• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When You See a Piece For Sale From Someone You Won't Buy From...
1 1

61 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2024 at 5:22 PM, zhamlau said:

They're talking about Bechara Maalouf at Nostalgic Investments, I don't have any major issues in dealing with him beyond like one or two quibbles. Ill probably buy something off him in Summer at NJ.

I would, too, although his pricing isn’t too flexible.

On 2/27/2024 at 5:22 PM, zhamlau said:

They're talking about Bechara Maalouf at Nostalgic Investments, I don't have any major issues in dealing with him beyond like one or two quibbles. Ill probably buy something off him in Summer at NJ.

I had my "quibbles" with him as well in the past. Definitely off putting, but not enough where I would never buy from him. I've also had my disagreements with the San Mateo brothers, but I've never shut that door either. Like Cain and Able, one brother is better than the other one.

On 2/27/2024 at 12:10 PM, MIL0S said:

I know why people avoid the brothers but what's the beef with the guy from Boston?

I've bought from Bechara twice over the years. Even though my last interaction left a sour taste in my mouth I may buy again depending on what it is. Not to get into it, but I was offered a piece and the price kept changing with the end result being 2x from what I was originally told.

I've walked away from things I really wanted many times due to dealer personality or the feeling I was being jerked around.  Even when it takes too long to close a deal, my interest wanes and I move on and forget about it.  I don't like to buy things that make me think of that person. It's always better to have a good interaction, everyone's happy, and you have good memories of buying it.

On 2/16/2024 at 8:51 AM, Dr. Balls said:

button_.gif.c523d09a7cfd06d341d88f8fcdd6025f.gif

No one will ever know! You know you want it! It adds to your "collection"!

Still can't do it. Time to move on...

Unfortunately in this business that list can be too long. I saw a few pieces I wanted for years by a dealer I have heard nothing but horror stories about on these boards. Recently I saw it with another dealer (that I would buy from) so there must have been a trade/inventory swap. Hopefully that happens in this situation at some point. 

On 2/27/2024 at 9:52 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Unfortunately in this business that list can be too long.

Very true. I'm pretty easy-going and don't get too butt-hurt about things so I don't imagine it's going to happen to me a lot. Plus, I don't go to shows, etc and have personal interactions with a lot of people, so I'm far outside the circle of knowledge that a lot of collectors have.

On 2/21/2024 at 5:50 PM, batman_fan said:

If we are being honest, most people (not all) will talk endlessly about how they wouldn’t deal with someone because of their past history but when the rubber hits the road they would buy from Hitler if the price was only 2x market value and comment on how much they liked his mustache when they bought the piece from him.  When someone says “hey didn’t Hitler have that for sell?” they will quickly reply “really?  They guy I bought it from must have bought it from him, wish I had known”

I'm waiting to see who will be the first person in our hobby to get a piece restored by Robert Wayne Dennis since January 6, 2021

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 2/29/2024 at 7:17 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I'm waiting to see who will be the first person in our hobby to get a piece restored by Robert Wayne Dennis since January 6, 2021

His prices will likely be good, no?

Given the general tone here I think most don't have a problem at all with RWD.

On 2/29/2024 at 12:59 PM, cstojano said:

He will pay the price by serving time. That’s enough for me. Everyone is entitled to be rehabilitated. It’s not like he’s a swindler who is a potential repeater. 

On 2/29/2024 at 12:59 PM, cstojano said:

He was great to work with...very very timely, very professional and delivered everything we agreed upon.  Didn't try to increase the price, even though he decided to do extra work on the piece.

Shipping was very reasonable and the packaging was bullet-proof.

Will gladly do business again.