• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF #15 CGC 9.0 on the 'link

291 posts in this topic

Also, as someone who has primarily been a Marvel silver age collector for most of my life, my very limited perspective has always been that Showcase #4 is a more important book than B&B28. I'd be interested in hearing why you single that book out as a better investment candidate than Showcase #4?

FFB;

Not meaning to speak for Keith here, but my rationale would be the following:

Since Showcase #4 guides for $42K while BB #28 guides for only $8,800; I would also feel that the BB #28 would be a far better investment if both was available for the same multiple to guide. In reality, however, I am quite sure that the BB #28 would sell for a much higher mutiple to guide than the Showcase due to the significant spread between the two in the OS guide.

I guess the real question is at what multiple does the better deal swing from the BB #28 back to the Showcase #4?

thats the deal. Showcase 4 has often been recognized here as one of the few books whose Guide price is far ahead of other keys and hence closer to market prices. And compared to S4, BB28 looks like a steal. Im starting to be very jealous of that crazy guy in HK!

what's up keith! hi.gif

Hey!! Glad I finally wandered back here! My rationale for the B&B 28 is exactly what others here have said. It has ALWAYS been a much tougher book in grade and that goes back 35+ years. CGC has borne this out in the graded copies. It Guides much lower and a "lower" grade copy would represent a better investment IMO. Finding it with white or OW/W pages would also be a plus. Additionally, the potential buyers for the 28 are more numerous than Showcase 4 just from a cost basis. I suspect there are more buyers in the $25-35K range than $100K plus. I doubt the number of Marvel investors will dry up and prices for HG Marvel keys as crazy as they may seem, have always seemed crazy. One of the Marvel plusses is there are so many non-keys that collectors continue to want (FF6,9,14,16,39,46; ASM 28; Strange Tales 107 etc). I don't think this true of Dc's in general although personally I love all the Atom giant insect covers. Investors of Marvels can still stay plenty busy without buying FF1 and the like. WOuld like to hear what Bob thinks of low to mid grade Timelys with great covers as investments. They seem ridiculously cheap to me and are very hard to find untouched.

keith

That B$B #28 sure has a mighty fine ICONIC cover image also.It's hard to find one that doesn't have drool stains on it.One could also argue that it was indirectly responsible for the creation of F.F. # 1.The 28 would probably have investment potential at the OW/W 6.5 level.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

I used to have a next door neighbor named Phillip who "introduced" me to DC comics.He was 12 and I was 6,and at the time(1967),my aunt had given me a huge stack of Marvels.Phillip backed me into a corner one day and said he was going to beat the pulp out of me if I didn't trade them to him.Naturally,I Agreed. flamed.gifI ended up liking them quite a bit.Lots of Superman, Legion,etc.Philip also taught me how to draw which I eventually made a modest profession of for many years.He still continued to strong arm my marvels out of me until we moved 3 years later.Moral of the story...if I had the money I'd buy a tightly graded 6.5 copy of B$B #28 RIGHT NOW!!Happy New Year,my friend and GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Hmm, as the original rant and raver on Keys and what's tough and what's not I really don't know how I could re-state what you've said in a couple of articles.

First on Showcase #4.

The 9.4 was for sale, someone could have purchased it while it was up for Sale at Metropolis. $135K and it was yours. It was not sold to an outside collector.

The 9.6 was graded by Mike and eventually will be for sale. Mike's a dealer the last time I checked.

The 9.2 was previously owned by PGC Mint. It's been offered on Ebay a couple of times and sat at $75,000 for a long time. Yet somehow it has magically appreciated over $50,000 based on it being the only one. How about a collector sale verifying that the book is worth the price? I see this 9.2 only going through dealer hands. If it's so desireable why doesn't a collector step up and buy it? I know of a CGC 7.5 VF- Showcase #4 selling around guide. If it were a FF #1, AF #15 it would be selling for overguide. That tells me while it's a good book it does not command the same premium of other keys. If it were a B&B #28 it would have sold for over guide.

To me there are a very limited number of true Silver Age DC keys because of their Golden Age counterparts. Is All American #16, Golden Age Green Lantern #1, Showcase #22 or Green Lantern #1 (Silver Age) the truely desireable #1? Yes I know the difference between the Golden Age Green Lantern and the Silver Age one but Green Lantern is Green Lantern, No? It's not like there's a Golden Age Fantastic Four or Golden Age Spider-man.

For me All American #16 represents the better of the Golden Age keys while Showcase #22 to me is by far a scarce and tough key to acquire in 8.0 or better than it's Amazing Spider-man equivalent Green Lantern #1 (Amazing that both #1 covers suck).

