• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When you are off by just a little zero.
1 1

15 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2024 at 9:49 PM, AJD said:

I have a high grade ASM 316 and had no idea what current FMV was until I looked it up after reading your post. Luckily that dude didn't offer me $20 on the weekend!

You're welcome.

On 2/20/2024 at 3:54 AM, shadroch said:

I had a new client over to buy some books. We'd talked a few times on the phone and I thought I put together a nice package for him.  I had one for $2500, a bigger one for $5,000, and a nicer one for $10,000.

He finishes the $5,000 package, and when I tell him I want five, he immediately agrees but it takes a moment to realize he is talking $500.  It is obvious we aren't going to get a big deal done, so we start negotiating book by book. It's not a total waste as he ends up spending some $1200.  Then he offers me $400 for 11 short boxes of dollar books that are packed tight.  I toss in a few more books and we round it out to $2,000.

Realizing he has now spent 40% of what I wanted him to, and has only bought less than a quarter of the books, I implore him to consider spending the extra money.  He refuses and leaves fairly happy.

I'm ecstatic. While I'd have liked him to spend more, I got rid of mostly low-end fruit and only lost two books I cared about. 

Over the weekend, I had a guy come by to look at some Spidermans.  He told me my prices were way too high. When I told him I was flexible, he offered me $20 for a HG Spidey 316. He left empty-handed and I don't think he'll be back anytime soon.

Men! Did you own so much books?! I WANT TO BUY!!!:Rocket:

However i specify to you that im not going to pay for a book described as 48 page when there is only 38 in! 

:roflmao:

Edited by BA773

On 2/20/2024 at 12:39 PM, BA773 said:

Men! Did you own so much books?! I WANT TO BUY!!!:Rocket:

However i specify to you that im not going to pay for a book described as 48 page when there is only 38 in! 

:roflmao:

If you have the US address you are looking for, I have 1,000 or more DCs at ridiculously low prices.

I have them. You want them.  Lets meet in the middle.

Edited by shadroch

When I first got into collecting years ago and didn't really understand the market, I saw a high grade Detective Comics at a convention (I dont remember the issue, but I know it was below #50). I asked the price and was told "80". I only had $100 with me and didn't want to spend $80 on one book...

No no, he meant $80,000. :tonofbricks:

Not my brightest moment. 

On 2/20/2024 at 8:52 PM, shadroch said:

If you have the US address you are looking for, I have 1,000 or more DCs at ridiculously low prices.

I have them. You want them.  Lets meet in the middle.

Seriously? lol did you have an excel or something with a list?

It's all in my head. 

I'm interviewing right now for someone to do part-time comic sales on the internet.  I'm too lazy to do it myself and I'm not sure there is enough money to pay someone, so we'll see. The ideal candidate will work for comics, or a mix of food and comics. 

On 2/20/2024 at 12:33 PM, The Commissioner said:

When I first got into collecting years ago and didn't really understand the market, I saw a high grade Detective Comics at a convention (I dont remember the issue, but I know it was below #50). I asked the price and was told "80". I only had $100 with me and didn't want to spend $80 on one book...

No no, he meant $80,000. :tonofbricks:

Not my brightest moment. 

DC27  (thumbsu

My first convention, I saw a beautiful GA book with a Mac Raboy cover.  I asked how much and thought he said $15.  I only had $12 and offered it.  The guy gave me the hairy eye and told me to F off.  I don't get why he was so upset.  I looked around the show and found another copy in better shape, but the dealer is asking $80 for it.  I figure the other for $15 is a bargain, but the dealer scares me.

I go back, and the guy doesn't seem to remember me.  I asked to see the book, and he told me it was $50, but he'd let it go for $40. I have to pass.  It would be another twenty-five years before I started buying  GA books.