• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Still kicking myself
2 2

19 posts in this topic

So, going back to probably 2005 or so I was getting back into comics after giving up on the hobby in the mid 90's. I found a really nice copy of Hulk #181 on eBay. I decided to bid on it and won it for $1,200. I sent it in to CGC to be graded and it came back as an 8.0. About a year later in 2006 or so I once again gave up on the hobby. I put my CGC 8.0 Hulk 181 up for auction on eBay. It sold for around $500.00. I got back into comics about a year and a half ago and have bought back nearly my entire collection and then some (10 long boxes of raw comics and 6 short boxes of graded books) but I'm quickly losing hope of ever being able to buy another high grade copy of Hulk #181. Oh well. Still kicking myself.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1809448056083976&type=3

Edited by Joel0109

On 4/10/2024 at 9:11 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I'm kicking myself for not buying another 25 copies when I got this one off the rack.  If only we could see the future, eh?  It's easy to have more regrets than joy from this hobby if you focus on lost financial opportunity.

IH - 181.jpg

Well said Matt. 

On 5/5/2024 at 11:12 AM, workingdog said:

Can you imagine how your parents would have reacted if you brought home a Marvel comic titled "The Son of Satan?" :devil:

I think even stupid eight-year-old me knew that one was a non-starter... xD

On 5/5/2024 at 2:24 PM, bc said:

Later in Junior High, had a copy of Crazy magazine confiscated by a study hall teacher.

-bc

You just don’t learn, do you?

I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that you still have monster comics laying around. 

This was in the early to mid 1990's at a small show at the Scottish Rite Center in Oakland.  A seller, whom I had seen there on a previous show, had a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 for $100.  The book was in horrible shape.  I just remember the cover look to have a massive amount of some type of restoration/destruction work done on it.  The cover was horrible.  I didn't even want to look pass the cover since it just looked disgusting.  I tried to talk to down to like $15 or so and he actually did get close to my asking price, but I passed on it.  I regretted not buying it afterwards.

Some time had passed and I visited a shop in Alameda and in one of their boxes was the same AF#15.  I think they had it priced at a couple 100 to $300.  I still couldn't get myself to put up any money for the book because honestly it looked like someone just puked a bunch of paint onto the cover and then let it dry.  There were chunks on the cover which was how bad it was.  Thinking back I should have just bought it for the $20 or so he offered.  

Posted (edited)

Not any major regrets over the Bronze Age, but I regret not pulling the trigger and buying a lot more of this original owner collection when it came to market in the spring of 1999.  It was the Pacific Coast pedigree collection, and while the listing below shows part of the FF and JIM SA runs, over the span of a couple months nearly the entire group of SA Marvel comics in ultra-high grade published from 1962 to 1969 was put on the market by Robert Roter and his Pacific Comic Exchange.  I bought a dozen FFs and JIMs/Thors in May and early June, but by July nearly all of the Marvels from every running SA title were gone.

PacCoastlistings1.thumb.jpg.b5d4290a3ac6507bd31889f491959049.jpg

Edited by namisgr

Posted (edited)

Not quite Bob's level, but I'm still kicking myself for not buying all these sweet, sweet DC horror books from Bob/Vinny in 1998 when they returned from Wondercon with the Oakland collection. doh!

I bought a few, but not enough. Years later I was able to snag the HoS 81 which graded at 9.4, still the highest graded (7 copies in 9.4, none higher).

House of Mystery 174 NM- $100.00
House of Mystery 176 NM $65.00
House of Mystery 177 NM $65.00
House of Mystery 178 NM+ $75.00
House of Mystery 180 NM $49.00
House of Mystery 181 NM+ $49.00
House of Mystery 182 NM+ $65.00
House of Mystery 183 NM $50.00
House of Mystery 184 NM $35.00
House of Mystery 185 NM $35.00
House of Mystery 186 NM+ $35.00
House of Mystery 187 NM+ $35.00
House of Mystery 188 NM+ $35.00
House of Mystery 189 NM+ $40.00
House of Mystery 190 NM+ $30.00
House of Mystery 191 NM+ $40.00
House of Mystery 192 NM+ $39.00
House of Mystery 193 NM+ $36.00
House of Mystery 194 NM+ $40.00
House of Mystery 196 NM+ $30.00
House of Mystery 197 NM $39.00
House of Mystery 198 NM $30.00
House of Mystery 199 NM+ $36.00
House of Mystery 201 NM+ $36.00
House of Mystery 203 NM+ $36.00
House of Secrets 79 VF+ $60.00
House of Secrets 80 VF/NM+ $75.00
House of Secrets 82 NM $65.00
House of Secrets 83 NM+ $70.00
House of Secrets 84 NM $65.00
House of Secrets 85 NM $95.00
House of Secrets 86 NM $65.00
House of Secrets 89 NM+ $70.00
House of Secrets 90 NM $100.00
House of Secrets 92 VF/NM $600.00
House of Secrets 95 NM+/MT $60.00
House of Secrets 96 NM $55.00
House of Secrets 98 MT- $60.00
Edited by drbanner

On 5/10/2024 at 1:00 PM, thehumantorch said:

A new LCS opened up.  This was maybe 1981.  On their walls were about 50 pages of Kirby Forever People and New Gods Original Art.  $50 each which was a lot of money to me at the time.  The good news is I bought one, the bad news is I bought one.  That's easily my biggest BA regret, not putting on my big bronze boy pants and buying them all.

I still have the page and love it.  Kirby's artwork for DC at that time was beautiful and I would suggest as beautiful as his work for Marvel in the 1960s

foreverpeople3.jpg.6738b664a662f1e48c2a31da6241a428.jpg

Great piece, Dave. (thumbsu

Unfortunately, his Fourth World artwork tailed off fast. I can remember the first time I got one of these in a collection, decided to read it, and wondered if I missed something in the story as everyone appeared to be melting in the panels.

New Gods #8

On 5/10/2024 at 1:58 PM, kimik said:

Great piece, Dave. (thumbsu

Unfortunately, his Fourth World artwork tailed off fast. I can remember the first time I got one of these in a collection, decided to read it, and wondered if I missed something in the story as everyone appeared to be melting in the panels.

New Gods #8

Hell, I couldn't read the stuff.  But I love the art.

On 5/5/2024 at 3:24 PM, bc said:

:roflmao: Funny you should mention that title

I got popped in my Catholic Elementary school with a copy of Son of Satan #5 in 4th grade. Was showing it to a friend and a Nun saw it.

Scolded in front of classmates - check!

Dragged to the office - check!

Parents called - check!

Comic book confiscated - check!

Further parental punishment - check!

Later in Junior High, had a copy of Crazy magazine confiscated by a study hall teacher.

-bc

I had a subscription to Crazy in 2nd grade, and my mother's boyfriend tore up a bunch of my issues because I got in trouble at school (for calling one of my teachers a D***, I think).

Posted (edited)

"Let no one despise your youth!" 1 Timothy 4:12 king james version , I think is in the Bible. 

The parents I lived with were firm believers but lived loose, as a child I thought ok what do I do with that info?

I was more strict on myself for straying. I'd visit other parent who was always looking to the Bible for every decision before making it.

I was caught in the middle. My books as a kid concerned mostly copper, so I cant contribute, but to say I trashed a Marvel Spotlight #5 because I bought it raw and read it. I was raised well enough, which is no excuses for my own mistakes, of the two trains of thought I do prefer the straight and narrow now!

Sometimes we think it fun or novelty to read fiction, but some facts are out there that are equally disturbing lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM