• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Potentially Stolen From USPS Sandman #1 CGC 9.8 Signed Gaiman/McKean
3 3

30 posts in this topic

I cannot believe this is necessary, but here we go again.

On Tuesday, Jan 16, I shipped a Sandman #1 CGC 9.8 Sig Series, signed Gaiman and McKean.

Here's the listing and book:

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204618198634

The buyer requested, and paid for, overnight shipping, and we agreed to use USPS Express. The destination is Baltimore, MD.

Tracking number is: 9471208205499684640600

Here's what the tracking currently shows:

image.thumb.png.6232ac6939153e1f1113be9f26382f0c.png

My local PO said it was in "Kentucky", but I have no idea if that's the case. It's obviously not shown up to the buyer.

The postage, with insurance, was purchased through eBay. I turned the book into the Post Office at 2:38 PM on Tuesday, Jan 16, which is before the overnight cutoff time.

Then...POOF! The book has vanished into thin air.

I'm gobsmacked. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. When the book didn't show up Thursday, I filed an insurance claim with the USPS, and called the US Postal Inspectors and filed a claim with them to investigate. 

So...if anyone runs into this, it would be nice to track it down. This is the second Express package in three months that has NOT been delivered overnight. The first one did show up, days later. What is going on...?

(shrug)

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

I can't say about California or Kentucky.  In my region I've had to go in to the Post Office a few times this year for what ended up being mis-delivered packages.  The first time, 3 comics shipped from different sellers all went to an address over a mile from my house all on different days.  Most recently received a notice to lift a hold to deliver (there was no hold), turned out there was a hold on the address it was delivered to (that one took close to a month to sort out, I had to go to 4 different offices, was told it's gone, then it showed up). 

The USPS at least around me have been working their people 12+hours days for years.  I'm shocked anythings getting delivered.

Here's hoping it's just lost and they can find it.

Edited by kenaran
Typo Fix

I have a piece of artwork I bought that was shipped Priority by the seller on Jan 9, tracking says "USPS In possession of item" in NYC where it was dropped off. No other updates for 11 days - and it was shipped well before the "extreme" weather they are having. (shrug)

On 1/20/2024 at 7:42 PM, Tony S said:

It's not lost. It shows in the system as in transit.  It's going to arrive late.  Just file a claim to be reimbursed the postage costs when it finally does show up. 

It was due to show up on the 17th. How does the USPS "misplace" an OVERNIGHT package? Postage refund aside, how does it go from an OVERNIGHT package to "we might deliver it whenever we get around to it" package?

meh

On 1/20/2024 at 10:08 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

It was due to show up on the 17th. How does the USPS "misplace" an OVERNIGHT package? Postage refund aside, how does it go from an OVERNIGHT package to "we might deliver it whenever we get around to it" package?

meh

I have no good answer LOL. NASA has billions and every once in a while a rocket blows up. Ford sold 4.2 million cars  in 2022 - and a some were lemons.  USPS doesn't meet it's stated delivery time - in my experience - more than seems reasonable.  Maybe it didn't get scanned properly. Maybe too many people called in sick so it just sits a day. But USPS gives the sender the  postage costs back if you ask on the Express service.  Which I will do if they are late. But that doesn't happen often with me, because I strongly encourage customers to just do regular priority mail with some extra insurance and a signature.  The difference in delivery time is often only a day and sometimes - like this situation - no difference at all. 

On 1/20/2024 at 11:39 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

The issue isn't that things happen. Of course they do...which is why, if it had shown up on the 18th, well, ok, get the refund, customer got the book, no harm, no foul.

But it didn't. It still hasn't shown up, four days after it was shipped OVERNIGHT. It doesn't stop being an Express package just because it missed the deadline. It's missed that deadline now four times. If I had a work assignment that is due tomorrow, and something happens...my kid gets sick, my car breaks down, my AI lovebot becomes sentient and ties me up in the basement, whatever...that assignment doesn't stop being due just because I missed the original deadline. The person who gave me that assignment doesn't say "oh, well, you missed the deadline, so take your time on getting it in" if other processes are held up as a result. No, it still needs to be finished, and the longer it takes, the worse it gets.

In this case, the deadline still exists, and it's tomorrow. It remains tomorrow every day until it is delivered. 

And, sadly, the reason why collectibles are shipped overnight...the less time they're in the hands of the carrier, the less chance they have to damage them...is now moot in this case.

