• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERMAN #1 different printings
6 6

187 posts in this topic

Hi,

I think this has been much discussed, but I remember a long ago conversation about different Superman #1 printings and how to tell them apart.  Does anyone recall this?   And is there a demand or value difference that is starting to emerge between the different versions?   thanks

I'm not aware of a different version of Superman 1.   Marvel Comics 1 has two versions- different months listed on the cover. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of?

If it exists, I'll be interested to learn about a second version. People here have much more knowledge than I have on the subject.

I've read several times that there were multiple printings, but I've never seen any evidence of how they differ from one another.  hm

If I recall correctly... and I may be thinking of a different book... there were three printings of Superman #1, but only two distinct variants.  One has an ad for Action Comics that says "on sale soon", or possibly a specific date.  The other variant says "Now on sale".  So the 1st print was obviously the first version, and the 3rd print the last, but nobody knows which version was in the 2nd printing.

Hopefully somebody else can elaborate, or correct me if I'm wrong.

On 3/23/2024 at 2:42 PM, grendelbo said:

According to Superman: The Complete History, M.C. Gaines told Siegel and Shuster what additional content (aside from the Action reprints) to create for this issue in a letter dated 27 March 1939.
The Audit Bureau of Circulation files reveals that there were three printings of this issue in 1939 (500,000 copies, 250,000 copies, and 150,000 copies) (researched by Russ Maheras). The only difference noted is in the house ad for Action Comics #14, which has either an on-sale date of "June 2nd" or just "Now on Sale" (researched by David Bachman)."

Doesn't state which printings have which ad. I suppose the 1st printing, if there is one, would say On Sale June 2nd and the 3rd printing would say Now on Sale. But as far this tells us the ad in the 2nd printing is not indicated......unless I'm missing something. Wouldn't be the first time. I think if there are different printings, what the 2nd print ad states has to be verified in order to begin to differentiate printings with certainty. No matter which one it has , if the ad is to only thing to go on it would only be possible to identify 2 of the 3 printings.

Edit: Just read what OtherEric posted above. Yeah what he said. 

Edited by Professor K

On 3/23/2024 at 6:26 PM, OtherEric said:

If I recall correctly... and I may be thinking of a different book... there were three printings of Superman #1, but only two distinct variants.  One has an ad for Action Comics that says "on sale soon", or possibly a specific date.  The other variant says "Now on sale".  So the 1st print was obviously the first version, and the 3rd print the last, but nobody knows which version was in the 2nd printing.

Hopefully somebody else can elaborate, or correct me if I'm wrong.

The Duck from sfcity seems quite clued up on old variations and printings:

I can find the same info in words everywhere, but pictures seem hard to come by.

On 3/23/2024 at 5:03 PM, shadroch said:

Thankfully, it's both a DC and a reprint so it isn't like there is much demand for it. 

:butbutbutemoji: …it’s not all reprints.

On 3/23/2024 at 3:56 PM, Professor K said:

According to Superman: The Complete History, M.C. Gaines told Siegel and Shuster what additional content (aside from the Action reprints) to create for this issue in a letter dated 27 March 1939.
The Audit Bureau of Circulation files reveals that there were three printings of this issue in 1939 (500,000 copies, 250,000 copies, and 150,000 copies) (researched by Russ Maheras). The only difference noted is in the house ad for Action Comics #14, which has either an on-sale date of "June 2nd" or just "Now on Sale" (researched by David Bachman)."

Doesn't state which printings have which ad. I suppose the 1st printing, if there is one, would say On Sale June 2nd and the 3rd printing would say Now on Sale. But as far this tells us the ad in the 2nd printing is not indicated......unless I'm missing something. Wouldn't be the first time. I think if there are different printings, what the 2nd print ad states has to be verified in order to begin to differentiate printings with certainty. No matter which one it has , if the ad is to only thing to go on it would only be possible to identify 2 of the 3 printings.

Edit: Just read what OtherEric posted above. Yeah what he said. 

I another thread, it was logically argued that the 2nd printing would have likely been produced after June 2nd and should have carried the "Now on Sale" verbiage in the ad—if DC was paying attention to details—which would mean that only the copies stating "On Sale June 2nd" are first editions while all of the others are reprints.

To play Devil's Advocate: Since we only know specific details of 1st and 3rd prints, but don't have those details for the 2nd print, what are they supposed to label it?

First Printing (Maybe Second)

Third Printing (Maybe Second)

Edited by D84

On 3/23/2024 at 8:15 PM, D84 said:

To play Devil's Advocate: Since we only know specific details of 1st and 3rd prints, but don't have those details for the 2nd print, what are they supposed to label it?

First Printing (Maybe Second)

Third Pritung (Maybe Second)

See my post above (posted a sew seconds before yours).

The creator of the original thread pointed out that surveying the existing copies to see what percentage have the "On Sale June 2nd" language would allow us to draw a reasonable conclusion regarding whether the 2nd printing carried that language (which it shouldn't have, since it was likely printed after June 2nd).

If that can be established, the first printing could be labeled as such, but the others could simply be labeled as reprints.

After all, a first edition is a first edition—and a reprint is a reprint.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 3/23/2024 at 7:18 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

See my post above (posted a sew seconds before yours).

The creator of the original thread pointed out that surveying the existing copies to see what percentage have the "On Sale June 2nd" language would allow us to draw a reasonable conclusion regarding whether the 2nd printing carried that language (which it shouldn't have, since it was likely printed after June 2nd).

If that can be established, the first printing could be labeled as such, but the others could simply be labeled as reprints.

After all, a first edition is a first edition—and a reprint is a reprint.

Should have, but since we aren't completely certain, maybe it's best to leave it as is or have a notation about the ad, like June 2nd Action Comics 14 ad or On Sale Now Action Comics 14 ad?

Honestly, I don't know and am just spit balling.

If we know the third printings have a different ad, just note the difference on the label.  It's a book I was never interested in, and couldn't afford if I was. I've never heard this and I can understand why people aren't keen to discuss it. 

On 3/23/2024 at 8:15 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I another thread, it was logically argued that the 2nd printing would have likely been produced after June 2nd and should have carried the "Now on Sale" verbiage in the ad—if DC was paying attention to details—which would mean that only the copies stating "On Sale June 2nd" are first editions while all of the others are reprints.

I haven't seen that but I was thinking the same. The most likely thing is that only the 1st prints would say On Sale June 2nd. But then again if there are 3 prints and the first prints sold like hot cakes as soon as they hit the stands a 2nd printing could have been ordered very soon after ans still said June 2nd. Unlikely but possible. I don't think we'll ever be able to be 100% sure either way. 

Edited by Professor K

On 3/24/2024 at 2:45 AM, Professor K said:

I haven't seen that but I was thinking the same. The most likely thing is that only the 1st prints would say On Sale June 2nd. But then again if there are 3 prints and the first prints sold like hot cakes as soon as they hit the stands a 2nd printing could have been ordered very soon after and still said June 2nd. Unlikely but possible. I don't think we'll ever be able to be 100% sure either way. 

It's reasonable to conclude that the three printings exist in roughly the same proportions as their print runs. If only the first printing carried the "On Sale June 2nd" verbiage, then roughly 56% of existing copies should have it. If both the first and second printings have that verbiage, then roughly 84% of existing copies would have it—that's a big difference. Likewise, the percentage of copies with the "On Sale Now" verbiage would be 44% or 16%.

CGC could know by now if they wanted to. If they've been recording data on that information, they haven't shared it.