• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Alex Ross ever achieve Kirby status?
4 4

71 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2024 at 5:49 PM, Readcomix said:

They can vary, as I understand it. Here’s a couple:

IMG_1297.jpeg

IMG_1298.jpeg

Down here we'd have that as the Trash Can Taco:

Bacon, Scrambled Eggs, Cheese, Refried Beans, Fried Potatoes, and Carne Guisada on a flour tortilla.

image.thumb.png.b0c6b785e76455b8d96085381baff0aa.png

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

On 3/14/2024 at 10:15 AM, KingOfRulers said:

I think Alex Ross is incredibly talented. I absolutely love some of his work. However, there's also some of his work I don't care for. Often times, his work is so static and too heavily reliant on references. His group shots are generally the perfect example of this.

alexrossvillaincard.jpeg.6df55d1c2d37a6575cf1d15dc2bce240.jpeg

However, there's plenty of Alex Ross work that is AMAZING. His Fantastic Four: Full Circle shows his talent. It's dynamic and full of energy. As a painter, he is masterful in the art of color selection.

d7b1f76b-f0a1-4056-87c6-6319923a6765.thumb.jpeg.68ff23cf33c34136ee4876036319100b.jpeg

For me, it's a similar story with Kirby. His 1960's Marvel work is amazing. I love it. I don't care for his 1970's work though.

Artists tend to change throughout their career whether it was a conscious choice or not.

I love Kirby's 70 stuff, but I get what you're saying. As for Ross, I agree 100% on the static and photo-reference. If he would let himself off of his own leash, I bet he'd could do some really cool stuff. I remember a quote or interview, probably from the 90's, where I believe it was MIke Allred who said that Alex Ross was a great artist, but he wished he would put the reference photos away because then he'd really be something. Or words to that effect. I may have dreamt that entire scenario, but I stand by the sentiment!

On 3/14/2024 at 7:15 AM, KingOfRulers said:

I think Alex Ross is incredibly talented. I absolutely love some of his work. However, there's also some of his work I don't care for. Often times, his work is so static and too heavily reliant on references. His group shots are generally the perfect example of this.

alexrossvillaincard.jpeg.6df55d1c2d37a6575cf1d15dc2bce240.jpeg

However, there's plenty of Alex Ross work that is AMAZING. His Fantastic Four: Full Circle shows his talent. It's dynamic and full of energy. As a painter, he is masterful in the art of color selection.

d7b1f76b-f0a1-4056-87c6-6319923a6765.thumb.jpeg.68ff23cf33c34136ee4876036319100b.jpeg

For me, it's a similar story with Kirby. His 1960's Marvel work is amazing. I love it. I don't care for his 1970's work though.

Artists tend to change throughout their career whether it was a conscious choice or not.

It looks like he mailed the top one in.  I don't feel any passion.  I'd never seen that FF piece, but it is mesmerizing. I'll be looking for a print.

On 3/14/2024 at 11:56 AM, shadroch said:

I'd never seen that FF piece, but it is mesmerizing. I'll be looking for a print.

RIght? That might be one of the best Alex Ross' pieces I've ever seen. His color handling on that piece is out of this world.

Reminds me of the old FF Error Cover:

FFerror.jpg

On 3/14/2024 at 1:56 PM, shadroch said:

It looks like he mailed the top one in.  I don't feel any passion.  I'd never seen that FF piece, but it is mesmerizing. I'll be looking for a print.

The FF page is from this graphic novel.

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/jun221156/fantastic-four-full-circle-gn

On 3/14/2024 at 3:48 PM, shadroch said:

A quick search didn't reveal any prints or lithos.

I'm not surprised as it is from the interior of the graphic novel. It's probably pretty unusual to find official prints released of interior comic art.

Why not get the graphic novel? I haven't purchased it yet, so I can't give an opinion on the book as a whole. But I want to read it. It's on my radar. Ross' art in general on the book looks wonderful. I want to purchase the book in the near future.

Full_Circle_Excerpt_1_1_Polygon_Page_5.thumb.jpeg.e4ad305e895e6c8ded55aa4529064cf3.jpeg

On 3/14/2024 at 3:48 PM, shadroch said:

A quick search didn't reveal any prints or lithos.

I posted the link to the graphic novel. Nobody ever said that was a print.

On 3/14/2024 at 3:21 PM, Dave2739 said:

I posted the link to the graphic novel. Nobody ever said that was a print.

I liked the image and said I would look for a litho or a print. However, they don't seem to exist, and I have no interest in hanging a comic page.  I've no idea what the fuss is about.

On 3/14/2024 at 6:47 PM, shadroch said:

I liked the image and said I would look for a litho or a print. However, they don't seem to exist, and I have no interest in hanging a comic page.  I've no idea what the fuss is about.

Is there a fuss? Where?

On 3/13/2024 at 12:11 PM, SpineTic said:

What are your thoughts on Alex Ross and Jack Kirby, or is there no comparison?

No comparison. Jack Kirby told fantastic stories in pictorial form. Alex Ross is capable draws pretty pictures (according to some anyway).

:preach:

I’m a big fan of Alex Ross and eagerly collected his hero / villain covers. He captures these fictional characters as though they’re actually living, breathing entities. 

Kirby though is a genius. 

Who is this Will Alex Ross anyways? (shrug)

On 3/13/2024 at 8:51 PM, jimjum12 said:

I'm not sure anyone ever will. Kirby was a beast ... prolific AND creative. While Ross is one of the most talented artists ever to grace a comic, he is still basically an homage artist, while Kirby spawned worlds. Sometimes, I find it amazing that someone like Kirby could even exist. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Yup.  

Ross, amazingly talented artist.

Kirby, One-Above-All.

lks22ar2ts971.jpg