• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group to Acquire James Spence Authentication
11 11

376 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2024 at 4:02 PM, troydivision1 said:

What does the Signature Series hive mind think -
Will books (like mine below) that took the grade hit to keep a solid label yellow label fair better in the long run vs. a higher grade new yellow and black stripe label?
(presuming the current yellow and green labels on eBay will resubmit for the new label)

IMG_1470.jpg

The books were dropped off at Kirby's house for his signature and picked up later. The belief is that most were signed by Kirby's wife as Kirby's health was poor.  I'm not aware of any passing authentication by BAS - but maybe some have. 

On 5/8/2024 at 5:40 PM, MachoGrande said:

...While the small sampling of collectors represented on this site are quick to call out CGC chicanery, I see far more collectors who simply buy the number on the slab and move on to the next purchase. 

I'd reckon that collectors who simply buy the number on the slab are accessories to the chicanery! 

xD

On 5/8/2024 at 4:18 PM, jcjames said:

Wait, so are they really grading the quality/placement of the signature in UNverfied signatures only... so wouldn't that make a "5.0" or "6.0" signature more of a "nudge-nudge,wink-wink" as to whether it's actually authentic compared to a "8.0" or "9.0" signature??? 

Meanwhile verified signatures completely obliterating the only face on the cover would still have no such quality/placement grade for the signature???

This sounds so very confusing!

ETA: Why would the quality/placement of the signature of an UNverified signature need to be graded anyway??? It's either authentic or not - and it's obvious if it looks bad, sloppy, smeared or terribly-placed. Much more obvious than whether it's authentic.

So again, WHY grade the "quality/placement" of only UNverified signatures now??

This is so true.  I sent in 2 "New Avengers 7" and on one of them Bendis signed RIGHT OVER Spiderwoman's face.  She was really pissed.  And so was I.  lol (I'm not kidding - well maybe a little)

On 5/8/2024 at 8:58 PM, CHWL said:

Thinking of sending this in but awaiting clarification on whether such remark would be deemed to "negatively impact the grade of the comic"...

Screenshot_20240506_202009_eBay.jpg

POSITIVELY IMPACTS THE GRADE - She's Gorgeous!

On 5/8/2024 at 7:11 PM, jcjames said:

Will CGC start "grading" their CGC-witnessed signatures now too? 

If so, why start now? 

If not, then why bother grading "authenticated" signatures in their SS-JSA books? 

So confusing. 

Not really confusing, because the answer to all your questions is...money.

Grading the signatures is idiotic for comics. Will it be a better grade and more expensive if McFarlane uses the whole Todd and not just the letter T in his signature? I can’t control how someone signs. What if someone just has a messy and unpleasant signature, but thats their signature. Are there some signers who can’t get more than a 7.0 because the grader thinks the signature is too sloppy? Do we really trust the graders to give consistent grades for signatures? They can’t be consistent with the books themselves. Hopefully no one falls for this money grab and it just goes away. Remember that the consumers are the ones who drive the hobby. Consumers are the ones who wanted “authenticated” signatures as well as the previous “witnessed” ones. They let it be known by submitting to the other company for this kind of service. Consumers can get rid of grading the actual signatures by not paying for this stupid service. Wait until your signature comes back with a disappointing signature grade and you decide to crack it and resubmit without the signature grade. They will just keep collecting money from all of the resubmits they will get. When does it end?

On 5/9/2024 at 8:29 AM, Mgc015 said:

Grading the signatures is idiotic for comics. Will it be a better grade and more expensive if McFarlane uses the whole Todd and not just the letter T in his signature? I can’t control how someone signs. What if someone just has a messy and unpleasant signature, but thats their signature. Are there some signers who can’t get more than a 7.0 because the grader thinks the signature is too sloppy? Do we really trust the graders to give consistent grades for signatures? They can’t be consistent with the books themselves. Hopefully no one falls for this money grab and it just goes away.

image.png.4efb839ed864cda23d0f19a863a048cc.png

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #307 Signed 2X David Michelinie/Todd McFarlane 1988 Chameleon - Picture 1 of 4

On 5/9/2024 at 11:29 AM, Mgc015 said:

Grading the signatures is idiotic for comics. Will it be a better grade and more expensive if McFarlane uses the whole Todd and not just the letter T in his signature? I can’t control how someone signs. What if someone just has a messy and unpleasant signature, but thats their signature. Are there some signers who can’t get more than a 7.0 because the grader thinks the signature is too sloppy? Do we really trust the graders to give consistent grades for signatures? They can’t be consistent with the books themselves. Hopefully no one falls for this money grab and it just goes away. Remember that the consumers are the ones who drive the hobby. Consumers are the ones who wanted “authenticated” signatures as well as the previous “witnessed” ones. They let it be known by submitting to the other company for this kind of service. Consumers can get rid of grading the actual signatures by not paying for this stupid service. Wait until your signature comes back with a disappointing signature grade and you decide to crack it and resubmit without the signature grade. They will just keep collecting money from all of the resubmits they will get. When does it end?

I give this a 10 for content, a 10 for consistency and a 10 for clarity.  Overall a 9.8 since 10's are unicorns in comics.  (ok 10)

I won't be participating in 'signature grading' - that'll just be fodder for me disagreeing with CGC about yet another grade 

Did they ever explain what they mean with signature grading when they said if there are two it would be the "combined" grade? What the heck does that mean?

On 5/8/2024 at 7:25 AM, MattM CS said:

Correct

So a green label - because of unwitnessed signature(s) - CGC slab is submitted in the intact, undamaged and untampered with holder for signature verification. Could the book not be treated as a reholder for grade/encapsulation purposes?  

With regrading there is a chance that books come back grading lower.  That could result in negative feelings by the owners of such books and less interest in sending in unwitnessed signatures/green label books. 

On 5/8/2024 at 7:58 PM, CHWL said:

Thinking of sending this in but awaiting clarification on whether such remark would be deemed to "negatively impact the grade of the comic"...

Screenshot_20240506_202009_eBay.jpg

Another great example of “why does the BOOK need to be regraded?”  CGC already said it’s a 9.8 now just authenticate the sig and slap the new label on there with the same grade.

I personally would never risk that 9.8 for the new JSA label, especially when you already know it’s an authentic signature.  

On 5/9/2024 at 8:42 PM, Iconic1s said:

Another great example of “why does the BOOK need to be regraded?”

Pretty obvious answer.

Anything could have happened to it since it left CGC's hands. I'd be more concerned if they didn't regrade it, especially with all the book swapping going on.

On 5/9/2024 at 8:59 PM, I like pie said:

Pretty obvious answer.

Anything could have happened to it since it left CGC's hands. I'd be more concerned if they didn't regrade it, especially with all the book swapping going on.

By obvious answer you mean CGC gets paid. This is no different than any other reholder…

… if it appears tampered or damaged then absolutely regrade, otherwise authenticate the signature and not force the owner to risk regrade.

I bet you someone like Heritage won’t be risking regrading for a book like this.