• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 Grading Contest Spring Edition Season 3 (#10) Round 2
16 16

214 posts in this topic

On 4/28/2024 at 8:30 AM, Axelrod said:

You can't please all of the people all of the time.  Or some of the people any of the time.  I think mixing it up has been great.  

I appreciate these contests and everything you do for this community. 

I find the moderns much more difficult than GA, but I don't mind. Noticing the pain and wanting the pain to stop are different things. In this case, it's good practice.

• Administrator
On 4/28/2024 at 1:49 PM, Superman2006 said:

That's very generous of you, @Get Marwood & I!  Given my expected results on this last round of books, I'll be lucky if I'm in a position to compete for 6th place lol

Following are the 6th place results from the prior contests:

C1: 4 participants tied for 3rd through 6th place.

C2: 4 participants tied for 6th through 9th place.

C3: 5 participants tied for 5th through 9th place.

C4: 2 participants tied for 6th through 7th place.

C5: 3 participants tied for 6th though 8th place.

C6: 3 participants tied for 5th through 7th place.

C7: 5 participants tied for 3rd through 7th place.

C8: 8 participants tied for 6th through 13th place.

C9: 1 participant finished alone in 6th place.

One option to settle the tie for 6th place would be to have those tied for 6th place to grade a set of tie breaker books (could use the same books that any participants that are tied for 1st, 2nd &/or 3rd use for their tie breaker), etc.  Then need to decide what to do from there, such as giving the 6th place prize to the winner of the tie-breaker (with or without allowing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place finisher to win more than one prize; see C1 and C7 above for example), or some other approach (note that giving the 6th place prize to the winner of tie-breaker would prevent someone from trying to tank it in the tie-breaker, e.g. if 3 players tied for 4th through 6th, and 6th place prize given to someone that finished in 6th including the tie-breaker, then all players might grade every book a 0.5, or a 9.8 in the tie-breaker to try to get the worst score in the tie-breaker). Or @CGC Mike could just pull a number from a hat, or do something else that doesn't take a lot of additional effort!

If there is a tie, I may have 2 books stashed away somewhere.  If there is still a tie after that, we could use this like we do to determine our 3 winners for the contest.

In the event that there is still a tie, This criteria will be used to determine the final rankings.  If #1 doesn't reveal a winner, #2 will be used ect...

1) Most cumulative Bullseyes  (Bullseyes in tiebreaker round count)

2) Most Books off by 1 grade

3) Most Books off by 2 grades

4) First Book in order listed to get Bullseye

5) Second Book in order listed to get Bullseye

Here are the people participating in the tiebreaker round:

On 4/28/2024 at 6:44 PM, CGC Mike said:

If there is a tie, I may have 2 books stashed away somewhere.  If there is still a tie after that, we could use this like we do to determine our 3 winners for the contest.

In the event that there is still a tie, This criteria will be used to determine the final rankings.  If #1 doesn't reveal a winner, #2 will be used ect...

1) Most cumulative Bullseyes  (Bullseyes in tiebreaker round count)

2) Most Books off by 1 grade

3) Most Books off by 2 grades

4) First Book in order listed to get Bullseye

5) Second Book in order listed to get Bullseye

Here are the people participating in the tiebreaker round:

That sounds great. Thanks again for all that you do Mike! You are awesome!

And thanks again to @Get Marwood & I for the generous donation, giving hope to me and others that aren't optimistic about sniffing a top 3 finish this time around!

On 4/26/2024 at 8:11 PM, JollyComics said:

My former Marvel Spotlight #6 is much better that book but I got 9.0!!!!!

9.6 with some dust shadows????? No way!!!!!  This is rigged!

I also hit that hard down to 8.5. Definitely disagree with that books grade 

7 points 

On 4/28/2024 at 4:44 PM, CGC Mike said:

I'll repeat what I said here: this race is gonna be all peloton, no breakaway, unless we see some low/mid-grade specimens.  Hence, I think it's entirely possible that 6~12 contestants are tied for the lead just prior to the Tiebreaker Round.  Maximum bunching is a feature common to most contests that test only one or two skills (like counting spine ticks and color breaks).  Think Tour de France, but with no mountain stages that test the full range of each rider's fitness/skill.

At the half-way point, we have 27 contestants within 3 points of the lead ( :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe: ) and 58 players within 6 points of the lead (which I believe is an all-time high).

• Administrator
On 4/29/2024 at 4:18 AM, zzutak said:

I'll repeat what I said here: this race is gonna be all peloton, no breakaway, unless we see some low/mid-grade specimens.  Hence, I think it's entirely possible that 6~12 contestants are tied for the lead just prior to the Tiebreaker Round.  Maximum bunching is a feature common to most contests that test only one or two skills (like counting spine ticks and color breaks).  Think Tour de France, but with no mountain stages that test the full range of each rider's fitness/skill.

On 4/29/2024 at 4:34 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

When it's all over, we may find that grading the actual books was easier than working out who to give 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th to :eek:

I think it will be a walk in the park. 

Spoiler

During a thunder and lightning storm.  :lightning:    :1447043766_rainandclouds:   :lightning:

On 4/29/2024 at 4:34 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

It should be a fun finish, zzu.

When it's all over, we may find that grading the actual books was easier than working out who to give 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th to :eek:

16590520020611.jpg.4b64db6d4f298f6b0aea771e1cbe5cf1.jpg

I’m going to need a strong lead out train and a tail wind to move up from 12 points. Bunch sprints are not easy to win,

Still playing along unofficially (cant finish it so did not sign up this time).

First round I landed on 5. This time I had 4 with two bullseyes, so grand unofficial total of 9 through two rounds. Toughest one for me this round was the Ghost where I picked up 2 points.