• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BRIVA3 accepted return on eBay for Hulk 340 9.8 newsstand sold in October
3 3

11 posts in this topic

On 12/22/2023 at 9:11 AM, Red17 said:

Dear CGC enthusiasts. I contacted eBay yesterday when I verified that my Hulk 340 9.8 newsstand sold to me by BRIVA3 on October was not a 9.8 copy upon closer inspection with the help of Manu 9.9 Newsstand. I contacted eBay and they originally said it was not within the 30 day time frame. When I told them the seller was a scammer and that my copy was not a 9.8, they said they will look into it. Last night I got the great news that the seller accepted the return. If you have one of these books inspect the book closely to see maybe your copy is a legitimate 9.8. Once again I want to thank MANU,DAVE, MICKEY and RYAN. I can’t thank you guys enough for helping me getting my money back !! I hope other buyers of these fraudulent book are also successful.

So, do you have Briva3's actual name and address then? I'm not asking you to share it here, but I think there will be a number of people (i.e., authorities) who would be interested to learn this information.

On 12/22/2023 at 10:19 PM, agamoto said:

Briva3's name is known to the guy who broke the story 9.9Newstand, he's also known to the consignment group "Grailz" on Facebook as they've been moving some of his books for him. They're keeping the name private for now I guess.

Thanks, I wasn't aware. All good to keep it private, as long as someone has some info that can possibly help rectify this thing.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 12/22/2023 at 10:33 PM, JC25427N said:

I think he's talking about the issue being discussed in 

tl;dr so you don't have to shift through 70 pages is that that seller, briva3, has basically been all but confirmed to be pulling a scam where he is swapping lower grade books into high grade label slabs and reholdering them. 

Thank you - I'll edit my post.  

Hello. I am the Ebay buyer that purchase the two Amazing Spider-Man 238s Newsstand from briva3 or Comic Selects  and possibly by way of ComicLink  an Incredible Hulk 340. I became aware of this scam via the negative feedback left on briva3 Ebay seller account and the podcast provided by West Coast Davengers and 9.9 Newsstand.  I also believe the New Mutants 98 book that was part of the New Mutants Mark Jewler scam that was discussed in one of the podcast is possible a regular Newsstand edition I won in an auction from briva3 prior to the New Mutants Mark Jewelers auction by him. I suspect at last minute he needed the regular NM 98 newsstand as after I successfully won the auction he canceled the purchase through Ebay.  There has been a question of briva3 real name, location and possible contact information. Based on the shipments of the ASM 238s, a conversation I had personally with him as well as messages exchanged and most recently information provided to me by Ebay for the return of the ASM 238 books to him, I have contact information for him.

In my attempt make a claim with Ebay, I also submitted a return request, as that was the only option available, through their resolution center noting that the seller had been identified as defrauding buyers and that I would like to file a fraud claim. My hope was that  using the term fraud would trigger a keyword alert in their system and that someone from Ebay would reach out to me directly. It was to my surprise on Friday that I received a response from Ebay stating that the seller, briva3, had responded and approved my return request for the ASM 238 books. This concerns me as I now don't believe Ebay is aware that this is a case of the seller defrauding buyers and subsequently attempt to take action against the seller. If that is in fact the situation, it ties into my other concern of the books from buyers requesting returns being shipped back to the seller and used later in some new manner to defraud collectors in the future. While I want to be made whole financially, if possible. I don't want the books to be returned to briva3 only to be used in some nefarious manner down the line because of lack recourse or actions that allow briva3 to slip through the cracks. From the perspective of being one of the buyer's impacted by this scam, I would much rather CGC request the books forward to them, make the concessions to the buyers and either retain the books or regrade them accurately to possibly be sold at a later date at the new correct grade. In conjunction with that effort, enact new security measures that prevent a scam like this and the defrauding of buyers, in this manner, from occurring in the future. 

I would like to thank Dave at West Coast Davengers as after receiving the approved return response from Ebay, I reached out to him and he provided me his thoughts on the issue I am facing in returning the books to briva3 as well as recommended that I post on this forum for the perspective, thoughts and awareness of its members. 

Below are the links to the auctions for the ASM 238s I won on Ebay as well as the auction I won for the NM 98 that briva3 retracted the purchase for. If you look at the feedback of the bidding history and feedback count of the buyer for the auctions, you can see they were all won by the same buyer. Also, I have provided a link to the Incredible Hulk 340 that sold on Ebay and then was sold to me via ComicLink a few months later. The certification numbers are the same but I believe the books could possibly be different.

ASM 238s

NM 98

IH 340

Posted in main thread discussing this and posting here for awareness as well

On 12/23/2023 at 3:23 AM, Microchip said:

I do suspect some of the high sales is him setting the market for certain books.   

It's easy enough to do with multiple accounts at your disposal.

The only accounts claiming to have gotten these "fake slabs" are completely anonymous throwaways with absolutely no post history before weighing in on this controversy. None of them have provided even the slightest bit of evidence to back up their claims. It's looking more like online market manipulation rather than fake slabs actually being sold to unsuspecting buyers.

It's important to remember that a completed auction on ebay will show up under "sold listings" even if the buyer never pays. Ebay needs to start verifying account holder identity before an account can start bidding and they need to keep "sold listings" out of searches until payment has been processed.