• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 1/9/2024 at 7:43 AM, Panda2 said:

Looking at the Heritage auction last night, there were some pretty soft numbers...cause and effect?

I don't know about the results from the current auctions, but there's some CGC books coming up in the next auction where the grading is...yikes.  Everyone has been saying this scam is confined to certain Marvel books, and maybe it is just the light cannon Heritage uses on their scans, but there's some Gold Key and DC books I'll be giving a hard pass to no matter what the label says.

On 1/9/2024 at 11:17 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Have we seen an example of a SS book that has been tampered with? 

Not that I've seen yet. If somebody can track down a scan of the original label yellow JIM 8.0, that would be helpful.

Note: There is not one SS copy of this book (JIM 85) with a sale date on GPA. Not ONE.

On 1/9/2024 at 11:39 AM, agamoto said:

was just looking at that company’s facebook store page and it’s amazing photos and saw this one.. sure looks like a familiar background. 

gosh,such a nice book. I hope they aren’t a victim of the sinister swapperino too! 

IMG_2670.png.20999190d88c89c89bbb9569e3465c78.png

THE MOST INFAMOUS RUG IN HISTORY.....like a scarlet letter.......

On 1/9/2024 at 12:28 PM, sledgehammer said:

Nothing that couldn't be quickly disavowed. photo from consignor, etc.

Pic is from 2020

sure but the optics are horrible

On 1/9/2024 at 11:52 AM, pdags said:

Has anyone contacted them to let them know comics they own are possibly on CGC's Verification list?

yeah....i'm pretty sure they know

On 1/9/2024 at 5:58 AM, mrd160 said:

Feel like I can say this at this point, I met the scammer personally he was working at the booth of The said shop in Brooklyn at a comic book show. There is definitely a connection between the two what it is I am not gonna say and don’t know but it doesn’t look good. Many of the suspicions books were there and offered to me after the show by text.

Epic Nation?

On 1/9/2024 at 12:41 PM, jas1vans said:

Is this the same shop that someone purchased a book on the CGC list from?

I have the same question. 

Edited by Mikey C

On 1/8/2024 at 7:25 PM, Lightning55 said:

I second this motion emphatically.

New numbers being inserted randomly is a tracking nightmare. Even appending them is problematic, if no one knows there was a change to "The List". Someone here would have to be in charge of updating it in real time to keep it straight. 

Otherwise, over time "The List" becomes "Sorta The List".

Additional cert numbers need their own mini-announcement. In groups, maybe.

Or a separate thread started with the original list, and then posts from CGC as each number emerges and becomes part of the new list.

Just trying to catch up here.  Are you and others saying that even when a book on the "350 List" is sent in for evaluation each the old CGC serial number should remain on the list and even the new CGC serial should be added a new list of re-evaluated books?

Example:  I sent in an ASM #300 CGC 9.8 from the list and then CGC determines it was in fact a 9.4.  So the CGC 9.8 Cert # stays and the CGC 9.4 cert. # is put on a new list for everyone to see?

On 1/9/2024 at 11:11 AM, pdags said:

My wife and I planning on visiting NY this summer.  Can someone list all the reputable stores I should visit in the Queens/Brooklyn area?

Royal collectibles in queens is a great shop. If you go out to long island go to kyles comics. 

On 1/9/2024 at 12:31 PM, mrd160 said:

it feels like this investigation is very similar to OJ Simpson's investigation of the murders....lol Hope I wrong

I don't like being purely speculative, but If the scammer simply stops everything, lays low, and burns all the evidence, I feel he'll get away with it.  I hope I'm wrong, but CGC doesn't seem to have a grasp on the situation and we still don't know if the law enforcement is involved.

Edited by pdags

On 1/9/2024 at 12:58 PM, pdags said:

I don't like being purely speculative, but If the scammer simply stops everything, lays low, and burns all the evidence, I feel he'll get away with it.  I hope I'm wrong, but CGC doesn't seem to have a grasp on the situation and we still don't know if the law enforcement is involved.

sadly i agree 100%

On 1/9/2024 at 12:58 PM, pdags said:

What makes you think CGC doesn’t know who the scammer is?

On 1/9/2024 at 12:56 PM, jason4 said:

Royal collectibles in queens is a great shop. If you go out to long island go to kyles comics. 

One of the best. Mike is awesome. Always treats me and my family like gold. Best run shop in NYC IMO. Family owned and operated and it feels that way.

Edited by mrd160

If federal law enforcement was involved, they would not tell CGC to tell possible victims to contact CGC. At best, they'd recommend contacting CGC, or the authorities. They would not have people send in possible evidence to CGC for them to crack open and examine themselves. They would not want other parties possibly involved, even at arms length, to delete records, photos,  change certification numbers, etc.