• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Westfield Comic Boxes...
12 12

197 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2024 at 11:42 AM, JollyComics said:

Your wife annoyed you for 17+ years. Wished she knew this was going to be a treasure.

Fun story!

Thank you... have to say she's actually been really good with my collection.  She's surprisingly been very protective of it over the years, even more than I am.  We used to antique a lot and whenever she stumbled across comics, she was sure to drag me over.  99% of the time it was pure junk, but she did have a couple of good finds.  We're empty nesters now though and she is definitely on a purging binge... which I'm on board with too.  We have built up so much clutter over the years!   

On 1/24/2024 at 11:15 AM, EastEnd1 said:

Thank you... have to say she's actually been really good with my collection.  She's surprisingly been very protective of it over the years, even more than I am.  We used to antique a lot and whenever she stumbled across comics, she was sure to drag me over.  99% of the time it was pure junk, but she did have a couple of good finds.  We're empty nesters now though and she is definitely on a purging binge... which I'm on board with too.  We have built up so much clutter over the years!   

I am going to be 60 soon. I am yet an empty nester but within two years. We will be!!!

My wife is a good finder in the antique and vintage dollhouses.

On 1/25/2024 at 6:42 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Did you order many Image books around that time? Any chance you have a Walking Dead or Invincible #1?

I did.  There was a period after Image first exploded on the scene where I was ordering every Image #1, usually in multiples.  After a while though there were too many of them.  The Westfield catalogs would give you a small synopsis of the story and sometimes even have art samples.  Westfield would often recommend certain new titles too.  I used all that to decide which #1s to order and whether to order in multiples.  I'm a huge horror fan and when Walking Dead got hot, I actually went and pulled that box.  I knew I'd ordered at least one copy (since it was about zombies) but was hoping I'd ordered multiples.  Alas, when I went through the box there was only one.  But I took it and put it in my permanent collection.  Still have it raw... if I can track it down, I'll post it.  I remember opening a few boxes after that too looking for subsequent issues... I'd ordered #2 and #3 and then stopped.  Since I wasn't reading comics anymore, I really didn't know what was good or not until I caught up with the word of mouth.  I know I started ordering Walking Dead again at some point and never missed another issue.  

Invincibles #1 I never went back to see if I had.  Hopefully I'd made the Kirkman connection with the catalog and it's sitting in one of those boxes.  We'll find out!

On 1/26/2024 at 11:13 AM, DougC said:

Love this adventure! hoping we some some high number X-Men V2 issues :wishluck:

Thank you!  The first X-Men comic I ever bought was #125 in 1978.  I distinctly remember this cause my best friend and I (both comic book readers) stumbled across our first comic shop in the neighborhood, Richie's Comic Den, then.  And when we walked in, we saw all these old comic books on the walls with "crazy" prices of $5 or $10 dollars.:whatthe:  Neither of us had any idea that comics could be worth money then.  Anyway, a bunch of those wall books were X-Men... and my friend was giddy that he saw an X-Men #94 on the wall, a comic he had, for a whopping $15!  (He still has it btw.)  We couldn't afford those wall books but we each had the $.40 to buy the current issue which was #125.  It was great... we'd stumbled right into the Chris Claremont Phoenix saga and all that fabulous John Byrne art!  Immediately made us X-Men fans and I didn't miss another issue for a VERY long time.  But to answer your question, I definitely started buying the Vol 2 X-Men series... how far I went with it I'm not sure.  But it's very possible I finished the series.  I canceled my Westfield subscription somewhere around 2012.