• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF #15 CGC 9.0 on the 'link

291 posts in this topic

are you gonna do market reports on here like you did in the old skool OS updates keith? grin.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gifacclaim.gif those were the bests! hail.gif

27_laughing.gif It's cool when board members lose their normal facades every now and then, so we get to see them acting like excited school girls! thumbsup2.gifpoke2.gif

Wow Tom, that is far and away the nicest copy that I've ever seen of that book. What is interesting is that it looks like about a NM- 9.2, and I've never seen a copy of that book that would grade even a VF 8.0 until now. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Shooter's first Legion was Adventure 346.

Yep, and it's a surprisingly difficult book to find in high grade. Christo_pull_hair.gif

yay.gif

346.jpg

Do you think that collectors my age (on the cusp of big earning potential) will have as much interest in silver age books as the generation directly older than us?

I'm only a couple of years older than you, and my interest in Marvels goes all the way back to FF #1.

As long as there is interest in these characters, the era's will be irrelevant. The point of collecting is the "thrill of the hunt", and there isn't much of a hunt required to obtain a nice Hulk 181, ASM #129, GS X-Men #1, or X-Men #94. Actually, there isn't much of a hunt required to pick up any Marvel keys, but the financial challenge is there. And once these newer "grails" are obtained, the logical progression will always be to continue backwards, especially if you're not obsessed with owning "the best". That dosen't mean that SA keys are a good "investment" from the current price points necessarily, but significant demand for early Marvels will always be there.

Do you think that collectors my age (on the cusp of big earning potential) will have as much interest in silver age books as the generation directly older than us?

I'm only a couple of years older than you, and my interest in Marvels goes all the way back to FF #1.

As long as there is interest in these characters, the era's will be irrelevant. The point of collecting is the "thrill of the hunt", and there isn't much of a hunt required to obtain a nice Hulk 181, ASM #129, GS X-Men #1, or X-Men #94. Actually, there isn't much of a hunt required to pick up any Marvel keys, but the financial challenge is there. And once these newer "grails" are obtained, the logical progression will always be to continue backwards, especially if you're not obsessed with owning "the best". That dosen't mean that SA keys are a good "investment" from the current price points necessarily, but significant demand for early Marvels will always be there.

This describes my progression in collecting back-issues to a tee. After purchasing the books you mentioned above in decent grade (8.5 to 9.4), and the Marvel grails like X-Men #1 and ASM #1, the next logical step for me was to move backwards and start collecting GA. I'm 34 years old now.

This describes my progression in collecting back-issues to a tee. After purchasing the books you mentioned above in decent grade (8.5 to 9.4), and the Marvel grails like X-Men #1 and ASM #1, the next logical step for me was to move backwards and start collecting GA. I'm 34 years old now.

Symphony orchestras used to worry that almost all of their patrons were over 50. They were so concerned they initiated all sorts of programs and marketing campaigns to attract the younger but without success. As the years have passed and they have done more research it turns out the patrons have ALWAYS been over 50. So skybolt's comments ring true to me, although I certainly concede that I don't know the overall level of comic collecting interest 15 years from now.

are you gonna do market reports on here like you did in the old skool OS updates keith? grin.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gifacclaim.gif those were the bests! hail.gif

WOuld love to but others are more versed in the market than I. Bob and Steve sell a hell of a lot more books than I do. That said, I'm always willing to put in my two cents worth as to what I think are good buys or where the market is heading. Got a fr/gd All American 16 in the mail today with tape all over the spine. Still, what a thrill!! Have never owned one. Incredibly rare and I think a rock solid book in ANY grade especially one not professionally restored.

WOuld love to but others are more versed in the market than I. Bob and Steve sell a hell of a lot more books than I do. That said, I'm always willing to put in my two cents worth as to what I think are good buys or where the market is heading. Got a fr/gd All American 16 in the mail today with tape all over the spine. Still, what a thrill!! Have never owned one. Incredibly rare and I think a rock solid book in ANY grade especially one not professionally restored.

