• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERMAN #1 different printings
7 7

188 posts in this topic

On 3/25/2024 at 8:07 PM, CGC Mike said:

Here you go, guys!

CGC will begin listing in the grader notes which ad appears in Superman #1. For those copies already encapsulated and not confirmed, a high value reholder fee will be applied to check the interior ad and reholder. The ad type will be added to the grader notes. 

A perfect solution. 

On 3/26/2024 at 12:17 AM, shadroch said:

The Great and Powerful CEEGEESEA has spoken.  They realized there might be some bucks in getting those 178 copies reslabbed and moved quickly to make it happen.  Does anyone want to guess what the fees would bring in if 100 copies are regraded?

I call that a win-win. 

On 3/25/2024 at 11:37 PM, Vintage_Paper said:

The house ad for Batman 1 shows the dot.

Yeah this also was discussed long ago. The argument that “no dot” was the fix for “misplaced dot” seems indisputable. 

On 3/25/2024 at 11:37 PM, Vintage_Paper said:

The house ad for Batman 1 shows the dot.

But the printer was not set up for the dot so after the first few prints, they had to put the dot there. :roflmao:

I don't know anything about the mechanics of comic book printing for the 1940s(or any other time for that matter), so I'd like to ask a general question: Were all copies of a comic series at the time printed at a single plant or were there local publishers or plants in different areas of the country, each printing copies for the local market?

On 3/26/2024 at 6:20 AM, sfcityduck said:

Yeah this also was discussed long ago. The argument that “no dot” was the fix for “misplaced dot” seems indisputable. 

Kerning!

It would be much easier to remove a printing plate element rather than adding one in.  Just chisel that raised dot right off!

On 3/26/2024 at 8:05 AM, samfromcalifornia said:

I don't know anything about the mechanics of comic book printing for the 1940s(or any other time for that matter), so I'd like to ask a general question: Were all copies of a comic series at the time printed at a single plant or were there local publishers or plants in different areas of the country, each printing copies for the local market?

I'm not aware of any company using regional printers.  It would hurt the economy of scale.  Printing 500,000 copies at one site is much cheaper than 125,000 at four different plants, mainly because of the setups involved.  

Most SA/BA books were printed in Sparta, Ill.  In the copper age, some independents used different plants, and a plant in Canada started being used for upscale printing.  Someone else can fill in about GA and modern printing, as I know next to nothing about them.

On 3/26/2024 at 3:17 AM, shadroch said:

The Great and Powerful CEEGEESEA has spoken.  They realized there might be some bucks in getting those 178 copies reslabbed and moved quickly to make it happen.  Does anyone want to guess what the fees would bring in if 100 copies are regraded?

I can guess. 100 x $50 reholder fee is $5000.

But unless you know your copy is an "On sale June 2nd" copy, there is little incentive right now to reholder.

On 3/26/2024 at 3:17 AM, shadroch said:

I'm a peaceable chap but we brought them a problem and they came up with a solution in like a day. They'll put it in the notes from now on. Problem solved. Of course to do this they'll have to look inside the book which means if it's in a holder they gotta crack it. If every owner sent their copy in for a reholder CGC would make 8,900 minus the cost of the holder and paying employees to do the work. What more would you expect them to do? 

On 3/26/2024 at 1:41 PM, Crowzilla said:

I can guess. 100 x $50 reholder fee is $5000.

But unless you know your copy is an "On sale June 2nd" copy, there is little incentive right now to reholder.

Some people might want to know which copy they have, for better or worse.

Of course, people who already know that they're holding a copy that reads "On Sale Now" probably won't be sending their books in any time soon.

On 3/25/2024 at 2:33 PM, sfcityduck said:

Context is everything. I wasn't accusing CGC of being corrupt. I was reacting to Marwood's comment that: 

I would be surprised to learn that you'd suppress information that might inflate the value of a comic you are selling for yourself or a consignor because you don't want to hurt the feeling of some existing Superman 1 owners who might get upset at information about two versions being disseminated (are their really any?). Just as I'd guess that you'd have no problem suggesting that an October copy you were marketing might be a bit cooler than a November copy of MC 1 all other things being equal. Because, after all, you make your money selling comics. But, hey, I can be surprised.

