• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Files Lawsuit Against Employees
30 30

673 posts in this topic

On 2/1/2024 at 1:46 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

Interesting to see how quick some members give CGC a pass over and over and over again, instead of letting the members know that this was going on months ago.  CGC didnt discover this horrific act on Monday and file the lawsuit on Tuesday bro. :eyeroll:

nice to meet you, bro

On 2/1/2024 at 3:17 PM, blazingbob said:

For me I've had issue with "Consultants" who come in and grade and also sell books.    

Whoo boy.  People haven't talked about that one in awhile.  For those who don't know.  The ban on employees selling books they have graded is just that, a ban on employees doing it (and maybe, IIRC, just a ban on doing it in a commercial endeavor, not limited selling of your collection).  It does not affect the limited time (but often very frequent - i.e., multiple times during a year or multi year period) "consultants" they hired during busy times or for whatever reason, i.e., Mark Haspel https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3974/consultants/.  There were more than just the two I linked.  Those consultants (not saying anyone in particular) would be grading for CGC but going around cons buying up raw books and then subbing them and selling during the time they were "consulting."  

Edited by Transplant

On 2/1/2024 at 5:26 PM, Pontoon said:

I'm not surprised some lowlifes were trying to game the system, there's always going to be people like that. I am genuinely amazed that CGC hired these clowns and apparently has zero employee oversight.

Hiring as cheap as possible pads the bonus of many an Exec.   As with most things you get what you pay for...

On 2/1/2024 at 4:44 PM, Iconic1s said:

Could have sworn some higher up at CGC went on some Youtube channel and said there was no CGC employee involved in swapping books :facepalm:

I guess you have to be more specific with your line of questioning when asking about  tampered books these days, and specify WHICH books exactly zzz

I understand the need to keep this information close hold until court filing, but the timing of that interview and statements made therein is a horrible look in hindsight.

Obviously employees were involved in AT LEAST this issue, and with the lack of oversight and QC issues there is no telling how bad the problem was/is!

So so so disappointed right now!

I believe he was careful enough to say "no current employees", but ya when I first read your post lol

I got the Friday gifs out the wazoo in my brain. But let's face it, this isn't funny

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 2/1/2024 at 4:44 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

To date, Mr. Terrazas has admitted to stealing twenty-three customer-submitted comic books from CGC’s facilities. Id. ¶ 12. As part of his scheme, Mr. Terrazas would take these customer-submitted comic books from a shelf at CGC’s facilities, place them on his desk, and discard the books’ CGC-graded wrapping and barcodes. Id. Mr. Terrazas would then submit for grading each of the stolen comic books and then publicly advertise, consign, or sell the comic books on eBay or at trade shows. Id. In total, Mr. Terrazas received at least $26,895 in aggregate revenue from these fraudulent transactions

Ok so now I feel like there are definitely easy security misses here.  Amazon can find your package on a shelf in some random warehouse at any given point in its journey using cameras and ai.  If there was any tracking of what book is where and surveillance of storage area this guy would have gotten busted way before 27 books went missing that HE removed from storage.  Or am I missing something?

On 2/1/2024 at 5:57 PM, Corvonie said:

Ok so now I feel like there are definitely easy security misses here.  Amazon can find your package on a shelf in some random warehouse at any given point in its journey using cameras and ai.  If there was any tracking of what book is where and surveillance of storage area this guy would have gotten busted way before 27 books went missing that HE removed from storage.  Or am I missing something?

Not missing anything.

Serious chain of custody issues.

-bc

On 2/1/2024 at 5:56 PM, Stefan_W said:

Maybe do some research before making a post like this. A total of 90 seconds with google led to me to find the actual case. If you look at the person who posted it all on Twitter he neglects to share when this case was brought forward - but FYI it was filed Jan 31 2024. That is yesterday. 

Based on your post I am not sure if you would know this, but those launching court proceedings do not typically make statements months before those proceedings are set in motion. After the proceedings are in the books, if I was running a corporate entity like CGC I would try to contact those impacted by these thefts next. A statement to curious customers would happen but it would not be at the very front end of this process. But that is just me. 

Oh, if anyone is interested in reading without it being filtered through someone else's lens here is the link:

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/florida/flmdce/8:2024cv00301/423637  

On 2/1/2024 at 5:58 PM, bc said:

Not missing anything.

Serious chain of custody issues.

-bc

So, I’m not a “tech solves everything” person - despite, or because of - it being my field of expertise.  But it seems obvious CGC needs to value what it can do for them much more highly.  One visit to the website will tell you that, let alone going through the submission process.

These boards are an absolute treasure but I literally got a brand new phone last week and it still take a minute for a page to load.  The software is insanely out of date.

I wonder if it’s a case of lack of understanding of options available or thinking they can’t do it, or what.  I don’t automatically assign malice to it, but man they need help.

On 2/1/2024 at 6:20 PM, Corvonie said:

So, I’m not a “tech solves everything” person - despite, or because of - it being my field of expertise.  But it seems obvious CGC needs to value what it can do for them much more highly.  One visit to the website will tell you that, let alone going through the submission process.

These boards are an absolute treasure but I literally got a brand new phone last week and it still take a minute for a page to load.  The software is insanely out of date.

I wonder if it’s a case of lack of understanding of options available or thinking they can’t do it, or what.  I don’t automatically assign malice to it, but man they need help.

As far as the board loading slowly - noticed that the Facebook add at the bottom of the page template is often the cause of the delay. 

-bc

On 2/1/2024 at 2:33 PM, lostboys said:

Makes me wonder even more about those 2 beautiful ASM 300s that came back to me BOTH with 5.5 grades a few years back.

The defendant started working there in 2022

On 2/1/2024 at 4:44 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

To date, Mr. Terrazas has admitted to stealing twenty-three customer-submitted comic books from CGC’s facilities. Id. ¶ 12. As part of his scheme, Mr. Terrazas would take these customer-submitted comic books from a shelf at CGC’s facilities, place them on his desk, and discard the books’ CGC-graded wrapping and barcodes. Id. Mr. Terrazas would then submit for grading each of the stolen comic books and then publicly advertise, consign, or sell the comic books on eBay or at trade shows. Id. In total, Mr. Terrazas received at least $26,895 in aggregate revenue from these fraudulent transactions

Well there's your problem....

Also, wtf is suing these people supposed to accomplish?  Are they not being criminally prosecuted?  

Does CGC think this move "protects" their good name?  'Cause I don't think it does....

On 2/1/2024 at 6:25 PM, Axelrod said:

Well there's your problem....

Right we’re all just picturing a bunch of books on the shelf in the break room where they put the unclaimed food for one day before they throw it out, now.