• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X-Men 101
2 2

11 posts in this topic

As is, the book is stuck at a 5.0-5.5. If you find the right pro to do a really good C&P, the book could jump in grade. There are some pros who might be able to remove the water marks or at least make them less noticeable. Good luck and thanks for posting.

On 3/5/2024 at 2:59 PM, Nilo2 said:

As is, the book is stuck at a 5.0-5.5. If you find the right pro to do a really good C&P, the book could jump in grade. There are some pros who might be able to remove the water marks or at least make them less noticeable. Good luck and thanks for posting.

That is the plan. My presser seems to think there is plenty on the book he can take care of. Hoping for a 6.0 or better but we will see. I’ll update this thread when the book finally gets sent to CGC 

On 3/8/2024 at 5:32 PM, NY Roadkill said:

I am not really experienced at this - but based on what I've read on this thread, and then seen when the grade comes back, with a good clean and press I would not be surprised if this grades out at a 7.0.

I totally agree with you. It’s all going to be up to CGC and how well my presser can work his magic! 

On 3/9/2024 at 1:25 PM, Bmattioli86 said:

I totally agree with you. It’s all going to be up to CGC and how well my presser can work his magic! 

I’ve seen some pretty intensive light and whitening/stain removal treatments that have come back blue.  That stuff isn’t only in YouTube videos.

And I can say from personal experience that Bronze Age is definitely the sweet spot for improbability.  The fact that the paper isn’t glossy yet but the cover stock is so solid - or something more science-y - but the amount of work you can do on this era of book without worrying about damaging it is unmatched in my experience.

That said, water stains can be tricky because of them migrating instead of jut staying put or going away (sometimes called “tide lines”)

I think a lot of this comes down to taste and knowing when to stop.  Good luck to you and good luck to your presser! 

Please share raw pics after pressing it you can remember to!

On 3/26/2024 at 9:59 PM, Corvonie said:

Please share raw pics after pressing it you can remember to!

Thank you. I will update this thread as the process moves along. I’m in the midst of sending my books to my presser (just waiting on one) and should have them back by early summer.

he is pretty talented and well known. He does Mike from lunch money comics on YouTube’s books.