• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CGC Sequential Order Matter to Collectors?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Are book sets worth more if they're graded in sequential order and part of the same CGC batch? It seems like that would be a good way of classifying a group of books as a set. For example, say someone had the first Wolverine mini-series signed and graded in sequential order with custom labels. Would that make the series more valuable than a set of books from different batches? 

Seems kind of like a silly question, but I'm curious to see what people say. I know someone people won't care, but if it's a "thing", then I might do it with one or two of my sets. 

In my experience, no. I've tried to sell three sets of books with sequential ordering and that is about as interesting to buyers as telling them each sale comes with a free hug.

I remember a while back I picked up several slabs, I think via CLink, and I noticed some time afterwards that they were all in sequence. I thought "heh, whaddya know?" And then went back to not thinking about it. To be sure, there has to be some guy out there, somewhere, who very much intensely cares! But I don't think there are many, no. 

On 2/22/2024 at 8:44 AM, Dr. Balls said:

In my experience, no. I've tried to sell three sets of books with sequential ordering and that is about as interesting to buyers as telling them each sale comes with a free hug.

If the hug comes from your avatar, I don't think I even need the books.

On 2/23/2024 at 9:13 AM, MattTheDuck said:

If the hug comes from your avatar, I don't think I even need the books.

I could probably sell X-Force #1s for $500 all day long if they came with hugs from that girl.

On 2/23/2024 at 11:00 AM, shadroch said:

What happens when four come back 9.8 and one of the middle ones comes back 9.6?  The entire synergy is destroyed.

That's when you have to find a replacement copy of the middle book that's a sure thing 9.8, and then resubmit all four and hope that one of the other books doesn't get graded a 9.6 on the second attempt. If it does, then you keep repeating the process until you get four books in 9.8s, with sequentially number certs.

After that you try doing it for a longer series; the 1985 Strawberry Shortcake set of 6 books is the logical next target.

On 2/20/2024 at 8:24 PM, Kerdese said:

Are book sets worth more if they're graded in sequential order and part of the same CGC batch?

NO, but definitely still worth more than if they all came from a certain comic book shop in Brooklyn encased with the exact same CGC 9.8 graded serial number.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/22/2024 at 6:31 PM, Kerdese said:

Thanks for the feedback. That seems like a definite no. 

I think it’s pretty cool.  I submitted IM 118-133 to Layton for the SS label, and they came back sequentially numbered.  Not sure anyone else thought much of it though.

I think I’d pay more for wolvy 1-4 if they were sequentially numbered and in the same grade.