• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERMAN #1 different printings
7 7

188 posts in this topic

On 3/25/2024 at 7:50 AM, CGC Mike said:

It’s two different printings. We’ve been aware of it for a long time, but we have chosen not to break them out.

I feel like, in general, CGC is reticent to break out clearly distinguishable versions of Very Important, low-population, GA Books. That's true for Superman 1, and it's true for Batman 1.

I can think of some arguments in favor of the current approach, but honestly, it makes me a little sad especially from the standpoint of adequately documenting the history of these books. 

I wonder if anyone who owns a graded copy and doesn't know which ad it has will be reaching for a butter knife and scissors after reading all this. I think I wouldn't be able to resist. 

On 3/25/2024 at 4:33 PM, sfcityduck said:
On 3/25/2024 at 2:26 PM, MrBedrock said:

I've sold 5 or 6 copies in the last twenty years. I never noted the ad page either. Please ad me to the corrupt list.

Context is everything. I wasn't accusing CGC of being corrupt. I was reacting to Marwood's comment that: 

"If that's what drives CGC, then its a corrupt company. Full stop." - and what context is this?

On 3/25/2024 at 3:05 PM, MrBedrock said:

"If that's what drives CGC, then its a corrupt company. Full stop." - and what context is this?

The context has been given, Marwood's opinion, and my "if" statement: "If that's what drives CGC ..." Seems clear to me. I don't know what does or does not drive CGC, but I know what I view as improper motivation if it is coming into play.

On 3/25/2024 at 5:35 PM, sfcityduck said:

The context has been given, Marwood's opinion, and my "if" statement: "If that's what drives CGC ..." Seems clear to me. I don't know what does or does not drive CGC, but I know what I view as improper motivation if it is coming into play.

So then in that context I guess it is okay for me to say "If" you are unsure of someone's motivation "then" you are a (buffoon, imbecile, insufficiently_thoughtful_person, , fill in the choice that works for you) to say they are corrupt.

On 3/25/2024 at 3:47 PM, MrBedrock said:

So then in that context I guess it is okay for me to say "If" you are unsure of someone's motivation "then" you are a (buffoon, imbecile, insufficiently_thoughtful_person, , fill in the choice that works for you) to say they are corrupt.

You missed your calling. But we both know saying "if someone has x motivation, then they are corrupt" is different than saying "if I don't know someone's motivation, then they are corrupt." 

C'mon, you need to do just a bit better before you change careers and head to law school. But I do think you are ready to run for Congress.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 3/25/2024 at 5:50 PM, sfcityduck said:

You missed your calling. But we both know saying "if someone has x motivation, then they are corrupt" is different than saying "if I don't know someone's motivation, then they are corrupt." 

C'mon, you need to do just a bit better before you change careers and head to law school. But I do think you are ready to run for Congress.

Why run for congress or be a lawyer when I can deal comics and be constantly amused by the knee-jerk dumbassery that gets spewed around here.

On 3/25/2024 at 3:59 PM, MrBedrock said:

Why run for congress or be a lawyer when I can deal comics and be constantly amused by the knee-jerk dumbassery that gets spewed around here.

Wise man. Do what makes you happy.

• Administrator

Here you go, guys!

CGC will begin listing in the grader notes which ad appears in Superman #1. For those copies already encapsulated and not confirmed, a high value reholder fee will be applied to check the interior ad and reholder. The ad type will be added to the grader notes. 

On 3/25/2024 at 8:07 PM, CGC Mike said:

Here you go, guys!

CGC will begin listing in the grader notes which ad appears in Superman #1. For those copies already encapsulated and not confirmed, a high value reholder fee will be applied to check the interior ad and reholder. The ad type will be added to the grader notes. 

Wow! Progress. Good job all!

-bc

On 3/25/2024 at 7:07 PM, CGC Mike said:

Here you go, guys!

Although my personal preference would be for them to be listed separately, I understand the community of collectors with skin in this game have traditionally preferred the alternative, and I think this is a perfectly cromulent compromise.

Thanks!

On 3/25/2024 at 8:07 PM, CGC Mike said:

Here you go, guys!

Now that is listening to your customers!

Excellent job CGC!

On 3/25/2024 at 6:07 PM, CGC Mike said:

Here you go, guys!

Fine Mike, I'll stop calling you corrupt. 

On 3/25/2024 at 6:50 PM, woowoo said:

Can I open a thread about the 2 Batman 1s :451621943_canadianbananaflaggif: The Dot or no Dot which was the first print?

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Batman #1 (DC, 1940). One of the most desirable comics printed during the Golden Age, Batman #1 has had so much exposure...

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Batman #1 (DC, 1940) Condition: PR....

Not sure if it's ever been proven which is the first print. All we know for sure is there are way less copies of the "no dot" version.

On 3/25/2024 at 5:07 PM, CGC Mike said:

Here you go, guys!

For the record I never called you corrupt. And I'm impressed by your responsiveness!

On 3/25/2024 at 5:07 PM, CGC Mike said:

Here you go, guys!

The Great and Powerful CEEGEESEA has spoken.  They realized there might be some bucks in getting those 178 copies reslabbed and moved quickly to make it happen.  Does anyone want to guess what the fees would bring in if 100 copies are regraded?

Edited by shadroch

I think this is a good result. Thanks to @Hoarder for restarting the debate and to the CGC higher ups for listening to and acting on the views of all the subsequent contributors.

Perhaps this principle could be adopted for all books with identifiable variations in future.