• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 Grading Contest Spring Edition Season 3 (#10) Round 2
16 16

214 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 4/26/2024 at 8:25 PM, William-James88 said:

Sorry I missed round 2 Mike. 
can my name please be removed from “bumps” going forward?

You were flagged for the beginning of round 3.  Since you didn't submit your grades, you will be removed from the spreadsheet.  So there should be no more bumps from me. (Unless I forget to remove you for the posting of round 4)

• Administrator
On 4/26/2024 at 8:52 PM, AJD said:

Wow, after doing a Hindenburg impersonation in round 1, I think I'll take four bulls and the +2 for my correct grade on that "9.6"

Nicely done.  I can confirm this was the best score I received.  Hopefully, I will be able to post a better selection of music for the round 3 reveal.  :wishluck:

On 4/26/2024 at 5:02 PM, CGC Mike said:

ROUND 2

JLA #42

Very light wear all corners of cover

Very light foxing back cover

Spine stress lines

Marvel Spotlight #6

Very small crease right center front cover breaks color

Very light spine stress lines to cover

Very light, multiple shadow back cover

Strange Tales #180

Light wear all corners of cover

Transformers #1

Light spine stress lines break color

Superman #50

Small, light crease top back cover

Spine stress lines

Staple tear top staple

I'm going 9.6 for all of them!

:baiting:

Much better this round but yea the Spotlight, albeit a decent book, but with that bottom edge and corner and shadows on the back had me thinking it was about the same as the Transformers which I had at 9.2. :facepalm:(shrug)

8 points this round. Transformers killed me I went 8.5. I literally just submitted a copy of that book to CGC at Megacon and got a 9.4 and mine looked much better than this one. I thought for sure the back had a big yellow stain. 

On 4/26/2024 at 8:14 PM, Point Five said:

pretty much tune out dust shadows

Hmm. I've got shadowed books that got dinged harder than that. TBF, if the preliminary notes hadn't mentioned the shadow, I would have gone higher, but still wouldn't have guessed 9.6. Also TBF, grading high grade comics in scans is hard. I feel like I'm trying to find the hidden defects

On 4/26/2024 at 10:34 PM, scburdet said:
On 4/26/2024 at 8:14 PM, Point Five said:

pretty much tune out dust shadows

Hmm. I've got shadowed books that got dinged harder than that. TBF, if the preliminary notes hadn't mentioned the shadow, I would have gone higher, but still wouldn't have guessed 9.6. Also TBF, grading high grade comics in scans is hard. I feel like I'm trying to find the hidden defects

Ah, fair enough. It's been a while TBH but I do remember some GA books with heavy dust shadows getting into the 9s.

On 4/26/2024 at 9:34 PM, scburdet said:

TBF, grading high grade comics in scans is hard. I feel like I'm trying to find the hidden defects

I have a tendency to zoom way in and say "dang, look at that crease" or "that stain is huge". Fortunately I usually catch myself by holding a comic up to the screen and sizing the picture before passing final judgment.

8 points 

JLA #42 was the big one for myself and my son, we went 8.5 based on the foxing. the others were within 1 point for each book.

My 12 year old boy is loving the competition though, his only flaw is he doesn't quite understand the production values of the eras and therefore he grades a modern to the same criteria as a silver age - to a 12 year old the concept of 'this book was made 55 years ago, that little scuff is nothing in the scheme of things' whilst a book like Superman #50 is still 30 years old - to a 12 year old they are both ancient! :preach:  and are graded on the same harshness....and to him everyone on the forum would be a fossil (but he's too polite to say as much!)

On 4/26/2024 at 10:34 PM, scburdet said:

Same on my shadowed books here.  I believe the grading standards with respect to certain defects have gotten very lenient.