• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 CGC Grading Contest Season 3 Winter Edition (#9) Round 4
9 9

156 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2024 at 9:22 PM, JohnH19 said:

Congrats on your perfect round!

Thanks -  must be a Winnipeg thing !  

On 2/10/2024 at 2:56 AM, JollyComics said:

@Point Five

11 points?  3.67 points per round?   I am only 6 points behind you and don't think I will make to top 3 in the final round.

I know you are always good at grading many low grade GA books.  CGC has used GA books heavily that I am not very fond of.

Wished you a good luck on the final round.

On 2/10/2024 at 9:01 AM, AJD said:

Being 4 points behind him, I can only wish him a disaster... lol

On 2/11/2024 at 3:26 PM, Point Five said:

We now take you live to my Round 4 grades:

water-spill.gif.3a2a08928ddce97297c1f1fb4faa9c68.gif

I feel partly responsible for this. :sorry:

I spotted the final round mid-grade gold contrivance straight away - the organiser's apparent 'up yours' response to those of us who have fed back that there have been too many mid-grade golds over the last two contests (16 golds this time, 14 grading between 4.0 and 6.0). I submitted all 4.5s as I couldn't see some of them going higher even with the bump. Five points that could so easily have been five bulls.

The R3 moderate finger bend description mistakes cost me dear, so I finish this contest on 25 points and will likely now fall out of the top ten for all contests. Had I gone with all 5.0s this round, I just might have managed to stay in. Ah well. All good fun.

Edited by Get Marwood & I

Very tricky CGC! I had 4.5 for every book in my first impression pass through but then thought, “surely they wouldn’t give us 5 books all the same grade!” so went back and adjusted a few up & down to my detriment.

I should’ve known that knowing what they’d think I’d know would be exactly what they wanted me to think I knew. Ya know?

My worst round by 1 point...ugh. :tonofbricks: Four rounds 7/4/7/8 = 26 double ugh.  I guess I don't know how to grade the old GAs...had 5.0 in the toggle for the first 4 books but started at 6.0 on the OBIE and went with 6.5 for the GA bump...the GA bump always seems to enter my mind as I think many GAs I see are overgraded by .5 to a full point for seemingly that reason.  Did manage a bullseye on the PEP.

THX for the diversion/fun Mike/CGC.  CONGRATS to the WINNERS and TOP SCORERS!! :headbang:

As far back as these contests have been run (from memory, they started with Nik circa 2007 or so? whew) there have been occasional rounds where the grades were the same. To me, it's 'interesting' and 'playful' more than anything malicious. I do understand the context being described and how five books with the same grade might land a bit harder than two or three, but just IMO I don't see it as a big issue.  (shrug)

I would like definitions, or examples, to figure out differences between small, moderate and major defects. Obviously if the whole book was stained by a beverage being spilled on it that's a major defect. But when does a small defect become moderate? At what point does moderate become major?

On 2/10/2024 at 8:49 PM, JollyComics said:

My score has been monotonous.

Round 1 - 5 pts 1 bullseye

Round 2 - 5 pts 1 bullseye

Round 3 - 6 pts no bullseye

Round 4 - 6 pts 1 bullseye

At least 2 points on one book each round but I think those grades are criminally overgraded.  

Had exactly the same results except my no bullseye round was in the first. Funny though I had the thought that all the books looked the same grade in the last round but I thought they all looked in the  4-4.5 range. Luckily I pressed the send button by mistake or could have been even worse. lol:facepalm:

On 2/11/2024 at 9:37 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

I would like definitions, or examples, to figure out differences between small, moderate and major defects. Obviously if the whole book was stained by a beverage being spilled on it that's a major defect. But when does a small defect become moderate? At what point does moderate become major?

All good questions, but I'm doubtful we'll ever get satisfactory answers. I'm sure the answers would vary even from grader to grader... plus on some books the notes are thorough and on others they're just kind of random. I think these terms are as vague and imprecise as the three grades "Good, Fine, Mint" were decades ago.

On 2/11/2024 at 11:55 AM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

I wish there would have been a "Cash-out" option after round 3. I would have been satisfied with a "I'm only 4 points behind Jon" T-shirt and $1.50 grading credit at that point knowing I was heading into a 7-10 point round on round 4 lol

I like it! I might have cashed out too. I think for $1.50 CGC can give you a “YES, THIS IS A COMIC BOOK“ prescreen.

Fun, but a tough contest. Thanks to Mike and CGC for doing this.

I always assume grades are not duplicated in any round. It may have happened once or twice over the years, but generally it doesn't happen. In this contest there were so many times I wanted to give the same grade to more than one book, so I had to force rank them. Overall, this contest was overwhelmingly in the 4.0 - 6.0 range, which was a departure from the past. I think it's actually easier grading a batch of books when the grades vary more... less second guessing for me.