• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS “Ground Advantage” What is the “advantage”?

38 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2024 at 2:34 PM, Cman429 said:

It’s just renamed First Class according to my PO. I’ve never had any issue with it. I’ve shipped probably 40 items since the switch and often times it gets there maybe a day later than priority for $5-8 less

Same here. Also no more 13oz limit, 70lbs is max.   Time for me is about the same receiving items however that might be attributed to my living under 10 miles from one of the USPS' Largest Hubs.

Edited by MAR1979

It's like when you get notified of "New and exciting changes coming to the program!" (credit cards, airline miles, benefits, etc.) and realize it's new, but usually the opposite of exciting. :cry:

From what I can tell, it's more than just a renaming, but here's what I could find :

USPS Ground Advantage takes over package delivery from First Class, but First Class retains postcard and envelope delivery.
USPS Ground Advantage adds $100 insurance automatically and you can purchase additional insurance.
Prices may be lower (?) - didn't verify this, but that's what they say.
First Class mail was an air service, but now since this is a ground service, you can send HAZMAT stuff (lol).

Cost of some USPS services will go up Jan. 21 but it doesn't look like it'll affect Ground Advantage rates.

Also, this:

With First Class packages becoming Ground Advantage, Certified Mail is no longer an option as an extra service for these items. If you require a signature, Ground Advantage with Signature Confirmation is the recommended alternative. If your package requires Certified Mail, then you must use Priority Mail.

On 1/18/2024 at 4:04 PM, CJ Design said:

..It's a "crackerjack" new name....that's the advantage

So, you're the one!!! :whatthe:, that back in the 1890's said... 

"It was named by an enthusiastic sampler who remarked: "That's a crackerjack!" (Crackerjack is a colloquialism meaning "of excellent quality")"  (thumbsu

On 1/19/2024 at 9:30 AM, marvelmaniac said:

So, you're the one!!! :whatthe:, that back in the 1890's said... 

"It was named by an enthusiastic sampler who remarked: "That's a crackerjack!" (Crackerjack is a colloquialism meaning "of excellent quality")"  (thumbsu

Huh??? hm

Sgt-Schultz2.jpg

On 1/18/2024 at 6:43 PM, comicstock said:

With First Class packages becoming Ground Advantage, Certified Mail is no longer an option as an extra service for these items. If you require a signature, Ground Advantage with Signature Confirmation is the recommended alternative. If your package requires Certified Mail, then you must use Priority Mail.

:ohnoez:

In other USPS news, one of my local clerks is telling me that free Priority Mail shipping boxes will no longer be available at post offices and that USPS is transitioning to making those available by online order only. That would kinda suck, as I use those boxes regularly for comic shipping and I've never had any luck placing online orders for them. 

Is this something he made up on the fly or is anyone else hearing something similar?

On 1/19/2024 at 7:25 PM, Point Five said:

In other USPS news, one of my local clerks is telling me that free Priority Mail shipping boxes will no longer be available at post offices and that USPS is transitioning to making those available by online order only. That would kinda suck, as I use those boxes regularly for comic shipping and I've never had any luck placing online orders for them. 

I order these constantly...like one order a week or every other week. I get everything I order, and shipped promptly.

Do you live in a residential address, or a complex of some sort? I've found that that makes a difference.

On 1/19/2024 at 8:08 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I order these constantly...like one order a week or every other week. I get everything I order, and shipped promptly.

Do you live in a residential address, or a complex of some sort? I've found that that makes a difference.

Yep, I should try again. The no-shows were all when I lived in NYC, and I'm in a smaller town in Westchester now. It just seems a bit absurd for them to withhold the boxes at the PO where it's quite easy for me to grab them, and make a special trip to deliver to me from the same PO. Ah well.

On 1/19/2024 at 8:29 PM, Point Five said:

Yep, I should try again. The no-shows were all when I lived in NYC, and I'm in a smaller town in Westchester now. It just seems a bit absurd for them to withhold the boxes at the PO where it's quite easy for me to grab them, and make a special trip to deliver to me from the same PO. Ah well.

Welp, on the other hand now it will be REALLY convenient for you when they're waiting on the doormat. :foryou:

On 1/19/2024 at 8:31 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Welp, on the other hand now it will be REALLY convenient for you when they're waiting on the doormat. :foryou:

Fair enough! I've just placed an order.

On 1/19/2024 at 7:25 PM, Point Five said:

Is this something he made up on the fly or is anyone else hearing something similar?

FWIW, went to my PO just now and every display slot of Priority Mail boxes for the public is now fully reloaded, as if this whole conversation with them never happened.  ???  (shrug) 

Edited by Point Five