• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ed Piskor Has Passed
5 5

307 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2024 at 8:35 AM, BrashL said:

This is an extraordinarily bad take. Substitute Ed  for a 32 year old Trans person who was being relentlessly mocked and abused by his community. Substitute a 25 year old rape victim who is drug through the mud for accusing someone of power. To say that their suicides exist in a bubble and they just decided to be suicidal one day is gross. 

That's the problem with social media lynch mobs and whisper campaigns. He can't defend himself because he's already been convicted and sentenced. He already lost all his work, he already had people start to pull away from him for fear of guilt by association. This is exactly why we have a criminal justice system to being with. 

Suicide is never the right solution. It's a bad choice. Do you really disagree?

There is a difference between the situation that Ed faced, an accusation based on his conduct that he may well have thought was not founded and was defensible (at least according to his note) and the situation of a trans person who is facing discrimination and shaming for who they are - something that is not wrongful conduct as the only wrongdoing in that situation is by the shamers. 

I'd agree about the rape victim. That too would be a bad choice. 

You miss the point, we all have personal responsibility for choices. Whether it is to engage in sexual misconduct or to report it. Whether it is to resist the heat that may result from engaging in or reporting that sexual misconduct, or to commit suicide. Here, Ed committed suicide. The alleged victim of his misconduct is being lambasted here and elsewhere, including by you, and yet she has not. Who is making the better choice?

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/2/2024 at 8:46 AM, jimjum12 said:

That still leaves, to me, an unfair burden on a sex biased event. That kind of simplifies it. In a society purported to exist on tenants of equality, that's just not OK. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Correction to my original post "Which does not make every accusation true." Sorry if you were misled. The legal system has a poor record of handling rape victims. I don't anyone who thinks it is balanced or equal.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/2/2024 at 6:15 AM, Prince Namor said:

At any point, she could've just blocked him on social media. Instead, she continued that friendship.

She was never sexually assaulted. If those couple of texts are the WORST that happened... 

You completely misunderstand the factual allegations here. This is not a case of a rape accusation. It is a case of a grooming accusation. Two entirely different things. One is predicated upon force and the other on persuasion. 

Sometimes, something a victim may view as acceptable when they are young - because they trusted the priest, coach, mentor, acquaintance, etc. - becomes revealed in a different light when the victim is older.

I'm sure this will sound heartless, but this is on him. No one made him commit suicide. That was his choice. Why? Because he didn't want to have to defend himself? It was going to be too much work? So he took the quick and easy way out of the situation knowing all the grief it would cause his loved ones. 

On 4/2/2024 at 11:59 AM, sfcityduck said:

Correction to my original post "Which does not make every accusation true." Sorry if you were misled. The legal system has a poor record of handling rape victims. I don't anyone who thinks it is balanced or equal.

Probably one of the best systems in the World, albeit a work in progress. The victims I knew who refused to file charges, did so because of the hassle and the "thoroughness" of the process. That's not necessarily a bad thing, especially for those innocent men in Prison for what amounted to not much more than hearsay. It's an ugly situation, with no real "return to normal". 

On 4/2/2024 at 9:10 AM, jimjum12 said:

Probably one of the best systems in the World, albeit a work in progress. The victims I knew who refused to file charges, did so because of the hassle and the "thoroughness" of the process. That's not necessarily a bad thing, especially for those innocent men in Prison for what amounted to not much more than hearsay. It's an ugly situation, with no real "return to normal". 

Agree our legal system is probably the best in the world. But that doesn't mean its close to perfect. We are constantly striving to improve it.

The problem with rape victims is less the courts than it is the police and prosecutors. Historically, they took the position that it wasn't worth prosecuting a rape case on behalf of a sexually active woman. The notion was something along the lines of is the victim had sex with guy A, B, and C, then she couldn't win a rape case against guy D. Those attitudes have been hard to quash. There have been legal reforms. It does not help that society, including as we even see on posts by some here, want to blame the victim for the sexual misconduct (she shouldn't have dressed so sexy or flirted etc. or here it is "she should have filtered him out" which truly misses the point). 

I agree innocent men get sent to jail. That's most prevalently the case where the issue is identification of the rapist. And that problem usually centers on interracial identification by eye witnesses. Usually when white witnesses identify a black man when they have trouble telling black men apart. The classic example is the race to convict the Central Park Five who were exonerated after the real perp confessed (and DNA evidence confirmed) a decade after the crime. Our system carries that risk. But that risk is not a justification for not prosecuting a crime at all.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/2/2024 at 12:20 PM, sfcityduck said:

But that risk is not a justification for not prosecuting a crime at all.

It still needs to BE a crime, there should be a fairly solid premise. Innocents going to Prison should not be happening. A burden of sufficient proof should be precluding that, better than it is. It ain't OK for it to be "the cost of doing business". That's all I'm saying, and experiences in my life shaped that. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 4/2/2024 at 1:31 PM, thehumantorch said:

Sure, he killed himself and ultimately that was his choice.  But I don't think we should ignore how our behaviour online, or for that matter in person, can affect someone.  This guy's reputation is destroyed, his chosen career is over, and thousands or millions of online haters have attacked him.  He may very well have felt the whole world hated him and his life was over.  

And I think we should also try to imagine the state of mind he was in just before he killed himself.  At the point of despair that he decides to kill himself it might have seemed like the easiest way out to him but is that how we really want situations like this to resolve?  

But this is what I'm saying. His reputation. His career. He could have fought for those. Others have come back from things like this. Of course other factors could have been at play. Maybe he had issues know one knew about that made this worse for him. 

But what's the "fix" for this? Not have people step forward when they think they are a victim? Not cut ties with people if you know it will cost you business? How should this have played out?

On 4/2/2024 at 10:31 AM, thehumantorch said:

Sure, he killed himself and ultimately that was his choice.  But I don't think we should ignore how our behaviour online, or for that matter in person, can affect someone.  This guy's reputation is destroyed, his chosen career is over, and thousands or millions of online haters have attacked him.  He may very well have felt the whole world hated him and his life was over.  

And I think we should also try to imagine the state of mind he was in just before he killed himself.  At the point of despair that he decides to kill himself it might have seemed like the easiest way out to him but is that how we really want situations like this to resolve?  

To answer your question: "No." I am confident that no one wants to see a person commit suicide.

But do we want to blame the alleged victim for speaking out about her experience or deter others from doing so or drive her to suicide by casting her as a murderer as Ed's final message sought to do? "No."

On 4/2/2024 at 11:36 AM, wombat said:

Others have come back from things like this.

Dave Sim is still working, right? 

Didn't he fly an underage girl to some convention where she stayed in his hotel room? He met her when she was 13.  

On 4/2/2024 at 1:48 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

Dave Sim is still working, right? 

Didn't he fly an underage girl to some convention where she stayed in his hotel room? He met her when she was 13.  

and countless other professionals as well both in this industry or others, to the point I actually find it harder to name someone who ACTUALLY has been outright cancelled, as in they have lost all platforms willing to host them and they get zero work in their industry (actual zero work, not just a lack of high profile mainstream work like Gina Carano lost). So many of the 'cancelled'  people simply get propped up by a right-leaning base and have guaranteed income and interviews forever at that point...or come back in a year or two after self reflection and working at it (Dan Harmon is a good example of this)

(also Warren Ellis, he has taken a 'break' since the allegations so has not released new stuff in the last two years while going through mediation, though he is being a jerk and hasn't changed, but has just recently started his newsletter back up and is gearing up for a comeback - something Piskor could have done in perhaps less time as I'm sure his hometown showcase would have simply been rescheduled to a later date once things died down)