• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alien: Romulus
6 6

83 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2024 at 4:09 PM, Bosco685 said:

With how well Amber Midthunder's character was received and cast one hopes to see Machiko Noguchi get her time to shine on the big screen (including the AvP comics getting reprinted ffs). Booked a ticket for Romulus on Sunday and am super stoked!

Edited by Skylath
Clarification

This movie FAR surpassed my expectations. I didn't even feel like watching it based on the trailers, movie stills, posters etc. I thought it was just a small crew trying to survive against a few facehuggers and maybe an alien or two. Like the Isolation videogame. 

But I have to admit they did a masterful job of marketing this movie. None of the spoilers were present in the trailers or revealed. Their grass roots marketing of people infected in NY started trending on social media. Did you see the popcorn buckets they released through Regal? That in itself made me hyped up for the movie. And it didn't disappoint. You don't have to be well versed in the Alien universe to know what's going on, but there are tons of easter eggs and call backs to the other movies. 

Rating 9/10. 

On 8/19/2024 at 9:30 PM, Lpgk said:

This movie FAR surpassed my expectations. I didn't even feel like watching it based on the trailers, movie stills, posters etc. I thought it was just a small crew trying to survive against a few facehuggers and maybe an alien or two. Like the Isolation videogame. 

But I have to admit they did a masterful job of marketing this movie. None of the spoilers were present in the trailers or revealed. Their grass roots marketing of people infected in NY started trending on social media. Did you see the popcorn buckets they released through Regal? That in itself made me hyped up for the movie. And it didn't disappoint. You don't have to be well versed in the Alien universe to know what's going on, but there are tons of easter eggs and call backs to the other movies. 

Rating 9/10. 

Awesome and glad you enjoyed, speaking of the popcorn bucket we were in line for the prescreen and supposedly they were selling out, but I do know of one guy who bought two and I saw a few more get one!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I would say, better than I feared, not as good as I hoped.  And most of the "not-goodness" relates to what I think of as Jedi-Hand-Waving at a lot of plot points. 

I am a classic nit-picker and there are a lot of nits to pick about this film.  That never stops me from enjoying myself, but I do roll my eyes a bit.  

I mean, just to pick a few specific not super-spoilery-nits that happen fairly early - I am wondering if maybe I missed something - but:

Spoiler

Are we really saying that this group of kids are the only ones who have detected this massive derelict space station drifting above the planet?  And this group of (very poor) kids also just happened to have a space ship to enable them to get there?

Really?  That's massivly convenient.  

(not to mention the fact it makes zero sense that the space station would be left drifting derelict like that at all, given what we learn about it.)

I know, I know.  I'm no fun and should learn to just go with it....

Edited by Axelrod

On 8/19/2024 at 9:57 PM, Axelrod said:

I would say, better than I feared, not as good as I hoped.  And most of the "not-goodness" relates to what I think of as Jedi-Hand-Waving at a lot of plot points. 

I am a classis nit-picker and there are a lot of nits to pick about this film.  That never stops me from enjoying myself, but I do roll my eyes a bit.  

I mean, just to pick a few specific not super-spoilery-nits that happen fairly early - I am wondering if maybe I missed something - but:

Hide contents

Are we really saying that this group of kids are the only ones who have detected this massive derelict space station drifting above the planet?  And this group of (very poor) kids also just happened to have a space ship to enable them to get there?

Really?  That's massivly convenient.  

(not to mention the fact it makes zero sense that the space station would be left drifting derelict like that at all, given what we learn about it.)

I know, I know.  I'm no fun and should learn to just go with it....

Spoiler

Lol yah the only solace is they were kids, but had worked "their time that they should be able to leave?" Yet there are clearly older people there, and it doesn't go into detail of what got them there and etc.

Then why was the power off at the station? When they reboot everything is situated and everything dead or under bio freeze, it is only when the muck about that accidents happen? Yet everything was still fine and no cause for alarm when they arrive and yet the station is still deserted and or abandoned by power.

I also asked this earlier to no response, but having not seen an alien movie or certainly not #1&#2 since being a kid (I saw prometheus) I wasn't sure what to expect. I went with my brother who then saw the poster say ridley Scott and thought of the game, and after avoiding spoilers, but he thought it was decent I think.

On 8/16/2024 at 2:12 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

which brings me to why I responded impatiently because it made me question, don't read this spoiler because it is more spoiler than questions asked so far...

Reveal hidden contents

So presumably it reignites after being sliced open, and that is it in the station dead caught in wires when it pans up? So the opening in the ceiling caused it to die again? but not totally sucked out in space? Then the end protagonist is able to survive in space? When trying to break through the helmet on the chain?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

@Axelrod

On 8/19/2024 at 10:17 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
  Hide contents

Lol yah the only solace is they were kids, but had worked "their time that they should be able to leave?" Yet there are clearly older people there, and it doesn't go into detail of what got them there and etc.

Then why was the power off at the station? When they reboot everything is situated and everything dead or under bio freeze, it is only when the muck about that accidents happen? Yet everything was still fine and no cause for alarm when they arrive and yet the station is still deserted and or abandoned by power.

I also asked this earlier to no response, but having not seen an alien movie or certainly not #1&#2 since being a kid (I saw prometheus) I wasn't sure what to expect. I went with my brother who then saw the poster say ridley Scott and thought of the game, and after avoiding spoilers, but he thought it was decent I think.