If your customers or you are most concerned about damage or getting lost, Registered Mail is the Gold Standard. It also is the slowest. Sometimes lots slower.  Ten business days not uncommon. But lose or damage is nearly unheard of. And insurance costs much less once the package is registered. But I'm pretty sure you know all of this.  And probably have  private shipping insurance.

I cannot say about the US Postal Service. But I worked for a State Agency where deadlines and accuracy of benefits given were the most important.  I was middle management.  And at least where I worked, the big bosses had a view on timeliness just the opposite what you express (and is most fair/reasonable) Their attitude was that once it was late, it was late. That counted against our benchmarks.  But it didn't matter how late. One day late, three weeks late. All the same on the stats.  So the focus was getting as many done on time as possible. Once a case went late, it became a much lower priority. .

Again, I have no idea if there is a similar view at the USPS and other delivery services. And I disagree - now and back then - with that view.  But that view was the prevalent view at the top.  Because for them it's not about the individual case/person and maybe package. It is about meeting the benchmark. Stats. Once late, no reason to hurry. 

Edited by Tony S

On 1/20/2024 at 10:03 PM, Tony S said:

But I'm pretty sure you know all of this.

All packages over ~$1300 are shipped Registered as SOP. Buyer requested overnight, and I always accommodate if I can.

On 1/20/2024 at 10:03 PM, Tony S said:

Once a case went late, it became a much lower priority. .

Indeed. Unaccountable bureaucracy has that luxury.

In the corporate world, thankfully, that isn't usually the case when time is of the essence. When I worked as a project manager in construction, deadlines were not merely expected to be met, but if they weren't (and you jeopardized future projects like that), it was expected that the job be completed, correctly, as soon as humanly possible...and that sometimes meant everyone stayed many hours overtime to get it done. I've worked 36 hour "days" before. Don't recommend it.

Except medical interns. Toughens them up. lol

I will say what my father would say, he worked in a bulk mail center that anything that came in or out of a 4 state area comes through. "It's not surprising things come in late or lost, it's that it doesn't happen more often." And after seeing the semi organized chaos myself that is a feat itself.

On 1/20/2024 at 8:08 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

meh

USPS processes close to 5,000 pieces of mail per second. Mail gets lost due to missed scans of tracking codes. Sometimes it's computer error, sometimes it's human error.

On 1/20/2024 at 10:44 PM, Tnexus said:

USPS processes close to 5,000 pieces of mail per second. Mail gets lost due to missed scans of tracking codes. Sometimes it's computer error, sometimes it's human error.

Understood.

Now. 

How has an OVERNIGHT package gone missing for four days?

Remember: Priority Express is a special service. It is not handled with regular mail. The vast majority of those "5,000 piece of mail per second" are envelopes...bills, correspondence, etc...and advertising. 

Not OVERNIGHT packages.

The USPS has had protocols in place for decades about handling OVERNIGHT packages. They have special cutoff times, and they are immediately taken to the nearest airport sorting facility to be flown to the sorting facility nearest the destination post office, so it can be delivered the next day, if offered.

The question isn't "how can things go missing." It's "how does an OVERNIGHT package continue to be missing for four consecutive (and counting) OVERNIGHTS...?"

:whistle:

Honestly when you take the human factor into account its not hard to figure this one out. Not sure if you all have the bar codes in your mIl boxes but...... when we get our mail they have a picture of the items we can view thru their website and what day it was delivered. Just like this past week,  all this mail was shown as delivered. But we didn't receive squat. But our neighbor did. ??? In fact he received a whole bunch of mail that wasn't his. He had to personally walk around the block and give people their mail. So what happens if your neighbor isn't as honest as this guy? You guessed it. Someone out there has a nice comic that's not theirs. Proper insurance is always you best friend. 

If they say it’s in Kentucky, I’ll go with weather related as this week was historic cold snow and wind.   On Thursday our Walmarts had less than 10% of the produce section. I’ve never seen a store so empty. They said it’s weather related, even though our weather has been normal bad weather for three days. 

I’m pretty sure fed ex is the contractor to ship overnights that are handed back to the post office for the delivery. If they miss the deadline due to weather, they are already refunding those who complain, 1 day or 5 days late is the same cost problem. Mind as well get the other days on time and let the miss load sit until the next day off or Sunday.