• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions Apr 4-7 2024
5 5

361 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2024 at 8:19 AM, Bronty said:

That's where my head went to when  I first saw it as well.    Its an appealing image.

Entirely possible. It's multiples of a quality panel page and we know where those are. 
The only limiting factor is the ink-work, as I said, it's high quality ink work but there are certain artists who obtain a premium for their inks over their pencils. 

Given how much lesser quality from other artist and titles we see regularly going for $20-30-40 thousand, it will be whatever the top two bidders feel like paying. 

On 1/19/2024 at 11:20 PM, tth2 said:

Interesting.  How does one price a Ditko Spidey page that features almost every key character from the Spidey-verse at that time, with one notable exception?

It's showing up in Comicconnect past auction results from 2021 selling for $133,000.  Great page!

On 1/20/2024 at 12:20 AM, tth2 said:

Interesting.  How does one price a Ditko Spidey page that features almost every key character from the Spidey-verse at that time, with one notable exception?

Not just the Spidey-verse, but most of the Marvel-verse…just missing Dr Strange and the X-Men!!!

Naturally, I love the last panel (thumbsu

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 1/21/2024 at 1:26 AM, Michael Browning said:

I don’t think it will hit that this time around. The seller’s going to take a loss, I’m afraid.

tough call, let's play devil's advocate...seeing it was a somewhat newer sale, but long enough where maybe there's a few more potential bidders for a page like this? or in a lot of recent cases with art re-auctioned it may go to the underbidder and thus losing the extra bid? food for though but if this page did have spidey in it, it may be a $200k+ page, so without spidey, but still having all the villains (some value the rogue gallery pages as much or pretty close to the hero) it could wind up pretty close or maybe even above where it landed in '21? Even the "sub-par" Ditko spidey pages bring close to if not over $100k+, so this page being so unique, i believe it was marketed before as the only page Ditko did in this era with all the villains and heroes on one page, could still command a premium? again tough to say, but as far as Ditko presentation pieces go, i could see someone wanting this on their wall and thus paying a premium for it. But again the consignor would need another bid or 2 to $150k+ to break even, so maybe you're right, but i don't think they'll take a bath, only time will tell. my 2c:)

On 1/21/2024 at 1:59 PM, 1classics said:

tough call, let's play devil's advocate...seeing it was a somewhat newer sale, but long enough where maybe there's a few more potential bidders for a page like this? or in a lot of recent cases with art re-auctioned it may go to the underbidder and thus losing the extra bid? food for though but if this page did have spidey in it, it may be a $200k+ page, so without spidey, but still having all the villains (some value the rogue gallery pages as much or pretty close to the hero) it could wind up pretty close or maybe even above where it landed in '21? Even the "sub-par" Ditko spidey pages bring close to if not over $100k+, so this page being so unique, i believe it was marketed before as the only page Ditko did in this era with all the villains and heroes on one page, could still command a premium? again tough to say, but as far as Ditko presentation pieces go, i could see someone wanting this on their wall and thus paying a premium for it. But again the consignor would need another bid or 2 to $150k+ to break even, so maybe you're right, but i don't think they'll take a bath, only time will tell. my 2c:)

Good points, all around. I think it MIGHT hit $125K, so it will get close, but I don't think it will surpass the previous sale and, by not doing that, the seller takes a small loss. Maybe the enjoyment of the piece is enough to offset that, but, selling it so soon after buying it less than three years ago makes me think it was bought as an investment rather than a nostalgic keeper and the seller might be trying to mitigate a bigger loss.

On 1/21/2024 at 9:16 AM, Michael Browning said:

Good points, all around. I think it MIGHT hit $125K, so it will get close, but I don't think it will surpass the previous sale and, by not doing that, the seller takes a small loss. Maybe the enjoyment of the piece is enough to offset that, but, selling it so soon after buying it less than three years ago makes me think it was bought as an investment rather than a nostalgic keeper and the seller might be trying to mitigate a bigger loss.

yeah i could see that range, but hopefully for the seller's sake they get 1-2 more bids to get them closer to even. yeah it could've been an investment move and cashing out for another investment or it could also be they got the right ditko spidey page and only want / need that one example. who knows? a lot of comic investors who jumped into the art market didn't quite understand it takes more time and patience with the art. then again, the market seemed to have recovered fairly well this past signature auction, so will results be same or higher than expected? only time will tell. 

On 1/21/2024 at 2:50 PM, 1classics said:

yeah i could see that range, but hopefully for the seller's sake they get 1-2 more bids to get them closer to even. yeah it could've been an investment move and cashing out for another investment or it could also be they got the right ditko spidey page and only want / need that one example. who knows? a lot of comic investors who jumped into the art market didn't quite understand it takes more time and patience with the art. then again, the market seemed to have recovered fairly well this past signature auction, so will results be same or higher than expected? only time will tell. 

Every time I buy at an above Fair Market Value price, I look at the time it will take for that art to mature into the price I paid and will I be able to break even if I need to resell before then. I'm at the point in my collecting life that I've got or had most every piece I ever set out to acquire so now I buy for fun and, sometimes, to get art to resell or trade at a later date, so I look at those things a lot more now than in the past. I didn't go big during the COVID years because I had a gut feeling that people were paying too much. I mean, the guy who bought the Secret Wars 8 page for $3 million set the bar really high - in my opinion, much too high for him to make a profit on that art, so I hope he plans to keep and enjoy it for the rest of his life. I think the ASM page is in the same place this close to its original sale. Now, maybe in five or six years, it could be a $150,000 page, so I'm not saying it won't ever happen.

On 1/21/2024 at 2:16 PM, Michael Browning said:

that's where I figure it - just over six figures; 100-125k.   At the end of the day I would rather have Mandel's scorpion page that just sold.

This has got a lot going for it, but no spidey really kicks it in the nads.

Edited by Bronty

On 1/21/2024 at 2:16 PM, Michael Browning said:

Or offset the purchase of a piece from the recent Heritage signature auction. 

On 1/22/2024 at 3:43 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Or offset the purchase of a piece from the recent Heritage signature auction. 

Yeah we've all been there, so there's a very strong chance this is it.