Now that I think about it I may can answer my own question

Spoiler

Obviously more showed up in the 3rd act. There were no real dead bodies around except the synthetic at the beginning, presumably the rest of the crew were sucked into the tunnel of doom.

But still when they find the synthetic it pans up to an alien in wires just below a hole to space but it isn't acid and is still dead? And the end being can survive the chain out in space? Those were the only things that puzzled me lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/19/2024 at 11:25 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@Axelrod

Now that I think about it I may can answer my own question

Hide contents

Obviously more showed up in the 3rd act. There were no real dead bodies around except the synthetic at the beginning, presumably the rest of the crew were sucked into the tunnel of doom.

But still when they find the synthetic it pans up to an alien in wires just below a hole to space but it isn't acid and is still dead? And the end being can survive the chain out in space? Those were the only things that puzzled me lol

Spoiler

Oh, the idea that the "Alien" from the 1st movie was just "out there" floating cocooned in space the whole time and the company was simply able to go and pick it up, and then it was still alive, was completely ludicrous, and I wish they had not gone that way with the story.  I do not recall before this film the idea that Aliens do not need to eat or breathe and can survive indefinitely in the vacuum of space.  I also seem to recall that the original Alien was not simply jettisoned into space, but was actually, you know, cooked in the engine of the ship Ripley was flying.  Aliens DO die, when you shoot them with bullets.  And I rather think being fried by the engine of a spaceship would be slightly more damaging than a bullet. But anyway, that was...something.  

Also begs the question, if the company was going back to the planet looking for Aliens, instead of looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack which is a floating man-sized object in space (which they would, incidentally, have no reason to know was even there, and also, incidentally, would not be located anywhere near the remains of the Nostromo wreckage), why not simply go back down to the derelict ship from the first movie on the planet where it's already established there are hundreds of eggs just sitting there? 

Jedi Hand Waving:  There are no issues here.  These are only fun easter eggs.  Move along....

Edited by Axelrod

Fantastic looking movie. I had a few problems with the large amount of call backs and some of the plot holes with the Alien. How they found it seems to stretch things a bit. But overall a solid thumbs up and my 3rd favorite Alien film way behind the first two.

I think this is probably the perfect "Alien" movie for a younger audience that didn't grow up with Alien or Aliens. The type of person who might have seen one of the previous movies and thought... "that's neat" but didn't really get into the franchise.

I enjoyed the movie but it really took me awhile to get into being ok with the CGI/Deep fake version of a certain character. I do like the franchise as a whole so wasn't as annoyed with all the fan service call backs which will probably dissuade some of the more hardcore fandom.

If a studio wanted to try a prequel/soft reboot to entice a younger audience this is the best outcome one could hope for.

6/10 "good not great", can add me to the list of entertained but unimpressed. The film had some positives, but many things I did not like and here they are in no particular order:

Spoiler

1. Andy - the character is such a weird simpleton and I see no reason to do that. When he became re-programed the character became vastly improved and far more interesting to me.

2. The characters. Only Rain stands out, the rest meant nothing to me. Somehow in the first and second film the characters meant more to me which makes their departure from this mortal coil have more impact.

3. Visual look of the Aliens. The xenomorphs, the face huggers - they looked weird to me. I don't know why you have to change how they visually look.

4. More black goo. Is too bad they included this, as it didn't work in Prometheus and it doesn't work here. Honestly it just does not belong in the Alien universe imho. And why would you inject yourself with an unknown? Oh, to get us to...

5. The weird offspring. HATED IT. The movie falls apart for me at this stage, is a shame.

6. Monsters. Once again the aliens are just monsters, the writers have had opportunity after opportunity in multiple films to develop them and they don't, reducing them to a situational monster threat. Is a shame. An example of something they could explore: why is one person simply killed, while another taken for implantation of an embryo? 

7. "Get away from her -  (long pause) - you person_without_enough_empathy" - just awful. 

I think the two directions they could've gone with this is, do we follow the Prometheus/ Covenant path or lean more towards Alien/ Aliens? I think they chose the right one as it more closely follows the themes and ideas of the latter. There are of course references to all the movies, but it seems to fit better with Alien/ Aliens. 

Don't get me wrong, I loved Prometheus, which is my third fave behind Alien/ Aliens. But Covenant was a letdown and I'm glad it didn't continue from there. 

On 8/22/2024 at 7:38 PM, Lpgk said:

I think the two directions they could've gone with this is, do we follow the Prometheus/ Covenant path or lean more towards Alien/ Aliens? I think they chose the right one as it more closely follows the themes and ideas of the latter. There are of course references to all the movies, but it seems to fit better with Alien/ Aliens. 

Don't get me wrong, I loved Prometheus, which is my third fave behind Alien/ Aliens. But Covenant was a letdown and I'm glad it didn't continue from there. 

I would like to see an official continuation of that storyline in some form from Scott, be it a comic, animated feature or even a novel. 

On 8/22/2024 at 8:44 PM, Buzzetta said:

I would like to see an official continuation of that storyline in some form from Scott, be it a comic, animated feature or even a novel. 

I mean... I would even take,  "Aliens! - The Musical"

w1twrbr39vka1.jpg