Having brought a 9.2 Justice League #1, Flash #105 9.2 and a Green Lantern #1 9.0 into the market I know that these keys are tough to find in high grade. If I had to recommend DC Silver Age (#1's) keys my favorites are Brave & the Bold #28, Showcase #22, Justice League #1, Flash #105, Wonder Woman #105. While Showcase #4 to me is a nice book to have I would have to look at more than the fact that it was "first to market" in buying one. And quite frankly I don't find the cover to be that exciting or that good for that matter and I think that has a lot to do with the "selling of the book".

As far as Timely's go I still like them, always have, always will. While Cap #1's seem to be the AS #1 of Golden Age the fact remains that it's still a great book. I like the poor man's Cap #1, All Select #1 and tried but gave up collecting Marvel Mysteries. Unless somebody has $500K and up it's very very difficult to acquire a Marvel Mystery run in high grade. Same goes for Cap's. I don't always think that low grade timely's are cheap considering that in GD - VG they run about $250-350 each.

I like DC Golden Age but know that on some #1's there are quite a few out there competing for the same Golden Age collector. Go to a couple of shows and it's pretty amazing how many #1's of certain titles can be found.

double BAM - - dats a good one too!

Bobs on a roll and I agree with everything above. Im gonna burn my Showcase 4 now too!

Instigator poke2.gif Just thought i'd make a post since i started this thread tongue.gif

First on Showcase #4.

The 9.4 was for sale, someone could have purchased it while it was up for Sale at Metropolis. $135K and it was yours. It was not sold to an outside collector.

The 9.6 was graded by Mike and eventually will be for sale. Mike's a dealer the last time I checked.

The 9.2 was previously owned by PGC Mint. It's been offered on Ebay a couple of times and sat at $75,000 for a long time. Yet somehow it has magically appreciated over $50,000 based on it being the only one. How about a collector sale verifying that the book is worth the price? I see this 9.2 only going through dealer hands. If it's so desireable why doesn't a collector step up and buy it? I know of a CGC 7.5 VF- Showcase #4 selling around guide. If it were a FF #1, AF #15 it would be selling for overguide. That tells me while it's a good book it does not command the same premium of other keys. If it were a B&B #28 it would have sold for over guide.

To me there are a very limited number of true Silver Age DC keys because of their Golden Age counterparts. Is All American #16, Golden Age Green Lantern #1, Showcase #22 or Green Lantern #1 (Silver Age) the truely desireable #1? Yes I know the difference between the Golden Age Green Lantern and the Silver Age one but Green Lantern is Green Lantern, No? It's not like there's a Golden Age Fantastic Four or Golden Age Spider-man.

For me All American #16 represents the better of the Golden Age keys while Showcase #22 to me is by far a scarce and tough key to acquire in 8.0 or better than it's Amazing Spider-man equivalent Green Lantern #1 (Amazing that both #1 covers suck).

Having brought a 9.2 Justice League #1, Flash #105 9.2 and a Green Lantern #1 9.0 into the market I know that these keys are tough to find in high grade. If I had to recommend DC Silver Age (#1's) keys my favorites are Brave & the Bold #28, Showcase #22, Justice League #1, Flash #105, Wonder Woman #105. While Showcase #4 to me is a nice book to have I would have to look at more than the fact that it was "first to market" in buying one. And quite frankly I don't find the cover to be that exciting or that good for that matter and I think that has a lot to do with the "selling of the book".

For a Marvel guy, Bob, your DC analysis is spot on. thumbsup2.gif I totally agree, particularly about the Showcase 4 valuations. I would add Adventure 247 into the mix of desirable books too, and not just because I own it. I`ve got a standing offer for my copy if I should ever choose to dispose of it, which indicates there is some demand for HG copies.

didnt they have it for sale for 60K for a long time on their website?? pretty sure it was up there. Its a tough book and I always was tempted, but its too much. If any SA key is "softer" than Showcase 4 its ADV247... no offense of course. But its just not everybodys 'cup of teens'.

PCE was listing the Mohawk copy, which was a 9.2. And yes, they were asking for something in the neighborhood of $50-60K, which was patently absurd.

It surprises me Adventure 247 is held in such low esteem. The Legion have one of the most loyal followings among DC collectors, probably surpassed only by Batman and JLA fans. Considering that it kicked off one of the longest running SA teams, is notoriously hard to find in high grade, and is priced at only 4 figures in the OS, I don`t think it has nearly the problem with being fully priced that Showcase 4 does.