• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

This is a 9.4 to 9.8 ASM 238

Remarkable details on this is that the 4235257005 ASM 238 9.8 - Sold 8/13/23 for $3019 AND also Sold 8/1/23 for $2850 (GD: 07/10/2023)

Distinguishing characteristic: after seeing the spine wear on the top tine of the top staple, I was able to essentially match this up to the 9.4 @agamoto was able to provide larger and clearer pics on.

4108422002 ASM 238 - 9.4

4108422002ASM238-84.thumb.png.f8bfbb4eeeeac8455e54a72c1cce2ce6.png

4235257005 ASM 238 9.8

4235257005-ASM238-98.thumb.png.37f6325a37b268210d77a3d439e114a2.png

Edited by comicwiz

On 12/26/2023 at 9:54 PM, darkstar said:

I think the original 6 book order was re-submitted as mechanical errors. The 238 and 252 were sent to CCS, because they didn't pass inspection and were sent for re-grading, which is why their cert pages have grade dates months later, 7/10, instead of the same date as the rest of the order, 4/12.

If you read the posts in the link below starting with the post by Ramithard on Feb 23 you will see this boardie sent a book in for a mechanical error that ended up going to CCS, even though the boardie didn't request or pay for that service. CGC chose to do that on their own, which ended up delaying the simple mechanical error for months. 

Going back to the 238 and 252 the images on their cert pages likely aren't of the books that were graded 9.8 by CGC. Those books, or more likely the labels, were swapped into lesser grade slabs and then submitted to CGC as reholders or mechanical errors - due to case damage or label error. If at intake the books were deemed to not require re-grading then they were sent off to be slabbed, scanned, and shipped - which means the latest scans on the cert page are of a different book than what was originally graded. There is no way CGC is dedicating the manpower to reholders or MEs to the point that every book is being inspected closely to see that it matches the grade assigned on the slab. So unless it is obvious that the case has been compromised or that the book has incurred additional damage since grading then that book isn't going to be subjected to grading again.  

Your post reads like I don't think there is anything wrong going on here, which is obviously not true. This is definitely a big bowl of fraud, but I don't see how anyone at CGC could be knowingly involved. The sheer volume of books CGC receives, not to mention how many orders the scammer has submitted, pretty much eliminates the possibility that one person at CGC could effectively control all of the fraud books at receiving and then steer them through the entire process while at CGC.

Everything you say makes sense (if the scammer is a pro at opening and welding back cases without detection). The biggest issue I have with CGC is how in the world do they re-holder several 9.8 graded books and give the Mark Jeweler designation without opening the inner well first to check? Like I've mentioned before, a Youtuber noted that CGC told him he couldn't use the reholdering service to add a newsstand designation (he wasn't the original submitter), and would need to regrade the book instead. If that's the case, then how could this scammer get CGC to reholder his books to add the Mark Jeweler designation without inspecting the inner well first? At minimum this should've raised a red flag for the reholdering department because 9.8 Mark Jewelers are rare and command a premium. Did CGC even mention to the guy that they would have to overcharge him because the book is now worth over $10k? If the previous submitter was using a cheaper service the first time around for his regular newsstand copy, shouldn't CGC automatically regrade the book because high grade Mark Jewelers command a lot more? 

Honestly, in this scenario CGC should not even give the submitter a chance to get the book back without them inspecting it first (once there is any suspicion). If their recommendation is to open the inner well to ensure there's actually a Mark Jeweler insert in there, they should go ahead and do it anyway. They can't just send the book back to the guy, especially if it had additional defects like the ASM #252 book, and let it be someone else's problem.  My gut tells me that at minimum, the guy found a deep pocketed customer pleaser at CGC who believed his every word and would streamline these reholder requests for him without question. 

@skybolt The scenario darkstar is describing is entirely possible, except @comicwiz just demonstrated that's not what happened at al, specifically with the ASM 238 from that submission group that I'm arguing with him about. He just located the original book that got sent in to become the 9.8 in this reholder/custom label scam. 

