• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF #15 CGC 9.0 on the 'link

291 posts in this topic

okay Adam Ill try, although I KNOW you know as much as I do about SA DC history.

Captain Comet doesnt count because its too early relative to the "Silver Age" revivals. And it predated them, but did not CAUSE them.

Martian Manhunter gets serious credit because his character started before Showcase 4 which led to other GA 'reevivals' at DC, which led to renewed sales and interest in comic, and the DC superheroes teamed up in BB28 as the JLA which led to Fantastic Four and the entire Marvel Age.

Now, clearly Flash was an integral JLA member and his first appearance led far more directly to the Challengers, Space Ranger, Adam Strange, Rip Hunter and Green Lantern, on a practically bimonthly pace of Creativity at DC.

And although Flash and Showcase 4 are a stronger link to the Silver Age, Jonn Jonnz was ALSO chosen upfront for the JLA, giving him equal credibility as one of DCs Charter Member Superheroes.

Ergo, his first appearance gets touted as the beginning of the SA by inference. Had Captain Comet or Detective Chimp also been in BB28, maybe those books would have serious adherents to their place as the start of the Silver Age.

how was that? Did I leave anything out?

Much better. Nope.

To summarize, Martian Manhunter gets credit because he was around earlier and got into the party with the big boys. I seem to recall Gore using this kind of logic to describe his creation of the Internet. poke2.gif

I think it is because it stands out in value as a huge spike in a large range of Detectives. confused-smiley-013.gif

Sure, because of a mistaken, although thankfully temporary, belief that it was the beginning of the Silver Age. Sometimes Bob Overstreet walks the prices up but then forgets to walk them back down after they hysteria passes.

The one I really can't figure out is Adventure #210. Imagine $5,300 in guide for the first appearance of Kryto, the Superdog. From my point of view, this must be one of the most overrated and overpriced semi-keys from the DC Silver Age.

No doubt I'll get an argument here from Fishler since I still remember him stating he was personally responsible for making this book what it was and felt that it was worth more than its listed value at the time. Well, I guess time has proved him right since it somehow still retains its high value 10 years later, although I personally think it's totally screwy.gif .

maybe its a tad overvalued. But krypto had a ton of appearances, was a favorite of kids (one supposes) spawned a slew of other. increasingly marginal animal pet buddies, and is a tough book. Hard to see it GAINING in importance going forward, but, did I mention its a tough book??

FFB

I love those Rappin Caps!

Yeah, they're mesmerizing.....kinda freaky and funny.

They make me laugh. Another guy on the forums (Brockley) used to have the "original" clip, which is two young black kids doing what the two Caps are doing in the video. Someone apparently used that as a model for this little clip in my sig and I just lost it when I saw it. I still laugh whenever I sit there and look at it and try to figure out what the guys are saying. 27_laughing.gif

It's the "OH SNAP" sign that makes me laugh. 27_laughing.gif

So, you mean to say that if you had a comic that you thought was SA, suddenly called BA, you wouldn't care? Interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What are we, gangs? No, I wouldn't care. Do I get cooties or something if I own a BA book?

So, you mean to say that if you had a comic that you thought was SA, suddenly called BA, you wouldn't care? Interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What are we, gangs? No, I wouldn't care. Do I get cooties or something if I own a BA book?

MAybe CGC should label the books according to the ages...label chasers poke2.gif

I think this is the first time i've ever heard this, Tim(ulty)...someone actually caring what era the book is from confused-smiley-013.gif

Is the Martian Manhunter a super hero? If he is, he's DC's first Silver Age superhero and Det 225 predates Showcase 4.

Let's see Superman predated Showcase 4 by 18 years so does that make it the start of the Silver Age? Okay, a more recent DC superhero than would be Capt Comet, so is Str Adv 9 the start. And why we are limiting it to DC? You've got a revival of GA heros, including origins, starting at Marvel in Young Men 24 in December 1953. That's a much better pre-dated parallel to what occurred at DC then just another new 50s superhero.

