• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF #15 CGC 9.0 on the 'link

291 posts in this topic

doesnt matter anymore. There will never be total agreement on the beginning of the BA. OPinions are locked in stone among th evarious books and camps that support them.

I don't see where all the controversy comes from. The beginning of the Bronze Age started with the publication of _________________________. (Answer to come later after you've all sweated about it for a while.) headbang.gif

Is the Martian Manhunter a super hero? If he is, he's DC's first Silver Age superhero and Det 225 predates Showcase 4. While I believe Showcase 4 started it, it's not illogical to credit Det 225. I guess I'll go over to BA section. I would assume it started the month Iron Man "1 and Cap 100 came out but if I remember, there was debate about it starting with Conan #1.

keith

I thought Martian Manhunter premiered in House of Secrets. Guess, I was wrong.

Mark Merlin, House of Secrets.

Martian Manhunter became a backup in House of Mystery.

I thought Martian Manhunter premiered in House of Secrets. Guess, I was wrong.

Mark Merlin, House of Secrets.

Martian Manhunter became a backup in House of Mystery.

I just realized that I was thinking Eclipso. Thanks.

I guess I'll go over to BA section. I would assume it started the month Iron Man "1 and Cap 100 came out but if I remember, there was debate about it starting with Conan #1.

keith

keith,

just go over to one of the greatest thread ever in the history of the CGC forums. acclaim.gif

what book started the bronze age?

bests,

elrod

supapimp thumbsup2.gif

Is the Martian Manhunter a super hero? If he is, he's DC's first Silver Age superhero and Det 225 predates Showcase 4.

Let's see Superman predated Showcase 4 by 18 years so does that make it the start of the Silver Age? Okay, a more recent DC superhero than would be Capt Comet, so is Str Adv 9 the start. And why we are limiting it to DC? You've got a revival of GA heros, including origins, starting at Marvel in Young Men 24 in December 1953. That's a much better pre-dated parallel to what occurred at DC then just another new 50s superhero.

Predate doesn't mean anything if it didn't influence the actual events. If you can make a case for Martian Manhunter being anything other than a second banana I'm all ears. popcorn.gif

okay Adam Ill try, although I KNOW you know as much as I do about SA DC history.

Captain Comet doesnt count because its too early relative to the "Silver Age" revivals. And it predated them, but did not CAUSE them.

Martian Manhunter gets serious credit because his character started before Showcase 4 which led to other GA 'reevivals' at DC, which led to renewed sales and interest in comic, and the DC superheroes teamed up in BB28 as the JLA which led to Fantastic Four and the entire Marvel Age.

Now, clearly Flash was an integral JLA member and his first appearance led far more directly to the Challengers, Space Ranger, Adam Strange, Rip Hunter and Green Lantern, on a practically bimonthly pace of Creativity at DC.

And although Flash and Showcase 4 are a stronger link to the Silver Age, Jonn Jonnz was ALSO chosen upfront for the JLA, giving him equal credibility as one of DCs Charter Member Superheroes.

Ergo, his first appearance gets touted as the beginning of the SA by inference. Had Captain Comet or Detective Chimp also been in BB28, maybe those books would have serious adherents to their place as the start of the Silver Age.

how was that? Did I leave anything out?

FFB

I love those Rappin Caps!

Yeah, they're mesmerizing.....kinda freaky and funny.

They make me laugh. Another guy on the forums (Brockley) used to have the "original" clip, which is two young black kids doing what the two Caps are doing in the video. Someone apparently used that as a model for this little clip in my sig and I just lost it when I saw it. I still laugh whenever I sit there and look at it and try to figure out what the guys are saying. 27_laughing.gif