• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - ASM 238 Mark Jewelers
3 3

12 posts in this topic

Already had my question answered by cgc that the missing order form portion of the MJ insert wouldn't affect the grade or give it a qualified, so let's see what everyone thinks of the book itself...only defects I can see are 3 1/8" or so color breaking spine ticks. Will be pressed before submitting for sure. Appreciate the opinions!

20240129_190751.jpg

20240129_190757.jpg

20240129_190645.jpg

20240129_190604.jpg

20240129_190603.jpg

20240129_190600.jpg

20240129_190558.jpg

20240129_190548.jpg

20240129_190546.jpg

20240129_190544.jpg

20240129_190541.jpg

I do not know who told you it wouldn't affect the grade, nor garner a qualified, but I wouldn't trust that accretion.  

The graders are the ones who make that call and this should get one or the other. They either ding the grade for part of it cut out or they don't,  but it gets a qualified grade / label, either way the label should note that it has been cut.

Just my 2c

either way. Good luck. 

On 1/29/2024 at 8:10 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I do not know who told you it wouldn't affect the grade, nor garner a qualified, but I wouldn't trust that accretion.  

The graders are the ones who make that call and this should get one or the other. They either ding the grade for part of it cut out or they don't,  but it gets a qualified grade / label, either way the label should note that it has been cut.

Just my 2c

either way. Good luck. 

That was straight from a cgc grader and also a customer service rep. They said that since you could basically take the insert out and it would still be a fully intact newsstand book, it doesn't affect the grade, and also doesn't get qualified but it may be noted either in graders notes or on the label or both that the order form is missing.

I do think a non-qualified label for part of a mailing insert being removed sounds weird. This is more or less why qualified labels exist. And people tend to be harder on qualified books that are missing ads than they should be IMO. Missing a MVS is one thing, but missing something that's inserted that isn't connected to the story is silly. I don't make the rules & maybe this is an exception.

Going off very limited information, all the available & sold MJs of this issue I can find have a CGC label that says it also contains the Tattooz insert. The label could not reflect reality, but that's what several say. A missing Tattooz is the classic green label for this book. I don't think that should really matter with grading, but if that's the case you could still get a Qualified grade.

I don't see the spine ticks, but this looks like a 9.2/9.4. Sometimes I think this book gets treated with a heavier hand, but maybe not as heavy for a rarer variant. 

On 1/29/2024 at 9:20 PM, scburdet said:

I do think a non-qualified label for part of a mailing insert being removed sounds weird. This is more or less why qualified labels exist. And people tend to be harder on qualified books that are missing ads than they should be IMO. Missing a MVS is one thing, but missing something that's inserted that isn't connected to the story is silly. I don't make the rules & maybe this is an exception.

Going off very limited information, all the available & sold MJs of this issue I can find have a CGC label that says it also contains the Tattooz insert. The label could not reflect reality, but that's what several say. A missing Tattooz is the classic green label for this book. I don't think that should really matter with grading, but if that's the case you could still get a Qualified grade.

I don't see the spine ticks, but this looks like a 9.2/9.4. Sometimes I think this book gets treated with a heavier hand, but maybe not as heavy for a rarer variant. 

Just going off of what cgc told me. Inserts that are supposed to come with every copy would cause qualified or a grade drop, but special inserts that were only in certain copies wouldn't.

9.2/9.4 is about what I was thinking, its harder to see the ticks on this cover due to the color of the cover at the spine. It looks pretty similar to one I sent in last August that got 9.4, might be nicer corners etc but more spine ticks so it kinda evens out.

On 2/2/2024 at 11:21 AM, Lninefingers said:

9.2+, with the caveat that it's kind of hard to assess through a couple layers of plastic.

Not sure what ya mean? It's just on top of the top loader and not inside it.

On 2/2/2024 at 2:42 PM, Sebastsk8 said:

Not sure what ya mean? It's just on top of the top loader and not inside it.

I can see that in the final few pics, but the rest it does look like it could be in the plastic. Pics aren't terribly sharp.