• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tricky Copy of ASM 129…please help
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Hello. I would love your opinion on how this book will be graded. More specifically, do you believe that it will get a blue label or a green one? Also would love your opinion on the grade. The thing that makes it quirky is the cover is completely detached. Other than that it’s a pretty solid copy. I can’t thank you enough for taking the time. 

IMG_4480.jpeg

IMG_4481.jpeg

IMG_4483.jpeg

IMG_4484.jpeg

IMG_4485.jpeg

IMG_4486.jpeg

IMG_4487.jpeg

IMG_4488.jpeg

IMG_4489.jpeg

IMG_4490.jpeg

IMG_4491.jpeg

IMG_4492.jpeg

IMG_4493.jpeg

Edited by flying_bison
Clarify

Universal 3.5/4.0. I think lower. A qualified label would only be if the book looked very high grade but had a detached cover. There's plenty going on here, so I don't think that even if the cover was attached it would do much better than a 4.5 

On 1/28/2024 at 10:14 AM, scburdet said:

Universal 3.5/4.0. I think lower. A qualified label would only be if the book looked very high grade but had a detached cover. There's plenty going on here, so I don't think that even if the cover was attached it would do much better than a 4.5 

Super appreciative of your time and feedback. Just would like to ask for some clarification on when you said “I think lower.”  Were you saying that you think that the book would be likely to be graded on the lower end of the 3.5/4.0?  

Moderately blunted corners with small pieces missing at the lower corners, color breaking crease at lower right corner edge wear with some denting and color loss, top edge not trimmed properly, color breaking scratch thru the "D" in "Spider-Man", moderate spine stress with color loss color breaking stress lines and small tears, small spine splits top and bottom, detached cover, minor spine roll, denting/discoloration along top edge of rear cover.

The book without the detached cover is in the VG 4.0 range so you will not get a Green Qualified Label, with the detached cover IMO the book would grade at a...GD 2.0.

VG 4.0 - may be loose but not completely detached.

GD/VG 3.0 - may be loose or even detached at one staple.

GD 2.0 - Cover shows significant wear and may even be detached.

2.0 GOOD (GD):  Back to Top
Shows substantial wear; often considered a "reading copy." Cover shows significant wear and may even be detached. Cover reflectivity is low and in some cases completely absent. Book-length creases and dimples may be present. Rounded corners are more common. Moderate soiling, staining, discoloration and foxing may be present. The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square, although some Silver Age books such as 1960s Marvels have had the price corner box clipped from the top left front cover and may be considered Good if they would otherwise have graded higher. Tape and other forms of amateur repair are common in Silver Age and older books. Spine roll is likely. May have up to a 2" spine split. Staples may be degraded, replaced or missing. Moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Centerfold may be loose or detached. Moderate interior tears may be present.

On 1/28/2024 at 1:20 PM, flying_bison said:

yes. I think 3s is most likely. A press might take out some of the rippling around the edges & give it the best shot to go higher. Sometimes you see a key book like this land a grade higher than you might expect, or a comparable "regular" book might grade, if it presents well. This is all hand waving obviously b/c the grader notes don't walk you through the grading rationale.

On 1/28/2024 at 12:01 PM, flying_bison said:

Hello. I would love your opinion on how this book will be graded. More specifically, do you believe that it will get a blue label or a green one? Also would love your opinion on the grade. The thing that makes it quirky is the cover is completely detached. Other than that it’s a pretty solid copy. I can’t thank you enough for taking the time. 

2.5. There are so many other issues that the detached cover doesn't change the grade much.

Edited by paqart

On 1/28/2024 at 1:55 PM, paqart said:

2.5. There are so many other issues that the detached cover doesn't change the grade much.

2.5 is my guess as well. Nice at first glance, but a good amount of general wear and staining. The staple areas are particularly roughed up with cover stock missing there; I could see somewhere in the 3s if that weren't the case. 

2.0 is (supposedly) the highest a book can get with a completely detached cover, according to Overstreet Guide. But CGC seems to be more generous than Overstreet, esp on key issues and in terms of not setting a ceiling on a grade based on one particular flaw. Maybe people have examples of CGC slabbed books with detached cover that were graded higher than 2.0? Ones in overall similar condition to this book?

Another thread tackles this line of reasoning and includes a quote from a CGC grader that 4.0 would be the max for a detached cover.

On 1/28/2024 at 4:16 PM, bronzemarvel said:

CGC seems to be more generous

The CGC book says a fully detached cover can receive a grade between 2.5-5.0 with other defects impacting the overall grade. Further, it states that 4.0 is the typical highest grade for a fully detached cover. This is how I arrived at my guess since the rest of the book isn't too bad. If this was another book, I would say 2.0/2.5. As an early-ish ASM with 1st Punisher, I think a cleaned up copy *might* get to the 3.5. Maybe not, but the Overstreet 2.0 is below CGC's officially published low point.

On 1/28/2024 at 1:30 PM, scburdet said:

The CGC book says a fully detached cover can receive a grade between 2.5-5.0 with other defects impacting the overall grade. Further, it states that 4.0 is the typical highest grade for a fully detached cover. This is how I arrived at my guess since the rest of the book isn't too bad. If this was another book, I would say 2.0/2.5. As an early-ish ASM with 1st Punisher, I think a cleaned up copy *might* get to the 3.5. Maybe not, but the Overstreet 2.0 is below CGC's officially published low point.

Worth paying the extra for the clean/ press in your opinion?  Thank you again.

If you're going to get it graded, I would have an experienced person try to maximize it's visual appeal. Even if it doesn't boost the grade, looking better in the slab is worth it in this case

On 1/28/2024 at 4:16 PM, bronzemarvel said:

2.0 is (supposedly) the highest a book can get with a completely detached cover, according to Overstreet Guide. But CGC seems to be more generous than Overstreet, esp on key issues and in terms of not setting a ceiling on a grade based on one particular flaw. Maybe people have examples of CGC slabbed books with detached cover that were graded higher than 2.0? Ones in overall similar condition to this book?

Another thread tackles this line of reasoning and includes a quote from a CGC grader that 4.0 would be the max for a detached cover.

I have one graded at 9.0. Of course, it wasn't detached until they slabbed it.