• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Files Lawsuit Against Employees
30 30

672 posts in this topic

On 2/4/2024 at 5:53 AM, Stefan_W said:

Since we are talking about being honest about things, I have read all of the posts in both threads about comic scams and there are two things I would note as being very true.

First, different people will have different perspectives on how the scandal impacts them. We are all situated in our own realities, and for some the sky is falling, for others things go on as usual, and a lot of people are somewhere in between.

Second, despite the first point I mentioned there never seems to be a shortage of people who are condescending enough to take an attitude that basically reduces to: "if you don't believe what I believe, which is obviously the TRUTH and only reality that matters, you are a corporate shill/dishonest with yourself/kidding yourself about where things are heading/not paying enough attention/getting the facts wrong/etc etc etc." 

If pushed to expand a bit, some other things I know to be true are that CGC will continue onwards as the gold standard for comic grading, people will continue to send their comics in to CGC, and although impacts of the scams will be felt the hobby will certainly go on. 

To be clear:  at no point have I personally made any doom-and-gloom, game-over, the-end-is-nigh posts in either of these threads.  I don’t claim to know for a certainty how this will play out, though I suspect it will probably be a minor blip and things will continue as usual…until the next scandal. 

But if my believing that it is in fact a mistake to take a cavalier attitude towards these scandals as at some point…whether it’s now or in the future…this kind of scandal must have some kind of appreciable affect on CGC’s business and the hobby makes me “arrogant”…well, so be it, I guess I’ll just have to own it. 

On 2/3/2024 at 8:53 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

This should be the final post in every CGC "scandal" and "inexplicable performance/QC" thread. None of it matters, because this post by @mikenyc is the absolute truth regarding any CGC situation.

You two absolutely nailed it. I've been posting this link a lot: https://violationtracker.goodjobsfirst.org/parent/blackstone

These are all the fines paid by CGC's new parent company and all of their subsidiaries. Once a company is bought out by Blackstone they tend to commit...crimes? I'm honestly not sure if crime is the legally appropriate word but luckily, I'm not a lawyer and it's definitely a morally appropriate use of the word. Blackstone has been fined for lying to investors, ripping off their own employees and destroying the environment.

Of course these guys were going to bust out CGC in a glorious blaze of fraud...it's kinda the only thing Blackstone can do. They cannot generate products, improve a companies reputation or innovate in any way. Blackstone's job is to pile on overhead in the shape of marketing and nepotistic hires and then cuts costs around the product to make up for the budgetary shortfall. Then when the cost cutting destroys the product they sell the asset at a loss and claim those losses against gains on the profits form the companies that haven't been completely busted yet.

CGC's going the way of Ramsey's Sports.

.image.gif.37e97ea47bf0d91ae76c1e02892f5f75.gif

I don't think this is gonna end well for Matt "Scatino" Nelson.

Edited by Sam T

On 2/3/2024 at 11:25 PM, I like pie said:

I'm forced to roll my eyes backwards seeing you comment on scandals.

People can change.

The question here is, can a business change? Do they have to? Do they want to? Will it even make a difference in their profits if they don't?

Edited by Chip Cataldo

On 2/4/2024 at 10:36 AM, comix4fun said:

You rating yourself as having an excellent reputation has given me a great idea for a new site:

part ratings site, part psychological affirmation…..

I’ll call it “Self Yelp” 

I don't rate myself. I look at my feedback comments on what people say about how I do business.

On 2/4/2024 at 9:39 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

I don't rate myself. I look at my feedback comments on what people say about how I do business.

You just rated yourself here, in place where you don’t have an “excellent reputation” as having an “excellent reputation” 

that’s rating yourself. 
Back patting in this place will have predictable results. 

On 2/4/2024 at 10:43 AM, comix4fun said:

You just rated yourself here, in place where you don’t have an “excellent reputation” as having an “excellent reputation” 

that’s rating yourself. 

Okay, fine. Semantics. I have an excellent reputation "where I do business and not here on this forum."

On 2/4/2024 at 10:06 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

People can change. I have an excellent reputation and am successful doing what I do because I do things the right way and treat people the right way. Did I have to learn that the hard way? Yep. It's made a huge difference in my life, both personally and professionally. I'm happy and no longer stressed about anything.

The question here is, can a business change? Do they have to? Do they want to? Will it even make a difference in their profits if they don't?

On 2/4/2024 at 10:43 AM, comix4fun said:

that’s rating yourself. 

I don't think Chip did what you are attributing to him. I did have to re-read it a couple of times, but I'm very sure he was talking about having an excellent professional reputation. And yes, you do get a great professional reputation by doing things right and treating people the right way. 

Just an FYI if anyone didn't already know, or even cares, lol...I thought they owned it outright, but Blackstone is not the sole owner CCG, just have the largest stake. The original founders still own a large share of the company and play a major part day to day, plus a handful of other investors own a part as well, ROC Nation, Michael Rubin founder of Fanatics, SC.Holdings and Main Street Advisors, the later investors are surly just minor investors, although the inclusion of Fanatics owner is interesting seeing what that company has purchased. The other investors look to be in media and sports, so probably ties in with future graded products maybe with autographs. It's an interesting mix.

On 2/4/2024 at 10:55 AM, comix4fun said:

You mean him saying he’s got an excellent reputation didn’t mean he was saying he has an excellent reputation?  

Shoehorning misplaced self aggrandizement (by a hall of shame member no less) into this discussion doesn’t get a pass because a patronizing cliche about customer service is tacked on the end. 

I think the point is being a jerk doesn't get you far. A good lesson to learn from. 

On 2/4/2024 at 10:55 AM, comix4fun said:

You mean him saying he’s got an excellent reputation didn’t mean he was saying he has an excellent reputation?  

Shoehorning misplaced self aggrandizement (by a hall of shame member no less) into this discussion doesn’t get a pass because a patronizing cliche about customer service is tacked on the end. 

Sorry, I had to re-read this a couple of time to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing. These boards have a hall of shame? 

On 2/4/2024 at 11:03 AM, comix4fun said:

You’re defending the post of a multi decade serial scam artist who’s returned to rehab his name despite being placed on the worst list we have here. 
Does anyone need to learn anything from him other than to avoid him? 
We can learn our actual lessons from almost literally anyone else. Especially the obvious “be good to people” which was, what should have been, an obvious shroud to press his rehabilitation tour. 

That might be advice worth taking too. Along with digging into the context of who is posting. 

That's not who I am now and haven't been for years. Just like people dug like mad to find out all my wrongdoings back then they can dig like hell to find out my rep now...except they don't want to.

People don't give two craps around here when someone is building back up, they only want to keep them down. That's this forum in a nutshell when you've wronged it.

Edited by Chip Cataldo

On 2/4/2024 at 11:03 AM, comix4fun said:

You’re defending the post of a multi decade serial scam artist who’s returned to rehab his name despite being placed on the worst list we have here. 
Does anyone need to learn anything from him other than to avoid him? 
We can learn our actual lessons from almost literally anyone else. Especially the obvious “be good to people” which was, what should have been, an obvious shroud to press his rehabilitation tour. 

That might be advice worth taking too. Along with digging into the context of who is posting. 

That is ad hominem. I don't judge the validity of comments based on who makes them. 

Point taken about context though. It absolutely matters in a lot of ways, although I would argue not exactly in the way you are using it. Although context matters, a person I don't care for can make a good point, and someone I really like can make a bad one. At the end of the day I don't know anyone on these boards so I just call it like I see it based on the words in front of me. The point "try to treat people right" is unassailable to me, but thank you for pointed out why this may be loaded to some people on these boards given the source.