• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips for Using Erasers
4 4

51 posts in this topic

I was thinking more about writing on paper....   writing creates an indent/impression on the paper.  Just trying to erase that only mangles the surrounding paper and not the actual writing.  First, you'd need to lift that depressed area back to a level field before trying to remove it.

Reverse engineer the "damage" you are attempting to "correct".

Info for those who haven't read Kaptain Myke's Comic Book CPR and think that perhaps his instructions have created the problem being discussed here: The book strongly cautions readers not to use too much pressure with erasers, to avoid erasure marks and gloss loss. Near the end of a full page of "Eraser Cleaning Practice", he says, "This is a patient man's game and will take time."

Edited by MBFan
typo

On 1/27/2024 at 9:39 AM, comicsbuysell said:

i asked for tips, not a critique. thanks.

The book you speak of is full of bad advise.  It is not highly regarded except by those that have little knowledge and are unwilling to take the time to learn. The answer to your question is simple. It's not safe to do much in the way of cleaning on comics with erasers anywhere except the white areas. But if you clean up the white areas it makes the rest of the book pop. Myke's book literally defines the old adage of "those that can, do. Those that can't teach."  

On 1/31/2024 at 5:45 AM, joeypost said:

Too bad there aren’t any experts giving him advice. 

ouch

but the rest of us have to start somewhere.  (shrug)

On 1/31/2024 at 7:45 AM, joeypost said:

Too bad there aren’t any experts giving him advice. 

Glad you stopped by. You are the only presser on the forum who has ever touched any of my books, and you did marvelous. You no doubt are a pro. How about kindly sharing some experienced advice on this matter?

For one to become a master at his craft, it would be similar to building a ten mile road through the wilderness. :preach:

You would start the daunting task by staring at all the tree's that would need to be removed, the energy to pull up stumps would be tremendous. The soil would have to be graded and leveled, concrete poured and the shoulders formed.  Its a lot of hard work building a road through the wilderness by yourself and working almost every day it would take about 2-3 years of sweat and blisters. 

Once the road is finished, you being the owner could get onto that ten mile road and drive it back and forth each day to work.  Sure there is going to be some maintenance, you will need to keep an eye on filling pot holes here and there and some storms might come through a couple times a year.

Since you built the road through your own sweat and labor of hard work every day.  You have the ability to get on that road and drive 60-70 miles an hour and it becomes so simple to travel that ten miles from point A to point B.  It almost looks easy..........:cheers:

Now Jimmy comes up and says, hey mister can I get on your road and travel from point A to point B?  It looks fast and easy. 

You say, sorry but the only way to drive on a road is to actually build your own road, it's not possible to drive on mine.  ???  But Jimmy says, hey I bought this book on how to drive on a road.  Can I now drive you your road?  :foryou:

You try your best to explain to poor Jimmy again and again that the only way to get across that ten mile stretch of Wilderness is to walk it out, or build your own road.  :sorry:

:butbutbutemoji: walking would be so slow and there are dangerous wild animals in there, plus I don't want to build my own road as it would take years of hard work. 

I just want to get there today and be happy today :screwy:

On 1/31/2024 at 10:23 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

I only use Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on my books. Makes them nice and white, without any of that distracting color, or graphics.

The only magic these types of erasers provide is magically watching the value of your book plummet after stripping off gloss and color. 

You think this bad for Joey and other pro's...Well I have several friends I grew up with that are Medical Dr's. All possess multiple board accreditation and 20+ years experience. Each of them has told me that patients come in after using google or reddit for 5 minutes outright stating they know as much or more than them and then proceed to dictate what the Dr's need to do. 

They told me it's more prevalent in the 40 and under demo...

Edited by MAR1979