• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know the earliest known example of Silver Surfer art?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

hello all...

was just sitting in my massage chair, wondering about life, and I got to thinking...what is the first or earliest known example of Silver Surfer art...I know pages from issue 55 of FF exist...but are there any earlier known?

figured this would be the place to ask

I always like to first check the TCJ article from '85, which we all know was Vartanoff's catalog from 1975-1980, some of which disappeared thereafter of course, but just to know what was around anyway at that time. Still doesn't necessarily mean it exists today, but there's a chance anyway if it was catalogued in the last 50 years or so. Sure enough, FF49, 50 and 51 were present at that time. 48 was missing long before '75, which means it probably walked off shortly after publication. I just wonder if it's in someone's attic or was somehow lost over time and discarded. 

I suspect the pages are in a dusty portfolio, and the owner hasn't figured out how to explain how he/she got hold of them. Allegedly. I think.

Vartanoff's catalog is always good for reference, but still doesn't explain the last 45-50 years if it walked off post cataloguing.

But then again the question really is what is "earliest known" to surface, so FF 55 may be it for now, or at least earliest we'll see in our lifetime. 

On 4/1/2024 at 6:01 PM, Twanj said:

I've been wondering this myself. I think I asked @romitaman at Bill Cox's house. I think he said FF 48-50 haven't surfaced (could be wrong). He also said SS4 cover is known to exist.

the owner of SS 4 cover is known to many...I believe all SS from 68 on, exists and is out there...just wonder about ff 48-50...seems maybe 49 & 50 exist, but never seen a page from them offered or existing?

On 4/1/2024 at 4:01 PM, Twanj said:

I've been wondering this myself. I think I asked @romitaman at Bill Cox's house. I think he said FF 48-50 haven't surfaced (could be wrong). He also said SS4 cover is known to exist.

The cover to #1 is in the HA archives, and in Halperin's collection on his website. 

http://www.jhalpe.com/items/view/01406_2 

On 4/2/2024 at 3:57 PM, buttock said:

The cover to #1 is in the HA archives, and in Halperin's collection on his website. 

http://www.jhalpe.com/items/view/01406_2 

its been touring with the marvel exhibit for some years now...I saw it in seattle 2018

On 4/2/2024 at 2:57 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Doesn't the cover to Fantastic Four 55 exist?

never seen it?...earliest surfer cover I know is beschara and ff 72...fishler has 74, and clink auctioned 77  about 10 years ago...Ive not seen 75....never seen SS 2 or 3 cover...1,4 up seem to have been out there

On 4/2/2024 at 1:37 PM, G.A.tor said:

never seen it?...earliest surfer cover I know is beschara and ff 72...fishler has 74, and clink auctioned 77  about 10 years ago...Ive not seen 75....never seen SS 2 or 3 cover...1,4 up seem to have been out there

On 4/2/2024 at 10:34 PM, Silver Surfer said:

The SS#4 cover I am assuming is owned by the estate or a family member? Can't  even imagine what that would go for in a private sale/auction. 

its owned by a well known collector

On 4/2/2024 at 4:48 PM, greggy said:

Thanks...I googled and found nothing...since issue 55 panel pages are known out there, figured the cover might be too...cool to see

On 4/2/2024 at 7:57 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Doesn't the cover to Fantastic Four 55 exist?

It does.  I've seen it in person on my first trip to Florida from the UK.  Ken Danker owned it at the time, and I'd made a side-trip to visit him along with my friend, Lloyd Braddy (who did the driving) . . . something like 20 years ago.  Impressive piece of art though I seem to remember there being some noticeable glue stains along some of the edges.

Edited by The Voord

On 4/5/2024 at 3:08 PM, The Voord said:

It does.  I've seen it in person on my first trip to Florida from the UK.  Ken Danker owned it at the time, and I'd made a side-trip to visit him along with my friend, Lloyd Braddy (who did the driving) . . . something like 20 years ago.  Impressive piece of art though I seem to remember there being some noticeable glue stains along some of the edges.

I think Bill (William) Woo was the last person I know for sure owned it. It was never a secret, and was or still is on his CAF gallery. It's a cool cover, but is somewhat odd in composition. I used to own a killer half splash from FF 55 (where the Thing punches Silver Surfer out of Alicia's house). Traded it away unfortunately.

On 4/5/2024 at 8:01 PM, stinkininkin said:

I think Bill (William) Woo was the last person I know for sure owned it. It was never a secret, and was or still is on his CAF gallery. It's a cool cover, but is somewhat odd in composition. I used to own a killer half splash from FF 55 (where the Thing punches Silver Surfer out of Alicia's house). Traded it away unfortunately.

I owned the pages on either side of yours. Sigh.