:

Unless it’s just a major coincidence that two scammers cross paths inadvertently… hm

Dupcak probably bought the slab from him on ebay without realizing who he was. These are books that he specializes in, high end mid grade books that he can work his magic on.

On 1/6/2024 at 1:41 PM, mr_highgrade said:

Dupcak probably bought the slab from him on ebay without realizing who he was. These are books that he specializes in, high end mid grade books that he can work his magic on.

What if, since they are in the same neck of the woods, they just meet up and swap books?

For example: brivas3 buys/trades some books at a con. lets say buys a bundle deal with a ff#4 and asm 300

He trades dupcak the ff#4 to get some books in his comfort zone, like asm 300, asm 194, etc.

Or...

Briva3 trades ducak the ff#4 for services

Dupcak color touches and trims some books. Briva3 submits them for a green label, cracks them and starts the cycle.

Anything is possible.

On 1/6/2024 at 12:32 PM, pdags said:
On 1/6/2024 at 12:30 PM, sledgehammer said:

Looks like 1/8th of an inch is missing from the top of the raw book, compared to the slab.

I'm not an expert of trimming, but my thinking is the raw book has been trimmed since Briva3's post.  Is that how you're seeing it?

In other words, an 1/8th of an inch off the raw is supporting my theory it's been trimmed.

I thought that would be a lot for him to remove.

It's not just that. Same minor darkening of the top front and back cover on the raw book.

Different things. White visible on the spine side of the 12 cents. Color differences. I don't think so.

On 1/6/2024 at 11:34 AM, mr_highgrade said:

adds his special pixie dust to improve them. :wink:

On 1/6/2024 at 11:36 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

No need to bother with reholders when you’ve got pixie dust

On 1/6/2024 at 11:41 AM, sledgehammer said:

Interesting.

USSEARCH.com shows that a "Tinker Bell", lives in Massapequa.

spank-disney.gif.ec23e00349943e9bf7123cb6abe1ea01.gifashy-smoke.gif.a38734477facf8cb1efc2af441d6cdcf.gif

On 1/6/2024 at 1:59 PM, sledgehammer said:

I thought that would be a lot for him to remove.

It's not just that. Same minor darkening of the top front and back cover on the raw book.

Different things. White visible on the spine side of the 12 cents. Color differences. I don't think so.

Would have been great if Danny did buy that FF 4….and it was missing the pin-up