• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of the weirdest books I own...Hand drawn golden age covers
2 2

15 posts in this topic

On 12/18/2023 at 9:37 PM, waaaghboss said:

Puts this thor I got out of the quarter bins ages ago to shame 😄

2mwor2yu19q41.thumb.jpg.b7152202900e18608968da8da1280651.jpg

"TURN, THUNDER GOD!" Turning might actually take him awhile. He looks like he's fallen and can't get up.

On 12/20/2023 at 1:07 AM, Point Five said:

"TURN, THUNDER GOD!" Turning might actually take him awhile. He looks like he's fallen and can't get up.

I think he's lost a contact. 

These are all awesome. It is cool that someone either tried to recreate or create original covers to their coverless comics. Did they destroy the original covers and realize their errors and try to fix it? Were the comics hand-me-downs from older siblings that they tried to save? Did they buy these coverless copies 5 for a penny at some thrift shop back in the day? All great questions to ponder.

Also, it makes me wonder if any examples of the opposite are out there...someone who had but only an original cover and chose to draw their own comic for the interior. That seems like it would be quite rare to find!

I remember my older brother having a cover less treasury sized Fantastic Four sometime in the early 70s that he made a cover for using a sheet of oak tag that had a glossy finish on one side that was attached to the book by a rubber band going lengthwise around the spine and center of it. From what I recall, he’d done a pretty good job of copying one of Jack Kirby’s covers to make it presentable but I was only around 4 years old myself at the time so what’d I know.

Years later, I would do something similar to a few coverless books I had in my collection but we’re talking decades before everyone carried a camera in their pocket everywhere they went let alone sharing the pics with the collecting community. Wish I had though.

Edited by B2D327