• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF #15 CGC 9.0 on the 'link

291 posts in this topic

Heroe's used to be my annual "big show" to attend,but I go to shows mainly to look at the back issues and Baltimore has such a strong dealer line-up plus closer proximity to me.I remember setting up at a Heroe's con in the early 90's with a friend of mine and had the best show I'd ever had.Our table was near the artists alley and Rascally Roy Thomas was in line to see someone for a signing or whatever.He was stuck in front of our table for about 10 minutes and I got the chance to chat with him.I bought a Challengers of the Unknown # 3 from Mike at the show.I also got a nice FF 5 there.I passed on a shot at a VF+ copy of Amazing Adult Fantasy # 15 for $2500,a Cap # 8 (VF+) for $1000,and a FF # 13(nm) for $300.I guess you could say I WASN'T the sharpest tool in the shed,but I sure had fun.Good thing I didn't quit my day job 27_laughing.gif.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Is the 9.6 slabbed?

What do you estimate it is worth?

Yes it's slabbed. As for its worth, this has been a topic of much conversation here. On paper, it should be a $250K book. But the reality of anyone spending that much on a SA book, let alone a SA DC, is another matter. My guess is if Goldman put it up in a no reserve auction, it would go for $150-175K.

Could be Michael Goldman of Motor City.He supposedly has a ridiculously high grade showcase run that he was going to begin slabbing.I've noticed a few new additions to the CGC gallery,could be the story is true.

It IS Goldman, and he HAS slabbed the Showcase run. #1-20 or thereabouts (if memory serves), all from the Newsboy collection. Amazing run of books, virtually every Showcase is the highest certified copy, although I think a few were a tad overgraded.

Could be Michael Goldman of Motor City.He supposedly has a ridiculously high grade showcase run that he was going to begin slabbing.I've noticed a few new additions to the CGC gallery,could be the story is true.

It IS Goldman, and he HAS slabbed the Showcase run. #1-20 or thereabouts (if memory serves), all from the Newsboy collection. Amazing run of books, virtually every Showcase is the highest certified copy, although I think a few were a tad overgraded.

He is missing at least a couple of the issues. I believe #9 is missing.

But I also have a CGC 7.5 copy of Det #225 so I'm partial to that baby too. gossip.gif

Though honestly I am not sure why. I've never really cared for the Martian Manhunter, but strangely enough I was always drawn to this issue.

I think it is because it stands out in value as a huge spike in a large range of Detectives. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think it is because it stands out in value as a huge spike in a large range of Detectives. confused-smiley-013.gif

Sure, because of a mistaken, although thankfully temporary, belief that it was the beginning of the Silver Age. Sometimes Bob Overstreet walks the prices up but then forgets to walk them back down after they hysteria passes.

the hysteria wasnt short lived...and its still Martian Manhunters first appearance... so it deserves its bump. And hasnt Showcase 4's Guide price far surpassed 225's price since the 'hysteria'? And its really tough in grade, topping out so far at 8.0

If Showcase #4 started the Silver Age, then what comic started the Bronze Age?

Perhaps you should ask that question in a different place... like the Bronze Age forum? makepoint.gif And actually, it's been asked and debated at length there already. Unlike GA and SA, there is no clear answer. gossip.gif

the hysteria wasnt short lived...and its still Martian Manhunters first appearance... so it deserves its bump. And hasnt Showcase 4's Guide price far surpassed 225's price since the 'hysteria'? And its really tough in grade, topping out so far at 8.0

I know, I was just giving Esquire a hard time.

Perhaps you should ask that question in a different place... like the Bronze Age forum? makepoint.gif And actually, it's been asked and debated at length there already. Unlike GA and SA, there is no clear answer. gossip.gif

I thought about that but I wanted to see it from SA collectors perspective. They might have a better idea of when the shift begins. It was just a thought.

I thought about that but I wanted to see it from SA collectors perspective. They might have a better idea of when the shift begins. It was just a thought.

Nah, we don't care! 27_laughing.gif

Nah, we don't care! 27_laughing.gif

So, you mean to say that if you had a comic that you thought was SA, suddenly called BA, you wouldn't care? Interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif