• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE GRADE IS IN!! PGM - X-Men 6
5 5

53 posts in this topic

Hi gang,

I purchased this copy of X-Men 6 and my eyes popped out of my head when it arrived.  It's on its way to CGC, so the pics here are what I have, but I hope they're exhaustive enough.  Looking for a prospective grade.  Thanks!

IMG_8851.JPG

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 2.38.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 2.38.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 2.43.13 PM.png

ScreenShot2024-03-26at2_59_46PM.thumb.png.3870ab2507584ce4d75771903519fd6d.png

ScreenShot2024-03-26at2_59_54PM.thumb.png.993411092aec81fd9d9cdd8cd794cffc.png

xmen6if.jpeg

xmen6-cf.jpeg

IMG_8852.JPG

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 2.44.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 2.44.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 2.44.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 2.44.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 2.43.24 PM.png

Edited by Corvonie
grade is in

On 3/27/2024 at 1:37 AM, flying_bison said:

Why is nobody responding to this. Are you intimidated by this gorgeous book? If I was a betting man, I’d lay down some money on a 9.4 

I assumed they all fainted and hadn’t regained consciousness. But now it might be time for a wellness check! 😝

In all seriousness, thanks for the kind words, and for bumping the thread up! 

I was giving opinions on some books last night while I was waiting for replies here, and did notice that grading the mid-grade books was more engaging for me than high-grade, so maybe that’s part of it?

conservatively 8.0/8.5. For me, it's always a wild card when there's possible light tanning & so forth on an older comic. Sometimes it seems to get hammered, other times completely ignored.

Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2024 at 4:29 PM, scburdet said:

conservatively 8.0/8.5. For me, it's always a wild card when there's possible light tanning & so forth on an older comic. Sometimes it seems to get hammered, other times completely ignored.

The thing is, if this book comes back anything lower than a 9.2, then I probably get to crack it and love it and hug it and name it George instead of selling it. So really it’s a no-lose!

Edited by Corvonie

On 3/27/2024 at 11:09 PM, JollyComics said:

Beware of FMV,  they may bump the tier.   You may pay $160 fee.  Maybe more.

I feel this is 9.2/9.4.  Look for the trimming or any restorations but your book looks natural to me.

Thank you! This book is from the collection of a seller I've dealt with over and over and so I'm very confident in its provenance and lack of restoration.  And having examined it myself, I saw no evidence of any.  But generally, on raw books, it is always a possibility.

Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2024 at 11:09 PM, JollyComics said:

Beware of FMV,  they may bump the tier.   You may pay $160 fee.  Maybe more.

I feel this is 9.2/9.4.  Look for the trimming or any restorations but your book looks natural to me.

Yes, thank you! I’m prepped for any eventuality there.  Had a similar experience recently with a Hulk 181.  When they blew up my “high value fee” from $250 to $600, I was like “whoa Nelly!”

Edited by Corvonie

On 3/28/2024 at 2:35 PM, Corvonie said:

Yes, thank you! I’m prepped for any eventuality there.  Had a similar experience recently with a Hulk 181.  When they blew up my “high value fee” from $250 to $600, I was like “whoa Nelly!”

:whatthe:

On 3/28/2024 at 8:34 PM, JollyComics said:

:whatthe:

And then immediately started backing that high value fee into an FMV to try to determine what grade it was 🤣.  Surprisingly on the money, and I had a good guess of how it would come back a few days early!

On 3/28/2024 at 8:13 PM, Corvonie said:

And then immediately started backing that high value fee into an FMV to try to determine what grade it was 🤣.  Surprisingly on the money, and I had a good guess of how it would come back a few days early!

I think CGC is trying to make everyone happy despite the cases were tampered, books were swapped & stolen and unreliable QC. I am planning to submit my books soon but my submission was June 2023.

On 3/29/2024 at 7:54 AM, JollyComics said:

I think CGC is trying to make everyone happy despite the cases were tampered, books were swapped & stolen and unreliable QC. I am planning to submit my books soon but my submission was June 2023.

I don't have any major change of feeling about CGC.  Protect yourself by declaring a real value on your book in case of loss, get insurance if you have big books.  But I will say, after I submitted my 181 is when the second scandal of books being stolen came out and I was like "If this thing is stuck in QC for more than a day I'm gonna start asking for proof of life" lol