• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will CGC pulp grading start?
4 4

44 posts in this topic

When CGC started out, we already had the Overstreet price guide and Wizard magazine was still in circulation as well. So you were able to reference either or both for valuation, not to mention the growing volume of internet sales. And that helped a lot to build comic collector's confidence for submitting to CGC. But for pulp, a price guide doesn't exist, nor has anyone really bothered to collect and analyze pulp sales data as of yet...maybe GPA will start doing so. And plus, somewhat related, there's no decent reference book on pulps that I'm aware of, sort of like a Gerber photojournal (correct me if I'm wrong on that).

Therefore, to me, the pulp market is a big question mark. I just can't imagine the volume of pulp submissions growing all that much over time - it's very niche. And I see a handful of folks on Instagram hyping it up, a bit of herd-mentality going on there, but that activity seems to be largely confined to that platform. And given how scarce pulps are, I think we'll be seeing the same copy of some of the "blue chip" pulps selling over and over (within a small group of collectors), something like what happens with OA. 

So we'll see...in any case, good luck to those getting into it and CONGRATS to all the OG pulp collectors who've held on to theirs!

Curious what others think.

On 2/8/2024 at 12:03 AM, ComicsAndCode said:

Curious what others think.

Valuing pulps starts with reviewing Heritage’s sales data.  I also have the comic anrt price guide by Jerry Weist. It’s an excellent reference for pulps and magazines.

As to how to value your pulps for grading ask yourself how much would I be satisfied getting from CGC if I never see this again? The answer for me is 95 percent or more of my pulps will go in as $400 or less. 
IMG_0954.thumb.jpeg.9bd797d4ac7930294d957458aa2a41cf.jpeg

IMG_0955.jpeg

IMG_0956.jpeg

IMG_0957.jpeg

IMG_0958.jpeg

IMG_0959.jpeg

IMG_0960.jpeg

On 3/3/2024 at 1:05 PM, Darwination said:

s-l1600.jpg

Happy to see they are catching missing pages.

Why would it get a qualified grade? Because it’s a tacit admission the cover is the only thing worth consideration for the hobby going forward?? Just greasing up the gears and getting that mammoth inertial flywheel going on the commodification engine?

Why wouldn’t it get a 0.5? It’s incomplete. (shrug)

So, seriously, slap me if I'm spammin, but I got another in me eBay emails of interest as far as figuring out how this grading is gonna go

s-l1600.jpg

Even a little glue on the cover seems to indicate resto?  But at the inner spine is far less of a strike?

Looks like there will be some nasty weird menace issues getting the treatment :canofworms:

2.5 again.  Maybe the grades around Good will be much easier on pulps than on GA comics?

Edited by Darwination

s-l1600.jpg

Small amount of glue on the cover getting the purple again and seeming very common.  Just cause it's on the outside? Not that I can see where it is from the auction pic.  The real question is how much the purple is gonna ding the sales price which is hard to tell because I'm not getting a feeling yet for how the grading/boxing is affecting the sales prices either (besides them being generally jacked)

On 3/11/2024 at 12:30 PM, Darwination said:

The real question is how much the purple is gonna ding the sales price which is hard to tell because I'm not getting a feeling yet for how the grading/boxing is affecting the sales prices either (besides them being generally jacked)

Pulp collectors seem to be a hardier lot than their comics counterparts.  They've not only dealt with, but embraced The Man in Purple, The Purple Cloud, The Purple Empire and the Purple Scar.  I suspect they won't be too daunted by the Purple Label!