• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disappointed by the Comic Grading: Seeking Answers
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Greetings, Forum Community!

I recently acquired a copy of The Batgirl Adventures #12, known for being Harley Quinn's first appearance. However, upon receiving the grading, I was surprised by the low score assigned (6.5) compared to other comics with the same grading.

I've attached photos of my comic and another with the same grading but in conditions I consider inferior. My copy is in excellent condition, and after consulting with an expert, they believe it should have received an 8.5 instead of the awarded 6.5.

My Comic photo:

WhatsAppImage2024-03-06at18_18_10.thumb.jpeg.acb988a75ac4108f7a6ba8a4881c5bf3.jpeg

WhatsAppImage2024-03-06at18_18_11.thumb.jpeg.b1068f5e67406b8b84ead5c19515c98e.jpeg

Other Comic photos whit 6.5,  Zoom In to Uncover the Differences in Comic Conditions

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.7327cf9f8bcc414e96183e412cd09431.jpg]

s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.7fbce1c16ab21ee3b96048bac47bb719.jpg

s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.bb7cdb2ecc29800b004c5c2a17b02c69.jpg

Questions for the community:

1. Has anyone experienced similar situations?
  2. What could be the grading company's criteria that affected the rating?
  3. Any advice on how to address this situation and secure a fair review?

I appreciate any comments, experiences, or advice you can share. Thank you in advance!

Edited by AleLuque

8.5 might be a stretch. You have a lot of spine ticks plus a corner crunch. I would put in the 7.0-7.5 zone, but sometimes you get a harsh grader. As for having similar experience, yup. This is easily in the 9's and they graded it 7,5 Unfortunately it's not worth the time/money to resubmit.CGC4392091-007_OBV.jpgCGC4392091-007_REV.jpg

I agree, that seems harsh.  Especially given CGC notes no flaws in the grader's notes that would indicate this book should be a 6.5.  However, they do note multiple pressable defects (attached).  My recommendation is to have this comic book case cracked, have the book cleaned and pressed by an experienced person, and have it resubmitted.

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 6.28.47 AM.png

Are all of you guys looking at the OP's book? Those photos are so small I can't see anything. The second book he posted for comparison has plenty of spine and other wear. The OP is saying his book (first) looks nothing like the second book but received the same grade. Of course, it probably doesn't matter since he's another ghost poster.

@shadroch@Kevin76@Mr. Zipper

On 3/22/2024 at 2:22 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

I believe the 6.5 is accurate. The spine edge is very rough for a modern. Especially around the top staple.  There also appears to be a spattering of multiple stains and/or foxing on the bottom third of back cover

On 3/6/2024 at 5:07 PM, AleLuque said:

Greetings, Forum Community!

I recently acquired a copy of The Batgirl Adventures #12, known for being Harley Quinn's first appearance. However, upon receiving the grading, I was surprised by the low score assigned (6.5) compared to other comics with the same grading.

I've attached photos of my comic and another with the same grading but in conditions I consider inferior. My copy is in excellent condition, and after consulting with an expert, they believe it should have received an 8.5 instead of the awarded 6.5.

My Comic photo:

Other Comic photos whit 6.5,  Zoom In to Uncover the Differences in Comic Conditions

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.7327cf9f8bcc414e96183e412cd09431.jpg]

s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.7fbce1c16ab21ee3b96048bac47bb719.jpg

ustions for the community:

1. Has anyone experienced similar situations?
  2. What could be the grading company's criteria that affected the rating?
  3. Any advice on how to address this situation and secure a fair review?

I appreciate any comments, experiences, or advice you can share. Thank you in advance!

Hello and welcome to the boards.

Your images are way too small to grade accurately.

Edited by thehumantorch

On 4/5/2024 at 7:43 PM, thehumantorch said:

Hello and welcome to the boards.

Your images are way too small to grade accurately.

Just type the certification number into Verify CGC Certification.  You can see and enlarge the images.  Those defects are easy to spot.

On 4/5/2024 at 8:16 PM, dick pontoon said:

Are all of you guys looking at the OP's book? Those photos are so small I can't see anything. The second book he posted for comparison has plenty of spine and other wear. The OP is saying his book (first) looks nothing like the second book but received the same grade. Of course, it probably doesn't matter since he's another ghost poster.

@shadroch@Kevin76@Mr. Zipper

I'm using a desktop, the pics are bigger  

On 4/7/2024 at 9:30 PM, Withering Wind said:

It looks like there are several color breaking finger bends on the back cover which are likely what pulled the grade down.  

Yes....Proof again that grading notes matter far less than people want them to matter.  The color breaking finger bends are easily the defect most affecting the final grade - and they are not even mentioned. 
Even with the finger bends 6.5 seems a bit harsh. But just a bit. An 8'ish range grade seems out of the question.