It's pretty obvious to me the other re-dated book in that submission group, the ASM 252 CPV, is also not even close to a 9.8 either... We just haven't found the donor book yet. 

You have to figure many books he's either buying raw or locally at conventions or dealers. I'm surprised he'd bother going to the effort of buying a 9.4 blue label when a high grade raw copy would be cheaper. However I guess in this case he wants to submit books that are within "range" of a 9.8, and can get past CGC quality control. However in many of these cases the books obviously never looked like a 9.8. 

I guess he never had the balls to try the scam with a 9.9 or 10.0. Imagine if he had stooped to those levels of the market?

Edited by boreds

On 12/26/2023 at 10:35 PM, skybolt said:

Everything you say makes sense (if the scammer is a pro at opening and welding back cases without detection). The biggest issue I have with CGC is how in the world do they re-holder several 9.8 graded books and give the Mark Jeweler designation without opening the inner well first to check? Like I've mentioned before, a Youtuber noted that CGC told him he couldn't use the reholdering service to add a newsstand designation (he wasn't the original submitter), and would need to regrade the book instead. If that's the case, then how could this scammer get CGC to reholder his books to add the Mark Jeweler designation without inspecting the inner well first? At minimum this should've raised a red flag for the reholdering department because 9.8 Mark Jewelers are rare and command a premium. Did CGC even mention to the guy that they would have to overcharge him because the book is now worth over $10k? If the previous submitter was using a cheaper service the first time around for his regular newsstand copy, shouldn't CGC automatically regrade the book because high grade Mark Jewelers command a lot more? 

Honestly, in this scenario CGC should not even give the submitter a chance to get the book back without them inspecting it first (once there is any suspicion). If their recommendation is to open the inner well to ensure there's actually a Mark Jeweler insert in there, they should go ahead and do it anyway. They can't just send the book back to the guy, especially if it had additional defects like the ASM #252 book, and let it be someone else's problem.  My gut tells me that at minimum, the guy found a deep pocketed customer pleaser at CGC who believed his every word and would streamline these reholder requests for him without question. 

A reholder isn't the same thing as a mechanical error. If you submit a Mark Jeweler copy and CGC grades it but does not note it on the label you can re-submit it as a mechanical error as long as you make the request within the 2 weeks or whatever it is from the time it was delivered. 

On 12/26/2023 at 11:06 PM, boreds said:

You have to figure many books he's either buying raw or locally at conventions or dealers.

In hindsight, none of the books, either the originals or the substitutions, should have been purchased online by the perpetrator.  But working only with "locally sourced material" would have severely limited the inventory and the scope of the operation.  

On 12/26/2023 at 7:54 PM, darkstar said:

I think the original 6 book order was re-submitted as mechanical errors. The 238 and 252 were sent to CCS, because they didn't pass inspection and were sent for re-grading, which is why their cert pages have grade dates months later, 7/10, instead of the same date as the rest of the order, 4/12.

If you read the posts in the link below starting with the post by Ramithard on Feb 23 you will see this boardie sent a book in for a mechanical error that ended up going to CCS, even though the boardie didn't request or pay for that service. CGC chose to do that on their own, which ended up delaying the simple mechanical error for months. 

Going back to the 238 and 252 the images on their cert pages likely aren't of the books that were graded 9.8 by CGC. Those books, or more likely the labels, were swapped into lesser grade slabs and then submitted to CGC as reholders or mechanical errors - due to case damage or label error. If at intake the books were deemed to not require re-grading then they were sent off to be slabbed, scanned, and shipped - which means the latest scans on the cert page are of a different book than what was originally graded. There is no way CGC is dedicating the manpower to reholders or MEs to the point that every book is being inspected closely to see that it matches the grade assigned on the slab. So unless it is obvious that the case has been compromised or that the book has incurred additional damage since grading then that book isn't going to be subjected to grading again.  

