• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,031 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2024 at 1:43 AM, Samlarn72 said:
On 2/1/2024 at 9:56 PM, Nick Furious said:

Does that look like your book?  Just curious.  

Hard to tell 

:facepalm:

On 2/1/2024 at 11:43 PM, Samlarn72 said:

Hard to tell 

My comic was lose on the bottom staple, And I cant see it on the pictures. It was graded one month after my was missing and a 1.8 can perhaps get a 2.5 on a good day... 

Go through your emails, tell us when you bought it on eBay, and was it eBay US you bought it from or eBay in UK, sweden or somewhere else?

On 2/1/2024 at 7:50 PM, Heronext said:

Different crime, different case

Yes but..... Using (abusing) the exact same reholder system for said crime, they had to be involved in some way to be doing the exact same thing, so they are very very related if not part of it. Might be part of accepting holders that are damaged for reholder, because we now know the wife worked at conventions and even involved in receiving comic books...which is interesting.

On 2/2/2024 at 6:39 AM, HighGrade said:
On 2/1/2024 at 6:50 PM, Heronext said:

Different crime, different case

Yes but..... Using (abusing) the exact same reholder system for said crime, they had to be involved in some way to be doing the exact same thing, so they are very very related if not part of it. Might be part of accepting holders that are damaged for reholder, because we now know the wife worked at conventions and even involved in receiving comic books...which is interesting.

Nobody knows. What is going on in this case, goes back much further than their hire dates at CGC. It easily could be other people there involved in the past, but we can't say anything definitively yet.

On 2/2/2024 at 6:29 AM, agamoto said:

Go through your emails, tell us when you bought it on eBay, and was it eBay US you bought it from or eBay in UK, sweden or somewhere else?

He mentioned raw, in 2007.

If it was just graded now, there may have been substantial changes in the condition in 16 years.

If he doesn't have documented evidence from recently of what it looked like before he sent it in, and he can't even tell from looking at it if it's even his,  it's probably not going to help much.

Edited by sledgehammer

If you look at her sold sales and what she has for sale you will find books were sold but now are relisted even after she sold the book 2 or 3 times AMAZING SPIDERMAN 4 sold 2 times and this one Amazing Spider-Man 6 CGC SS 9.8 Virgin Variant Signed By Peach Momoko 1:500 Silk she has for sale now was sold Jan 7 2023 for $550

On 2/2/2024 at 5:15 AM, sledgehammer said:

Nobody knows. What is going on in this case, goes back much further than their hire dates at CGC. It easily could be other people there involved in the past, but we can't say anything definitively yet.

Agreed, there's zero evidence that connects these two people to this reholder incident. What it does demonstrate, quite loudly, is that CGC has weak internal controls in place guarding over their process and that bad actors can and do exist within the company ready and willing to take advantage of any weakness in that process. Mr. Nelson maybe was a little quick on the draw during his hobby hero interview when he quickly denied any possibility of someone helping the mark jeweler fooler from within. I'm sure you'll agree that we can't just dismiss the person of interest's claims of connections within the company simply because Mr. Nelson says it isn't so in light of this new incident. 

I wanted to add something about the grader they're accusing in their complaint. There's no mention of him on the "meet the graders" page, now or in any of the past snapshots I've looked at captured by the wayback machine. I wonder why that is. 

On 2/2/2024 at 5:20 AM, sledgehammer said:

If it was just graded now, there may have been substantial changes in the condition in 16 years.

If he doesn't have documented evidence from recently of what it looked like before he sent it in, and he can't even tell from looking at it if it's even his,  it's probably not going to help much.

I saw that, but was hoping he could dial it in a little closer and peg it to a sale from the US or UK as worthpoint doesn't track sales on eBay country tld's outside of those two. 

• Administrator
On 2/2/2024 at 12:29 PM, agamoto said:

I wanted to add something about the grader they're accusing in their complaint. There's no mention of him on the "meet the graders" page, now or in any of the past snapshots I've looked at captured by the wayback machine. I wonder why that is. 

That page is way outdated.  Also, we have several current graders that are not pictured.  I am not sure if it will be updated at some point or not.

On 2/2/2024 at 9:41 AM, CGC Mike said:

That page is way outdated.  Also, we have several current graders that are not pictured.  I am not sure if it will be updated at some point or not.

Thanks Mike!

On 1/4/2024 at 7:25 PM, HighGrade said:

Oh yeah color pop! But I actually go over the current value many times just get the best book and really I think this is mistake people make blindly trusting last sales on GPA, you might see a grossly low price on GPA for a book only to find out it looked poor, or find a grossly over priced book and see it's got superior eye appeal. But I guess many just look at last sales, not the books anymore.

This is the biggest issue with GPA outside of price manipulation.

On 2/2/2024 at 8:20 AM, sledgehammer said:

Just spitballing here, but I would think that any book grading ~1.8 would have very distinguishable defects.

On 2/3/2024 at 9:12 AM, grendel013 said:

What if the Tepezzas were stealing Brieva3's books?? :roflmao:

I could hear the defense now, "we were just trying to help occifer and we were doing great!"

On 2/3/2024 at 10:18 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I could hear the defense now, "we were just trying to help occifer and we were doing great!"

Then Heywood Nelson acts as damage control and publicly states that there is no inside man Hey! Hey! Hey! it was a woman baby! So I ain't lying.

Someone about 300 or so pages back said that they purchased one of the books on the list from the alleged scammer in person. They were also offered other books that ended up on the list. The alleged scammer was not alone.

I get that some people know the identity of the alleged scammer and that is great. Is this person known to comic dealers? Are the buddies known as well? What is preventing these bad actors from clearing out their remaining inventory before anyone gets a chance to name them publicly?

If this was already answered, sorry for the repeat question. Also, thanks to everyone who is shining light on this and sharing what they are able to find.

On 2/3/2024 at 7:39 AM, jas1vans said:

Someone about 300 or so pages back said that they purchased one of the books on the list from the alleged scammer in person. They were also offered other books that ended up on the list. The alleged scammer was not alone.

I get that some people know the identity of the alleged scammer and that is great. Is this person known to comic dealers? Are the buddies known as well? What is preventing these bad actors from clearing out their remaining inventory before anyone gets a chance to name them publicly?

If this was already answered, sorry for the repeat question. Also, thanks to everyone who is shining light on this and sharing what they are able to find.

Like I said earlier.....this thread is like the show True Detective.....no one wants to tell us who the person is that did this....it just goes on....and on...and on,,,,

On 2/3/2024 at 9:49 AM, ramithard said:

Like I said earlier.....this thread is like the show True Detective.....no one wants to tell us who the person is that did this....it just goes on....and on...and on,,,,

I understand why nobody is naming names. It may have been missed, but I don't think there is anything concrete to say "Person X did this." There are strong enough connections that others feel they know the culprit, but I don't think those feelings hold weight over facts in a court of law.

My concern is not that the people who are doing this are named immediately, but that they are known by enough people so nobody else gets ripped off.