• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko Spiderman Pin-up on Comiclink
3 3

113 posts in this topic

Ditko was just foreshadowing the bow legged style that is very common in Marvel Comics (particularly Gil Kane, John Buscema).

The piece currently on ComicLink is far superior to any examples posted in this topic so far.

What I never got is that with all the variant covers that get published these days, why hasn’t someone thought to use one of these classic era unpublished pieces as a variant cover? You don’t think Marvel would love to have an original previously unpublished Ditko cover variant on some key book/product?

On 2/20/2024 at 9:52 AM, zhamlau said:

What I never got is that with all the variant covers that get published these days, why hasn’t someone thought to use one of these classic era unpublished pieces as a variant cover? You don’t think Marvel would love to have an original previously unpublished Ditko cover variant on some key book/product?

I'm guessing that it may be a mess or hassle to pay the artist to do that.

Malvin

On 2/20/2024 at 4:10 PM, malvin said:

I'm guessing that it may be a mess or hassle to pay the artist to do that.

Malvin

See i would have thought that issue settled since they paid originally to have the artwork drawn using their IP, especially now that they settled with the Ditko estate as many have reported. Think about how many guys would have to buy this comic just to say their Ditko Spider-man cover collection was complete! LOL could probably sell 5k to them alone!

On 2/20/2024 at 6:52 PM, zhamlau said:

They already thought of that :

image.jpeg.7efe54e7daa18317a6c312e206bf05fc.jpeg

(Amazing Spider-Man #700 - January 2013)

Edited by Ecclectica

On 2/20/2024 at 10:15 PM, zhamlau said:

Think about how many guys would have to buy this comic just to say their Ditko Spider-man cover collection was complete! LOL could probably sell 5k to them alone!

Well, this variant is not cheap to acquire nowadays :

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=Amazing+Spider-Man+%23700+ditko+variant&_sacat=0&rt=nc&_odkw=Amazing+Spider-Man+%23700+ditko&_osacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

Edited by Ecclectica

On 2/21/2024 at 11:50 AM, Ecclectica said:

They already thought of that :

image.jpeg.7efe54e7daa18317a6c312e206bf05fc.jpeg

(Amazing Spider-Man #700 - January 2013)

See this was already published before though. I’m talking about finished but never published material like the OP showed. I’d love to see them do that .

On 2/22/2024 at 12:36 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yeah, and it was already published way before ASM #700, as the back cover to the Official Marvel Index to The Amazing Spiderman #1 (1985)

Great! I didn't know it. Guess I have to buy now another (affordable, this one!) old comic. :smile:

Edited by Ecclectica

Also, they inked the image a little more,  manipulated the left arm and tilted the image, and then used it for a marvel poster. I’m pretty sure I remember seeing it on a marvel toy from the 70s, too. Spider-Man shield or something like that?

😏EDIT to add that this was already mentioned upthread. I do think I saw it on another toy, though. 

IMG_3726.thumb.jpeg.d29871334d5cdcf36e93dd5c85afde3f.jpeg

Edited by Latverian Tourism Board

On 2/17/2024 at 11:25 AM, Carlo M said:

Surprised this has not been brought up yet . This one must be truly impressive in person. Too early to provide estimates? 

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2024may%26itemtype%3D1%23Item_1752106&id=1752106&itemType=1#detail

Talk about needing this so bad !!!! But what I'd have to sell to get it would be VERY painful....

On 2/23/2024 at 3:08 PM, The Voord said:

For those struggling to compare . . . looks like they re-jigged Spidey's limbs, otherwise quite close.

Personally, I'd class the Spidey pin-up as published (in altered format).

RAD04C5F2024212_125842.jpg

yeah but not of the "era", which unfortunately from a collector / investment standpoint could make a massive difference...

On 2/24/2024 at 1:23 AM, 1classics said:

yeah but not of the "era", which unfortunately from a collector / investment standpoint could make a massive difference...

Yeah, and if I was deep-pocketed, I'd be all over this . . . and I'm definitely in a Ditko Spidey collecting area!  Investor?  No, I just love this . . . future financial return just wouldn't figure . . . so, go figure!.

Edited by The Voord