Your post reads like I don't think there is anything wrong going on here, which is obviously not true. This is definitely a big bowl of fraud, but I don't see how anyone at CGC could be knowingly involved. The sheer volume of books CGC receives, not to mention how many orders the scammer has submitted, pretty much eliminates the possibility that one person at CGC could effectively control all of the fraud books at receiving and then steer them through the entire process while at CGC.

"I think the original 6 book order was re-submitted as mechanical errors."

What is it that makes you think that?

The 423525700x series is 6 books. WIth the exception of 4235257004, which is a 9.6 238 Direct Market, all the rest are listed in the census as 9.8 books. 

Only 7001 and 7005 have images in the census and have custom labels. Both with graded dates on 7/10 instead of 4/12 like the others.

Your position is that they were sent to CCS for some unspecified errors and that's why the grade dates are 3+ months later.

The book that would later be proven here to become 4235257005 has been proven to actually be a 9.4 book sold by another seller on ebay, almost certainly to our perp, on 4/2/2023.

Do you think it's likely that our perp received the book in time from his ebay seller, and had it added to his submission and shipped to CGC from either Phoenix, NJ or NY, had it looked at by graders on 4/12/2023 and then sent to CCS automatically?

I think it's more likely he sent a different book in to get graded on 4/12 as 4235257005, and then sent it back to CGC with a swapped label so they could "correct" their records or give him the custom label he wanted. 

In any event, he got a 9.8 grade on a book that I can't even believe got a 9.4 given the severity of that staple creasing. 

Either way, we're both still speculating. 

On 12/26/2023 at 11:10 PM, darkstar said:

A reholder isn't the same thing as a mechanical error. If you submit a Mark Jeweler copy and CGC grades it but does not note it on the label you can re-submit it as a mechanical error as long as you make the request within the 2 weeks or whatever it is from the time it was delivered. 

They would still need to open the inner well to check. It's not like they missed a newsstand designation. I was also under the impression that he purchased the original 9.8 copies and wasn't the original submitter on all of them. You can't do mechanical errors unless you were the original submitter.

On 12/26/2023 at 10:23 PM, agamoto said:

@darkstar

So one of the two books you're talking about just got spiked by @comicwiz

Did you want to revise your speculation on what happened to that submission group before one of us finds the match for the ASM 252 in that same submission group?

Revise what speculation? I provided a reason for the discrepancy in grade dates for books that were part of the same order. Again your language seems to indicate that I am denying the accusation that the book in the 9.8 isn't actually a 9.8, when that has never been my position and I'm getting tired of correcting you regarding that. 

On 12/26/2023 at 11:16 PM, skybolt said:

They would still need to open the inner well to check. It's not like they missed a newsstand designation. I was also under the impression that he purchased the original 9.8 copies and wasn't the original submitter on all of them. You can't do mechanical errors unless you were the original submitter.

This changed about a year or so ago I think..,

IMG_3554.thumb.jpeg.c0c3fb496313a5129e80d155302ce3b3.jpeg

On 12/26/2023 at 9:21 PM, darkstar said:

Revise what speculation? I provided a reason for the discrepancy in grade dates for books that were part of the same order. Again your language seems to indicate that I am denying the accusation that the book in the 9.8 isn't actually a 9.8, when that has never been my position and I'm getting tired of correcting you regarding that. 

You're correcting me for something I never said or even implied. I am simply pointing out that your explanation as to why the dates are as they are doesn't make a lot of sense when stacked against the weight of all the over evidence falling out from this CGC nuclear explosion. Disengaging and deescalating right now as NONE of us should be arguing with one another. None of us are the bad guy. 

That last ASM238 9.4 upgraded to 9.8 could simply be a crack out and send to CCS for pressing (maybe use that label later down the line).  It is the same book by my eye, but CGC allows spine ticks on 9.8s.

If the first copy in 9.4 did not indicate that it had tattooz, then I'd add it to the fraud list.  BUT, the case shows it was a tattooz book.  (shrug)