• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERMAN #1 different printings
7 7

188 posts in this topic

but there's so few high grade copies, so would a buyer choose a first printing 6.0 over an 8.5 later printing?  I think there may be a difference the same grade for one or the other, but condition should rule the day in sales pricing.  Lets say the 8.5 is a Now On Sale/3rd print, and the 8.0 and 7.5 are June 2nd.  Wouldn't everyone want the 8.5?  Or, what is in this scenario, a 7.0 is first print... and the 8.0 and 7.5 are Now On Sale copies -  would a 7.0 sell for more than the 7.5 and 8.0??   With so few copies in the top range, Id be surprised at a lower graded copy surpassing a higher graded copy.  Probably a 2.0 June 2 might fetch a bit less than a Now on Sale copy.

On 3/26/2024 at 10:42 PM, Aman619 said:

but there's so few high grade copies, so would a buyer choose a first printing 6.0 over an 8.5 later printing?  I think there may be a difference the same grade for one or the other, but condition should rule the day in sales pricing.  Lets say the 8.5 is a Now On Sale/3rd print, and the 8.0 and 7.5 are June 2nd.  Wouldn't everyone want the 8.5?  Or, what is in this scenario, a 7.0 is first print... and the 8.0 and 7.5 are Now On Sale copies -  would a 7.0 sell for more than the 7.5 and 8.0??   With so few copies in the top range, Id be surprised at a lower graded copy surpassing a higher graded copy.  Probably a 2.0 June 2 might fetch a bit less than a Now on Sale copy.

I think it is will be just like MC 1 Oct. and Nov. copies.  The highest graded is a Nov. and that will trump all others. But, an Oct. copy is likely to have more value than an equivalent Nov., right?

On 3/27/2024 at 1:42 AM, Aman619 said:

I can only speak for myself, but I would absolutely choose a 6.0 first printing over an 8.5 later printing. I would take a 4.0 first printing over an 8.5 later printing, just like for Marvel Comics 1 I would take a 4.0 October copy over an 8.5 November copy.

On 3/27/2024 at 1:45 AM, sfcityduck said:

I think it is will be just like MC 1 Oct. and Nov. copies.  The highest graded is a Nov. and that will trump all others. But, an Oct. copy is likely to have more value than an equivalent Nov., right?

Absolutely!

On 3/27/2024 at 1:42 AM, Aman619 said:

On 3/27/2024 at 1:45 AM, sfcityduck said:

Just to be clear do the October copies of MC 1 actually say Oct. on the top right? To be honest I never paid much attention but now that I look all I see is Nov. written on every copy I just looked up. Do they all say Nov? And if so how can you tell the difference, especially if it's encapsulated? 

On 3/27/2024 at 6:13 AM, Professor K said:

Just to be clear do the October copies of MC 1 actually say Oct. on the top right? To be honest I never paid much attention but now that I look all I see is Nov. written on every copy I just looked up. Do they all say Nov? And if so how can you tell the difference, especially if it's encapsulated? 

Yes Oct. copies say Oct. where Nov. copies have a black circle.

Ok, thanks both of you. I ask because I just looked up about 30 sales of MC 1 on Heritage and only saw 2 October issues. based on that can it really be said the there is no difference in "market price" between the two? Not than anyone has said that there would be.  Kind of like an Insufficient Data situation. According to these folks the print run difference is 80,000 Oct's and 800,000 Nov's. Pretty huge difference. 

https://www.comics.org/issue/1027902/

Only reason I'm bringing it up is because they say the print runs for Sup 1 were 500,00, 250,000, 150,00. Assuming only the first run has the June 2nd ad  that's pretty close to equal amounts of each two versions. https://www.comics.org/issue/470/

I kind of lost my point now but regarding how this will play out over time I'm pretty much thinking like jimbo again about this. I'd take a lower graded June 2nd copy over a higher graded Now On Sale. Not a 4.0 opposed to an 8.5 but close.   And I don't think many people fortunate enough to have a copy are going to get their book reholdered if and when they sell it, other than some who know they have a June 2nd copy.  So who knows how it will go from here. You're probably right, highest grade will be what matters most to most people. 

On 3/27/2024 at 6:28 AM, Aman619 said:

I’m not a Marvel Comics 1 scholar, but I believe all were printed with October date, but the Later release|printing all have a black overprinted circle that says Nov over the Oct underneath as opposed to a cleaner but more expensive plate change.

mmc1 001.jpg

I can't imagine anyone having their Supes #1 reholdered.  Why pay thousands of dollars to risk finding out (and announcing to the world in the notes) that you don't have a 1st printing?  Unless you owned the book raw and know that it is.