Predate doesn't mean anything if it didn't influence the actual events. If you can make a case for Martian Manhunter being anything other than a second banana I'm all ears. popcorn.gif

No. I agree with you. The reason SHowcase 4 started the Silver Age is that it did influence events. I was bringing up Det 225 merely as chronology. Someone else wondered why ADventure 210 Guides so high. Well, it's a very tough book to find especially in high grade. There are only 2 9.0's and none higher. I know where one of the 9.0's is and it's no longer in it's CGC case. I have asked the owner to please sell it to me whenever he wants to get rid of it. There are actually a lot of Krypto collectors as well as collectors of other super animals like Ace the Bathound. When i was actively involved in doing conventions and had a reputation for selling high grade Silver, I was asked for 210 a lot more than 247. It was lower priced for sure and I'm not saying there are more Krypto collectors than Legion but I will say that among high grade Silver DC collectors 210 has always been very sought after.

Is the Martian Manhunter a super hero? If he is, he's DC's first Silver Age superhero and Det 225 predates Showcase 4.

Let's see Superman predated Showcase 4 by 18 years so does that make it the start of the Silver Age? Okay, a more recent DC superhero than would be Capt Comet, so is Str Adv 9 the start. And why we are limiting it to DC? You've got a revival of GA heros, including origins, starting at Marvel in Young Men 24 in December 1953. That's a much better pre-dated parallel to what occurred at DC then just another new 50s superhero.

Predate doesn't mean anything if it didn't influence the actual events. If you can make a case for Martian Manhunter being anything other than a second banana I'm all ears. popcorn.gif

No. I agree with you. The reason SHowcase 4 started the Silver Age is that it did influence events. I was bringing up Det 225 merely as chronology. Someone else wondered why ADventure 210 Guides so high. Well, it's a very tough book to find especially in high grade. There are only 2 9.0's and none higher. I know where one of the 9.0's is and it's no longer in it's CGC case. I have asked the owner to please sell it to me whenever he wants to get rid of it. There are actually a lot of Krypto collectors as well as collectors of other super animals like Ace the Bathound. When i was actively involved in doing conventions and had a reputation for selling high grade Silver, I was asked for 210 a lot more than 247. It was lower priced for sure and I'm not saying there are more Krypto collectors than Legion but I will say that among high grade Silver DC collectors 210 has always been very sought after.

That's good feedback regarding what you asked about at the conventions. I had no idea Krypto was that popular.

One of the things that I've notice happen over the years is that the hobby gets overly excited about a book (or two) that does seem legitimately undervalued. Some folks are desparate for it because they have always wanted it, others because they heard it's great book, while another group is looking to find at a cheap price so they can flip it. Once the price of the book goes up to match the artificially high demand, the flippers stop looking and you are left with the interest of the collectors, whose ardor may have cooled as reason, rather than emotion, starts to be used in their decision-making process. This is when you find out what the new real price level is for the book.

I'll admit to being very surprised at Adv 210 guiding for as much as it did. The ranks of Silver DC collectors are much thinner than their Marvel counterparts, but then so is the supply of the books. Perhaps the Adv 210 price reflects that there are enough collectors with deep pockets relative to the number of copies who will pay the price for the book. For me, however, I'm guessing there are a lot of other Silver Age DCs that would I think would be a better deal.

That's good feedback regarding what you asked about at the conventions. I had no idea Krypto was that popular.

One of the things that I've notice happen over the years is that the hobby gets overly excited about a book (or two) that does seem legitimately undervalued. Some folks are desparate for it because they have always wanted it, others because they heard it's great book, while another group is looking to find at a cheap price so they can flip it. Once the price of the book goes up to match the artificially high demand, the flippers stop looking and you are left with the interest of the collectors, whose ardor may have cooled as reason, rather than emotion, starts to be used in their decision-making process. This is when you find out what the new real price level is for the book.

I'll admit to being very surprised at Adv 210 guiding for as much as it did. The ranks of Silver DC collectors are much thinner than their Marvel counterparts, but then so is the supply of the books. Perhaps the Adv 210 price reflects that there are enough collectors with deep pockets relative to the number of copies who will pay the price for the book. For me, however, I'm guessing there are a lot of other Silver Age DCs that would I think would be a better deal.

It depends on the price,obviously. The other 210 is on Roter's site with an insanely high price. Not a good deal. If just going by Guide B&B 28, our Army AT War 81, Wonder Woman 105, Showcase 8 come to mind.

the hysteria wasnt short lived...and its still Martian Manhunters first appearance... so it deserves its bump. And hasnt Showcase 4's Guide price far surpassed 225's price since the 'hysteria'? And its really tough in grade, topping out so far at 8.0

I know, I was just giving Esquire a hard time.

yea, yea, after I defended your rear in the General section tonight too. Lucky I didn't see your schtick here first! poke2.gif