• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Files Lawsuit Against Employees
30 30

667 posts in this topic

Okay, my reading comprehension skills are apparently nonexistent today.  :insane:

They're stealing people's books.  I get that part.  Then what?

Were they duplicating labels, so there could be two books out there with the same certification number, or were they waiting for a book to be graded, then stealing it, putting a lower graded book into that case, and taking the higher graded one?

All of this?  None of this?  I'm probably overcomplicating this in my head...

You show me one person that can demonstrate damages as a result of buying a fake-slabbed book for more than a buck, and I'll show you a bunch of complex litigation attorneys putting together a class action Petition against CGC chock full of claims related to implied warranty and lack of good faith performance causes of action.

CGC is going to get the brakes sued off of them. 

With access to official CGC equipment, labels, etc., who knows how much damage a dishonest employee could actually do?

Back in high school, there was a kid whose mom worked at the state license bureau, and he had a sweet gig creating fake IDs for people.  He'd steal the keys to the place and make "real" fake IDs on the official State equipment.  No idea how he never went to jail for that...

On 2/1/2024 at 3:37 PM, ExNihilo said:

"an issue"?  Like singular?  Have you not been paying attention the last few years?  The way the thread below has blown up in the last few years was enough to put into question CGC's quality.

Then there was acetategate and the complete fumbling of how that was handled.

And of course the most recent one being the issue with the slabs.  I'm sure I'm missing some in between, but the last 3 years has been disastrous as far as degrading trust in the product/brand.  This current incident isn't anything new, it's just the latest in a string of issues.

dont forgot about the "invisible" bad idea comics. 

On 2/1/2024 at 2:36 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I think there are definitely imitators - but not on $100-$200 books. The hassle factor would be pointless even to the dumbest of scammers:

Buy $100 9.2

Replace it with a $80 9.0

Re-sub removed 9.2 for $35+shipping

Sell new 9.2 for $100

Not enough in there to bother with the risk, I don’t think.

Substitute the book with an 8.5 raw you bought for $10, and the equation changes. Since everyone knows no one would do this on $100 books, you could get away with it all day with just a heat gun.  I'm curious about what can happen to the seller who sells a swapped-out book.  Where does the crime occur? Is it in swapping the book?  Is it in owning a book that was swapped? Is it selling a swapped book?

I understand and respect the morality of the situation, and it is certainly unethical, but I don't understand the legality of it.

On 2/1/2024 at 1:46 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

Interesting to see how quick some members give CGC a pass over and over and over again, instead of letting the members know that this was going on months ago.  CGC didnt discover this horrific act on Monday and file the lawsuit on Tuesday bro. :eyeroll:

Ehhh, I feel like companies usually take their time with stuff like this. It only becomes public when someone leaks it, or the company officially decides to make it public. Clearly the Terrazas no longer worked their for a while now and couldn't perpetrate this anymore, so no reason to think their was potential future harm or a reason to make it public at least for that reason. I don't have a problem with knowing until the lawsuit became public.

On 2/1/2024 at 3:48 PM, habsfan1 said:

They both began working in 2022

IMG_7577.jpeg

Anyone have thoughts about how a CGC employee's duties could include receiving and verifying items from eBay?  Does CGC deal on (what in the financial world would be called) a proprietary account?

Edited by Heronext

On 2/1/2024 at 4:52 PM, Heronext said:

Does anyone have thoughts about how a CGC employees duties could be receiving and verifying items from eBay?

Yeah I feel like this is why CGC should do a press release to clarify what was happening - it may not be as widespread an issue if the perpetrators were pulling ebay items and not submissions (shrug)

On 2/1/2024 at 1:52 PM, Heronext said:

Anyone have thoughts about how a CGC employee's duties could include receiving and verifying items from eBay?  Does CGC deal on (what in the financial world would be called) a proprietary account?

Yeah, I was confused by this bit as well.  Why does CGC have a person specifically for handling eBay packages?

On 2/1/2024 at 4:54 PM, ExNihilo said:

Yeah, I was confused by this bit as well.  Why does CGC have a person specifically for handling eBay packages?

My memory is muddy about this, but I recall that years ago CGC hired someone who would, for a price, verify that a CGC book on eBay was legit.

On 2/1/2024 at 1:58 PM, jimjum12 said:

CGC has had tremendous growth in the last few years, and that never happens without some growing pains. I've been hanging around here for 20 years because I like the people and their care for the hobby. I've watched a lot of them start out lurking and end up as key people at the company. It hurts to see them catch a black eye like this. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Thanks Jimbo, a few people laughed at me for saying that lol, but I meant it.

On 2/1/2024 at 5:00 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 2/1/2024 at 4:54 PM, ExNihilo said:

My memory is muddy about this, but I recall that years ago CGC hired someone who would, for a price, verify that a CGC book on eBay was legit.

My memory is muddy! 

1.jpg.85666c11c34122dfec66d27c85275486.jpg