• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A superpower that would be lame to your kid-self but that your adult-self would love...
3 3

63 posts in this topic

The ability to not be in pain. That's it. And to share this gift with others. I'd give everything for a day without pain. 

Or the instant ability to know how to use a skateboard. Either/or. 

On 1/21/2024 at 4:30 PM, valiantman said:

I don't remember who posted it, but "the power to manipulate probability" is the single greatest superpower, and not only would kids thinks it's lame, adults do, too.

But think about it... if you had the ability to manipulate probability, you could make things than have a 0% chance of happening turn into 100%.

Do you want to go in a store and find no other customers but yourself? Odds are very low of that happening, but wait, no, the probability just went to 100%.

Do you want to sleep all night without getting up to go pee pee (as someone said earlier)... odds just went to 100%.

Don't forget the classic superpowers... what are the odds you can fly?  Well, it's now 100%.

What would be the odds of dying from multiple gunshots? Pretty high, right?  Nope, it just went to 0%.

What are the odds you could do anything you want and not be seen, even by video cameras?  Well, that's 100%, too.

The power to manipulate probability is the single greatest superpower and both kids and adults would think it (sounds) lame.

What are the odds you read this whole post? I'm going to go ahead and set that one at 20%.

Reminds me of this comic book, mostly because Justice League 6 is one of the books that I vividly remember reading as a child.  My childhood copy is coverless.

IMG_3118.webp.5dcd63704727d7eb5584c001e00265be.webp

Having worked as a professional statistician, you can use probabilities to your benefit.  Jerry and Marge Selbee made $26 million from the lottery using one of two fundamental theorem of statistics, the law of large numbers.

On 1/22/2024 at 8:27 AM, BitterOldMan said:

Having worked as a professional statistician, you can use probabilities to your benefit.  Jerry and Marge Selbee made $26 million from the lottery using one of two fundamental theorem of statistics, the law of large numbers.

I hadn't heard the Selbee story. That's fun because there's not a way to start small and win the actual lottery (the big one, Mega whatever), but that particular game they were playing was so poorly designed that anyone who did the math would realize it. lol

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jerry-and-marge-selbee-how-a-retired-couple-won-millions-using-a-lottery-loophole-60-minutes-2019-06-09/

Then again, we are talking about a comic book probability superpower, and so it doesn't need to follow real world mathematics and play out by those rules.

On 1/23/2024 at 5:34 AM, MisterX said:

Free parking forever!!

Does anyone play THAT much Monopoly to benefit from this one? 

On 1/27/2024 at 5:13 AM, Terry JSA said:

Teleportation

I’d be concerned about getting mixed in with something. The safer, limited version involves line of sight.

On 1/22/2024 at 2:05 PM, Cat said:

The ability to not be in pain. That's it. And to share this gift with others. I'd give everything for a day without pain. 

Or the instant ability to know how to use a skateboard. Either/or. 

That’s a good one.

Not the skateboard, at age 60. The first one.

On 1/22/2024 at 12:39 AM, Krydel4 said:

That's why I said it was more reality warping like Scarlet Witch. Probability by its very nature is never a zero or one it is in between. But as a wise man once said it's impossible to put a Cadillac in your nose.

And now I'm going to be singing that all night...  (thumbsu

everything always works out positively regarding my vehicle.

Some examples:

-No one in front of me when driving

-always make the light

-is always a convenient parking space

-fuel price drops when I need to fuel up

-sale on parts I need

-mechanic fixes it in most economical manner

-absolutely everyone I encounter is obeying traffic laws and is courteous.

-never any construction on the route I drive

Etc

The ability to make a flash bang happen at will, anywhere I can see or see in my mind. Any number, back to back, BlaAaAaAaAaAaAammmmm!

Walk away from that. Or keep doing what I don't want you to do, more flash bangs coming you way, 50 in the time of 2 seconds.