My experience is that Heritage had no problem hyping a variant GA book for me, even though CGC didn't note it on the label, and it did as a result garner a higher price than an equivalent non-variant. I'd expect savvy dealers to act that way - which you obviously are - and I look forward to seeing what happens when a seller asks Heritage to hype an "on sale June 2" ad version.

I suspect for CGC the real problem is that they spend too much time letting themselves be limited by Overstreet.  Which may be smart, because one of the few times I've seen them get out in front of OPG on a cutting edge notation they got it, I believe, wrong (e.g. as to what is Neal Adams' first comic cover).  So maybe CGC is wise to draft in OPG's wake. But my guess is that OPG will split out Superman someday just because they need to come up with new substantive content to keep people buying it as no one cares about their pricing anymore.

you know what that is gonna due to the value of those books the first printings go up and the 3d go down...also CGC offer to reholder all graded superman 1 copies...restored or not with the proper label...Overstreet is a nice blast from the past...this is 2024.  Put it on the label not the notes

Edited by Mmehdy

On 3/26/2024 at 10:05 AM, samfromcalifornia said:

Almost always printed from a single location. That was true in the GA, and it's true now. There have been a handful of exceptions, usually when something weird happened. I know there were some relatively recent DCs that had split printing between two facilities, but I'm not sure if they wound up being distinguishable copies; I'll add that to my to-check-into list. GA, though? One printing site, absolutely. Physical plates were used to print the books, so the cost of local production would have consumed any hope of improved logistics value.

On 3/25/2024 at 8:07 PM, CGC Mike said:

Here you go, guys!

CGC will begin listing in the grader notes which ad appears in Superman #1. For those copies already encapsulated and not confirmed, a high value reholder fee will be applied to check the interior ad and reholder. The ad type will be added to the grader notes. 

Great news Mike! Thanks for your help in finally making this happen. Twenty years ago I was trying to get cgc to start identifying which version it was before encapsulating it so it would be clear which version of the book I would be purchasing. The people in charge at that time wanted to keep this information hidden from the buying public. Are grader notes free to access or does CGC still charge for them?

I feel that with the new label notes for Supes #1, first printing might get a slight premium in value while second and third might remain the same value as how it is. 

For me personally, yeah it's cool if I owned a first print, but I wouldn't mind if I had say a second or third print... 

On 3/26/2024 at 4:40 PM, Vintage_Paper said:

Great news Mike! Thanks for your help in finally making this happen. Twenty years ago I was trying to get cgc to start identifying which version it was before encapsulating it so it would be clear which version of the book I would be purchasing. The people in charge at that time wanted to keep this information hidden from the buying public. Are grader notes free to access or does CGC still charge for them?

Grader Notes are now free and publicly available using the Cert lookup tool on the CGC home page.

-bc

I'm pretty sure I'd be happy to own any printing. For me a less than 30 day difference when it's 31,000 days since the book came out is pretty insignificant. It's not like the later printing was from a new set of plates three years later.

image.png.a92bf351de6ab4ecc060d8108932ddb1.png

Edited by AJD

On 3/26/2024 at 2:12 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Some people might want to know which copy they have, for better or worse.

Of course, people who already know that they're holding a copy that reads "On Sale Now" probably won't be sending their books in any time soon.

On 3/26/2024 at 2:59 PM, Mmehdy said:

you know what that is gonna due to the value of those books the first printings go up and the 3d go down...also CGC offer to reholder all graded superman 1 copies...restored or not with the proper label...Overstreet is a nice blast from the past...this is 2024.  Put it on the label not the notes

On 3/26/2024 at 6:10 PM, Dark Knight said:

I feel that with the new label notes for Supes #1, first printing might get a slight premium in value while second and third might remain the same value as how it is. 

For me personally, yeah it's cool if I owned a first print, but I wouldn't mind if I had say a second or third print... 

You guys have a zillion times more experience in all this than me but I'm leaning toward Mr. M on this one. People are really gonna want that June 2nd version now. And for all the copies that come up for grabs from this day on that don't say which version it is in the notes, well the auction houses are going to be getting a lot of phone calls I believe. "Which version is it?". "WE DON"t KNOW!!!!" Maybe we all should have left this alone. Sometimes not knowing is betta.