• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Complete New Adventure Run, At Long Last
10 10

162 posts in this topic

On 4/10/2024 at 5:56 PM, RareHighGrade said:

My personal White Whale was issue #27.  I searched for decades for a nice copy, with no luck.  I eventually resigned myself to the fact that I would never be able to finish the run.

But then the Ian Levine collection of pre-hero DCs came up for auction.  Ian’s pre-hero run, although complete, consisted almost entirely of low grade and restored books.  Imagine my surprise when I discovered that, tucked away among them, was this breath-taking unrestored beauty.  The hole in my collection was finally filled.   

This issue has the earliest shark cover in comics, as well as an interior ad for Action Comics #1.

NewAdv.27.jpg

(worship) Probably my favorite one in the run. Don’t think I have ever run into one I could buy. Maybe some day…

On 4/11/2024 at 9:05 AM, RareHighGrade said:

Issue #28 is another very tough book, with only 8 Universal copies in the census.  It has a great cover depicting armed pirates taking over a vessel.  The captain’s distressed look is understandable, given that his undersized billy club is likely to prove ineffective against his assailants’ swords and guns.  If you look closely, you can see Flessel’s signature subtly hidden along the ropes. 

This non-pedigree CGC 9.0 copy tops the census.  No one has seen a Church copy.

8.0 ^^

On 4/9/2024 at 10:04 AM, RareHighGrade said:

Issue #24 is considered by many to be a Flessel masterpiece.  I agree. 

My copy is a CGC 8.5.

NewAdv.24.jpg

An absolute masterpiece. Beautiful.

On 4/10/2024 at 10:07 PM, RareHighGrade said:

With the exception of when he was impersonating another artist (e.g., NA #16 (Shuster) and Tec #18 (O'Mealia)), Flessel typically signed his covers.  Can you spot where he signed the NA #27?

i had to really enlarge the image to find it !

On 4/11/2024 at 12:05 PM, RareHighGrade said:

given that his undersized billy club

:gossip: belaying pin

Belaying_Pin_(PSF).jpg

On 4/11/2024 at 8:49 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Issue #29.  8 Universal copies in the census.  Another action-packed cover:  A French Legionnaire is getting ready to body-slam one of his adversaries.

NewAdv.29(MH).jpg

This book is nearly 86 years old and graded higher than my 1st app of Spider-Gwen.  :jawdrop:

On 4/12/2024 at 8:49 AM, RareHighGrade said:

Issue #29.  8 Universal copies in the census.  Another action-packed cover:  A French Legionnaire is getting ready to body-slam one of his adversaries.

NewAdv.29(MH).jpg

Love this cover, and you got it at a nice discount from Mr. Keller, if I recall correctly! 

On 4/12/2024 at 11:47 AM, Silver Surfer said:

The pristine spines on these Church books. Incredible given that they are pushing almost 90 years old.

What blows me away on many of Peter's books, including the non-Churches, is how vivid the colors still are.

On 4/11/2024 at 9:12 PM, tth2 said:

What blows me away on many of Peter's books, including the non-Churches, is how vivid the colors still are.

Yup, it's almost hard to believe when you look at these scans. Hopefully one day we will see proper scans of all the Church Timleys. 

On 4/12/2024 at 10:35 AM, Silver Surfer said:

Yup, it's almost hard to believe when you look at these scans. Hopefully one day we will see proper scans of all the Church Timleys. 

and being later than these books you'd think they'd only be in better condition if that's even possible.

Edited by Bronty

Incredible collecting accomplishment as were the Pre Bat Detectives. My understanding was an unknown number of the earliest Church copies of Detective were not purchased off the newsstand by Edgar but were actually back issue purchases. Anything to that on this run?  You still have both Tec 8s?

On 4/12/2024 at 10:52 AM, Bronty said:

and being later than these books you'd think they'd only be in better condition if that's even possible.

DCs from 1938 - 1940 were printed on much better paper stock than was used for Timely's. They are, from my experience and with some exceptions, the pinnacle copies of the Church collection.