On 3/27/2024 at 8:13 AM, nearmint said:

I can't imagine anyone having their Supes #1 reholdered.  Why pay thousands of dollars to risk finding out (and announcing to the world in the notes) that you don't have a 1st printing?  Unless you owned the book raw and know that it is.

As time goes by, I would expect the market to assume that unless a note says its an "On Sale June 2" version than it is not. So if you don't know, you lose nothing by finding out.

On 3/27/2024 at 8:15 AM, sfcityduck said:

As time goes by, I would expect the market to assume that unless a note says its an "On Sale June 2" version than it is not. So if you don't know, you lose nothing by finding out.

Well, you lose thousands of dollars in reholdering fees.  And I don't think assuming is necessary.  If the notes don't mention which version of the ad is present, then that copy was certified prior to CGC beginning to note it, and therefore it's printing status is undetermined.

I don’t see how this doesn’t cause a stagnation going forward for the later printings. Who’s going to throw around that kind of money even for a lower grade copy knowing that the asterisk that was perhaps long bubbling under the surface is now front and center for everyone henceforth? 

At the very least, if you have a June 2nd version, you should take some of the people in this thread out to a really, really nice dinner!  :whee:

On 3/27/2024 at 8:31 AM, PopKulture said:

I don’t see how this doesn’t cause a stagnation going forward for the later printings. Who’s going to throw around that kind of money even for a lower grade copy knowing that the asterisk that was perhaps long bubbling under the surface is now front and center for everyone henceforth? 

At the very least, if you have a June 2nd version, you should take some of the people in this thread out to a really, really nice dinner!  :whee:

I don't think there are enough Superman 1s out there to cause a "stagnation." 

While a spread might develop, like with Oct. and Nov. copies, it would likely only be with similarly graded copies and not be that big. More of a premium, but one that is not going to render the MH MC 1 less than the most valuable copy. I believe the most valuable MC 1s sold were Nov. copies, right?

Edited by sfcityduck

On 3/27/2024 at 8:31 AM, PopKulture said:

At the very least, if you have a June 2nd version, you should take some of the people in this thread out to a really, really nice dinner!  

Or inversely if you've potentially cost some people hundreds of thousands of dollars by now devaluing their once 1st prints into 2nd and 3rd prints be careful of going down dark alleyways.😁

On 3/27/2024 at 11:21 AM, nearmint said:

Well, you lose thousands of dollars in reholdering fees.  And I don't think assuming is necessary.  If the notes don't mention which version of the ad is present, then that copy was certified prior to CGC beginning to note it, and therefore it's printing status is undetermined.

CGC will reholder the Superman #1 for $50 and note which version it is.

Edited by Crowzilla

On 3/27/2024 at 9:13 AM, Professor K said:

I believe even if the top corner of the cover is missing you can identify the version by the indicia on the inside front cover. The November copies have a black rectangle over the word October and possibly the word November was also added to it. I'm not a Marvel Comics 1 guy - just trying to recall when what I saw a few decades ago.

Also worth noting is Vincent Z. had access to the checking copy of Marvel Comics 1 and he compared it to an October printing to see if there were any changes brought about during the checking process. He did not see any difference between the two.

On 3/27/2024 at 5:54 PM, Vintage_Paper said:

I believe even if the top corner of the cover is missing you can identify the version by the indicia on the inside front cover. The November copies have a black rectangle over the word October and possibly the word November was also added to it. I'm not a Marvel Comics 1 guy - just trying to recall when what I saw a few decades ago.

Also worth noting is Vincent Z. had access to the checking copy of Marvel Comics 1 and he compared it to an October printing to see if there were any changes brought about during the checking process. He did not see any difference between the two.

Not too sure what you mean by "checking copy".  Do you mean the "Pay Copy"?

There's a Batman 1 first printing (aka "no dot" copy) in HA's current auction.  

In rare book parlance, they might actually call this not a first printing but, more specifically, a "first printing, first state" due to an "errata" -- because there are so few "no dot" copies that it's virtually certain it was a mistake caught early in the printing process and corrected before too many copies had been printed.   But whatever you call them, the dotless copies are clearly the first ones off the press.

Edited by BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES