• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 CGC Grading Contest Season 3 Winter Edition (#9) Round 1
16 16

158 posts in this topic

1 Bullseye (Racket), and two within a grade (Iron Man and Comet), but the two I deliberated the longest, HOS and AiF, I was just a bit too hard on. Pretty close overall, but in this game, with these eagle eyes, "pretty close" will land me near the bottom of the standings!

Racket Squad in Action #1 6.0

Iron Man #4 9.0

Comet #1 7.0

HoS #90 8.0

Adventure into Fear #10 7.5

On 1/29/2024 at 8:51 PM, Panda2 said:

I got the 6.0 on the first book but was a full 1.0 grade harsher on the others(I spent a lot of time comparing to my own graded books) and either things have become more lenient or I am losing my mind. 
-iron man - soft corners, abraded edges, creasing and wear across the top?  9.2?  I had it at 8.5

-comet I was at 5.5 but waffled with a 6. The extra stain and the piece out got me lower

-HOS I saw spine stress lines and some wear that I wouldn’t have thought to see in 9.  I was at 8.0

-fear 10- I thought the abraded corners brought this down but clearly I just have to adjust my grading  I was a full point under on all the newer books  I had this at 7.5

this was a sad round of 8 points

Same exact thinking/grades on the HoS and Fear for me. My initial reaction was that they were nicer (and closer to what ended up being the actual grades) but those little bits of wear allowed me to talk myself out of it.

• Administrator
On 1/30/2024 at 9:07 AM, mikenyc said:

Do they still do the spreadsheet with the standings? 

Yes.  We do one for each round in a separate thread.  I am waiting to get the results/spread from CGC.  I should have it to post between 12:00 and 2:00 today.  I will post a link here, when it is available.

On 1/29/2024 at 8:07 PM, JollyComics said:

Five points with one bullseye.

Same here. Glad I didn't screw up on the first round, though I suspect a few people did better. These were my grades:
image.png.51ddb2e7f2106ce58b59bbd605c92977.png

On 1/29/2024 at 5:10 PM, universal soldier said:

How can a piece missing on that Comet warrant a 6.5? doh! I thought I was being generous with a 5.5 :tonofbricks:

7 points with 1 bull.

Forgot the reveal was last night.  Agreed...I had the COMET at 5.5 as well. :sumo: Also graded the first one a full grade lower at 5.0. ??? Same score...7 points with bullseye on last book.  Not great...but not horrible... :takeit:

Decent 1st round for me.  Only 1 bullseye but I was really close on the rest.

Racket Squad - had it as a 5.0/5.5 - went 5.5

Iron Man - had it as a 9.0/9.2 and went with a 9.0

Comet - had it as a 6.5/7.0 and went 7.0

House of Secrets - looked really nice so had it as a 9.2/9.4 and went 9.4 (doh).  Must have missed something

Fear - had it only as a 8.5 so went with that

5 points and still in the running

I'm not even going to add up my points from the first round.  I don't have enough fingers and toes for that.  :roflmao:

I graded much too harshly apparently.  Really makes me want to resubmit a 3.5 ASM #129 I have that I don't think has as many problems as some of the ones we just looked at.  My goal is to get better every round.  I left myself plenty of opportunity to do that in round 2.  ;)

On 1/29/2024 at 8:51 PM, Panda2 said:

I got the 6.0 on the first book but was a full 1.0 grade harsher on the others(I spent a lot of time comparing to my own graded books) and either things have become more lenient or I am losing my mind. 
-iron man - soft corners, abraded edges, creasing and wear across the top?  9.2?  I had it at 8.5

-comet I was at 5.5 but waffled with a 6. The extra stain and the piece out got me lower

-HOS I saw spine stress lines and some wear that I wouldn’t have thought to see in 9.  I was at 8.0

-fear 10- I thought the abraded corners brought this down but clearly I just have to adjust my grading  I was a full point under on all the newer books  I had this at 7.5

this was a sad round of 8 points

Agreed.  Based on the cert numbers these books were all recently graded.  I'm thinking the same; that grading has gotten more lenient.  And that's what's confusing here.  The standard shouldn't change.  I have a few late 60s Marvels with similar (but lesser) corner and wear defects than the Iron Man 4 that are all 8.5 grades.

I still find the glare confusing. I had 3 bullseyes, and was off by one on the first book, but the Iron Man...I KNEW the white was glare, but I was seeing issues with the lower staple because of the white and since spine lines were mentioned and I couldn't see them, I lowered the grade a lot for both those issues.

There are less glare lines lately, so there is an improvement, but I'm lost when I see the white lines, I mess up every time. Many other people seem to be OK with it...I guess.

I'm not unhappy with the 5 points...I'm thrilled to be in the top half with so many great graders playing, but I wish they would do less very dark books, or fix the glare issue.