You'd rather have a book with scotch tape all over the spine that will continue to deteriorate and eat away at the paper than have a professionally restored copy that is archivally stable? screwy.gif

Sorry Keith, but sometimes this whole anti-restoration-at-all-costs perspective crosses the line into the asinine.

just think of all books as "pre-restoration" then. that is, all of us who prefer only unrestored books are only prolonging the day before they get "fixed". After all, once they go to the doctor, theyll be cured completely, no matter how much sicker thsy got by way of a few extra years with a taped spine, in this case. Does it really matter if it gets restored NOW or later??? When Keith sells it, the next guy can get the work doen. No harm.

think of restoration as lost innocence! Once you lose your cherry (and get restored) you can never go back and undo it. (The Church Superman#1 aside!)

You'd rather have a book with scotch tape all over the spine that will continue to deteriorate and eat away at the paper than have a professionally restored copy that is archivally stable? screwy.gif

Sorry Keith, but sometimes this whole anti-restoration-at-all-costs perspective crosses the line into the asinine.

Scott, no need to pick a side here 893naughty-thumb.gif....I can see both sides of the arguement. For the purist, the scotch tape stays. I can find enjoyment in wondering how many hands this comic has passed through, how many times it's been loved, and who else it will find before it's demise....sheesh...almost time to puke...a little too romantic, but you get my meaning. sumo.gifFor the practical collector...conserved for maximum practical enjoyment...longevity, readability..etc.

thumbsup2.gif

What I'd rather have is insignificant. This book will eventually be resold. If it gets restored, it will sell for less than if not. I've seen this happen with a Superman 1, a Flash 1 and an All-Star #8. All were in similar condition. All were nicely restored and all were all but impossible to sell. Is it asinine that a Spidey #1 in NM condition but has a 1/4" tear on the back cover sealed carries the stigma of being repaired? Of course it is but leave the tear alone and the book sells higher than if it's repaired. The anti-restoration mentality is not something I made up, it's part of this industry and gets worse every year. I'm NEVER getting anything restored based on the problems I've had in the past trying to move restored books. As to the tape, it's probably been there over 50 years. I'm not a paper chemist, but how much mored damage can the tape do? keith

What I'd rather have is insignificant. This book will eventually be resold. If it gets restored, it will sell for less than if not. I've seen this happen with a Superman 1, a Flash 1 and an All-Star #8. All were in similar condition. All were nicely restored and all were all but impossible to sell. Is it asinine that a Spidey #1 in NM condition but has a 1/4" tear on the back cover sealed carries the stigma of being repaired? Of course it is but leave the tear alone and the book sells higher than if it's repaired. The anti-restoration mentality is not something I made up, it's part of this industry and gets worse every year. I'm NEVER getting anything restored based on the problems I've had in the past trying to move restored books. As to the tape, it's probably been there over 50 years. I'm not a paper chemist, but how much mored damage can the tape do? keith

The comics themselves will die in a few hundred years (unless very specially stored). The ones with tape will split sooner.

If thats the chemical truth, then we better start buying Copper comics! Because by then, the Baxter and Mando etc paper/plastic compounds will be the oldest remaining comics in the world!! Interesting. Never too soon to plan for the great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandchildren's college education costs!

The comics themselves will die in a few hundred years (unless very specially stored). The ones with tape will split sooner.

How much sooner and,frankly, as much as i love these books, I won't be around to sell or buy them. I think anyone restoring books is asking for financial disaster especially SIlver Age. Personally, I agree, it's crazy but that's the way it's always been and seems to only get worse. BTW, I read a Shooter Legion story today from 1968 and enjoyed it. Also read a 10 cent Action with a Bizarro story. Those sure were fun. Anyone out there with a VF or better Action 252? I'm rambling but back to Adventure 247. If I remember what I saw in Guide yesterday, the 9.2 value is only $800 less than B&B 28!!That seems crazy to me.

I'm rambling but back to Adventure 247. If I remember what I saw in Guide yesterday, the 9.2 value is only $800 less than B&B 28!!That seems crazy to me.

In my admittedly biased mind, that would indicate that the B&B 28 price needs to be increased, not that the Adventure 247 price needs to go down. I can assure you that a true NM copy of Adventure 247 will go for a very healthy multiple over the Guide price, and B&B 28 will go for an even healthier multiple.